Sony 50mm F/1.8 - Slow Autofocus

Hi all,

I just got my Sony 50mm FE f/1.8 lens from Amazon.

Anyone else have one?

The autofocus is pretty sluggish and I'm wondering if I'm the only one. I want to make sure I didn't get a bad copy.

I was kind of hoping it would be good enough for me to sell the 55mm f/1.8 and pocket the cash.

Mine goes back to Amazon today. I was using it as an MF lens last night, which defeats the whole point of buying it. I can use my Konica 57mm f1.4 if that was the objective. I also own about 7 other 45-58mm lenses.

Sad to hear that. I fell in love with the 50mm / 1.8 immediately, and like it even more after a few hundred photos. A few notes on the AF:

• Hybrid AF works with firmware 3.10 on my A7II (of course only in the area which has PDAF spots)
  • Fast and reliable enough for my portrait shooting
  • In cases when the focus struggles with spot focusing, I switch from "Flexible Spot S" to "M" - 300% improvement, almost no misses
  • Stopped down, the focus speed / reliability gets worse. Reason: The aperture does not open to f/1.8 while focussing. Could be fixed in firmware, I guess, but not a big deal for me, because I bought this lens for its usable f/1.8

i like my 50mm f1.8, but it is not the Zeiss 55mm- it is quite similar to the Canon 50mm f1.8 STM II....

I haunts quite a bit in low light- thus i will only use this as my day/ well- lighted lens.  The image quality is superb but not better than 55mm Zeiss.