Does each nex / alpha apsc update yearly bring about better image quality?

Hi guys, got my a6000 last july and I was wondering for those who have been with nex 5,6, 7 etc cameras. Do each upgrade aside of the new features / makes each new nex camera better than the one from the last year and previous generations ?

I'm talking mostly of image quality , the sharpness in pictures.

Vivek, that is a bit harsh and not so useful.

The short answer to the OP is : yes.

The long answer is only a tiny bit. Each new model of the same series, generally speaking has a new sensor.  Whilst they may still use the same lenses, again, the new sensor is almost always better.

For example, the Nex-7 is not so great at high ISO.  In fact I'd argue that the high ISO performance of the Nex-7 is its worst attribute.  The A6000 has a newer 24MP sensor and it is much better at high ISO.

I have also read that the A6000 is tweaked a little to improve extreme corner sharpness over the Nex-7.  Although I can't confirm this.  I own a Nex-7, not an A6000.

However, sharpness is greatly dependant on the lens being used. For example the 16mm E prime is not sharp when compared to the 10-18mm zoom.

Also don't compare the APS-C bodies with the full frame bodies.  One would expect the A7R to be sharper, but comparing a 24MP APS-C vs 24MP FF things can get complicated.  Full frame does not always equal sharper.  FF is pretty sweet though!

As for firmware updates, they often fix bugs, or tweak camera performance.  Generally speaking it is always a good idea to keep your camera up to date.

I hope this provides a little information to answer your question.

Vivek, Not updating FW is just silly. I updated the FW on my a6000 and it has vastly improved the lock on AF.

Check what the OP asked about and keeps repeating- IQ, high ISO perfromance.  Nothing happens with FW update AFAIK.

If that isn't correct, please feel free to point it out.

I suspect that Vivek is right about not increasing sharpness with a firmware update. However, that is not a normal expectation. 

A word of caution about doing an update. Use care when doing the update. I updated my NEX 5t and got a bit sloppy. I managed to brick the thing requiring a visit to the repair center in Texas.

As to the mount comment, I replace the plastic mount with metal ones for both my 5t and 7. Don't know if it made a difference. (I am hoping we are referring to the same "mount")

Well Vivek, the OP wasn´t asking questions about firmware updates but just asked if a new Nex camera was better than its predecessor image quality wise...

I get your comment about the build quality, which some people feel as not as good as expected on the A6000 compared to its predecessor (though I honestly can´t complain about it, I feel it has an excellent quality for its price).

New sensor bring along some improvements even if they might be small from one version to another.

Compare the IQ and especially the high ISO performance of the A6000 to a Nex5... you´ve got to admit that there have been improvements made.

Hell, the A6000´s high ISO performance is way better than that of my A850!

I guess the OP just wants to know if the next A6100 will show some improvements in IQ and high ISO performance compared to the A6000 to decide on buying now or wait until a new camera comes out.

My advice: if you need a camera right now, buy the A6000. If you have a camera that works for you and allows you not to miss any photo opportunities now, you might want to wait for the next APS-C E mount announcement to decide on your buy (either grab a discounted A6000 or a new model).

Well Vivek, the OP wasn´t asking questions about firmware updates but just asked if a new Nex camera was better than its predecessor image quality wise...

I get your comment about the build quality, which some people feel as not as good as expected on the A6000 compared to its predecessor (though I honestly can´t complain about it, I feel it has an excellent quality for its price).

New sensor bring along some improvements even if they might be small from one version to another.

Compare the IQ and especially the high ISO performance of the A6000 to a Nex5... you´ve got to admit that there have been improvements made.

Hell, the A6000´s high ISO performance is way better than that of my A850!

I guess the OP just wants to know if the next A6100 will show some improvements in IQ and high ISO performance compared to the A6000 to decide on buying now or wait until a new camera comes out.

My advice: if you need a camera right now, buy the A6000. If you have a camera that works for you and allows you not to miss any photo opportunities now, you might want to wait for the next APS-C E mount announcement to decide on your buy (either grab a discounted

A6000 or a new model).

I have the a6000 now. Not sure if they will implement ibis on the new a7000 , or a better sensor for better image quality. But I think a 1 year difference won't be that much, so probably the a8000 will be a better 2nd camera

An oversight on my part.  Thanks for pointing that out.

• 1 month later...

For example, the Nex-7 is not so great at high ISO.  In fact I'd argue that the high ISO performance of the Nex-7 is its worst attribute.  The A6000 has a newer 24MP sensor and it is much better at high ISO.

According to DXO the difference is about one third of a stop (RAW) and nothing that I've seen so far leaves me with the impression that the A6000 is 'much better' in low-light but again I'm referring to RAW output here.

I have the Nex-6, -7 and the A-6000. I 

use them interchangeably. If there are

some differences, they haven't proved

significant/noticeable to me. It's mostly

dependent on what you use them for,

and the OP does not specify that, so I

won't bother to either. IOW this thread

is worth twice it's price. [Do the math.]

The OP does mention sharpness and

IQ. Well if you work to maximize those

parameters, then you're using modest

ISO speeds, good glass and favorable

shooting conditions. When you work in

that manner, there will certainly be no

difference among the cameras except

for a few less pixels from the Nex-6 if

you do some serious cropping. At the

same degree of pixelation, the prints

from the Nex-6 will be 3/4 the size of

prints from the Nex-7 or A-6000.

`

You've got a very nice camera, I'd hang onto it for awhile unless the next release has spectacular upgrades you really can't live without. It seems most of Sony's releases have a couple of major features and some smaller tweaks. You can pretty quickly figure out if those are enough drive an upgrade or just tickle GAS.

Until Sony jumps to a new generation of sensors, differences will be marginal. Golem's got it, a 24mp sensor pretty much is what it is, differences between them are relatively small. FWIW, I'm still shooting a Nex5n (16mp), and it does very nice 16x20 prints. It goes in a pocket when A7ii and lens are too big. What you might enjoy thinking about is a camera that does different things. For example, you can jump to full frame for less than a thousand bucks with an A7 these days. That along with your A6000 would give you versatility you would not get in an "A6100".

Sony is doing a lot of lens correction in camera, pretty slick really. The most recent firmware update was to add correction for more lenses, not primarily to fix bugs or make other improvements. To the extent that gives you better images, firmware does improve IQ.