A Couple Of Large Crops From The New FE70-300G

There was some event going on up the street from my home on the side of the hill at least a block or more down. All I could see was some flags. So I slapped on my new 70-300G I just got onto my A7RII to see if it could get me in touch with what was going on. These are 2 full sized crops from the central portion of what I was aiming at. I'm mightily impressed with the sharpness, contrast and color of this lens so far. Not to mention it's weight and size. Obviously too large to upload here but feel free to visit my site where they are with the links.

http://www.pbase.com/traveler/image/163167233

http://www.pbase.com/traveler/image/163167234

Guest Peter Kelly

Please accept my apologies (I may be being silly), but the crops don't mean much to me. Would you be able to post the whole of the outdoor shots, so I can get a comparative feel of the result?

Your second postings (indoors) seem to have a lot of really good, sharp detail, so are they complete? They do look like a very decent result.

I regret to have to mention that while I was using this lens I came upon the realization that the 1st copy I got had no ability to provide perfect sharpness at 300mm across the entire frame, regardless of what f stop I used. I got it replaced yesterday, and after testing that one out discovered it was even worse and on the opposite side (left side). I was very bummed out. The center of the image at 300mm would always be super sharp but the main reason I switched over to this from a 70-200G f4 was to get the extra 100mm, assuming it would provide the sharpness equal at all corners stopped down. Sadly it does NOT do that at 300mm. It will of course do that at 200mm I found, but sad to say I'd prefer the 70-200 if it can do that, and it can. I returned this 2nd copy and after showing examples of the issues these lenses had been providing he packed them both back up for Sony to deal with. I took a new 70-200G f4 home after having brought my camera there and before I left we tested it out. It was sharp even wide open so I had NO qualms about accepting this. I'll just live with the performance of this lens fine after all. At least now if I want to shoot an entire mountain range it will ALL be nice and sharp.  :D

decisive:  Not sure what you are seeing, or whether you are just very unlucky and got two bad copies.  I took a number brick wall shots today (which I hate doing) with my new FE 70-300, and I got sharpness across the frame at all focal lengths--including at 300mm--and at all apertures, except for some very, very slight softening in the corners wide open at the wide end (not enough that would even be noticed except possibly in prints larger that 24" x 36").   Attached image was shot at 300mm f/11.

decisive:  Not sure what you are seeing, or whether you are just very unlucky and got two bad copies.  I took a number brick wall shots today (which I hate doing) with my new FE 70-300, and I got sharpness across the frame at all focal lengths--including at 300mm--and at all apertures, except for some very, very slight softening in the corners wide open at the wide end (not enough that would even be noticed except possibly in prints larger that 24" x 36").   Attached image was shot at 300mm f/11.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Peter Kelly

That is a very sharp brick wall.

I have no idea about the lens...but that is a very sharp brick wall!

dcisive,

I continue to believe we are probably dealing with the combination of two factors here: Sony QC issues plus bad luck on your part in getting not one but two bad copies.  I suppose if you are either pixel peeping at 200% or more or are printing at extremely large sizes to cover entire walls you might notice a difference, but for all my purposes I see no real border or corner issues at F8 / F11 (the only 2 apertures I tested at), even for subjects close to 2 miles away.