Is it safe to hang camera (A7s) from a single eyelet?

Hi,

I have picked up an OP/TECH Utility Strap Sling for my camera and would like to use it with my A7s.

I would like to know if it is safe to have the camera hanging off a single eyelet? Specifically in my case the one on the right hand side?  I would rather have two points of contact, but it isn't really practical as the strap gets in the way.

To give you an idea of the weight I have a Canon 24-105mm f/4 attached via a Metabones adapter most of the time, however sometimes I would use a Canon 70-200mm f/4.

I have a Manfrotto 501PL tripod plate attached to the camera at all times and therefore can't add another loop on via the tripod thread.

Thanks in advance for the advice with this!

Well I would not hang a camera and lens from a single plastic spring clip ok for a point and shoot I guess.

If the mfg thought it was ok would they not supply straps like that?

Even if the eyelet and strap were built like a towing

hook and chain for a Land Rover, any single-point

dangling action is just begging for a few damaging

encounters with nearby stationary objects. 

As to the "gets in the way" grief with using normal

straps on both eyelets, I have encountered that but

it was always a combination of two culprits: Strap is

too stiff, and camera has those "strap slot" fittings

rather than small eyelets for spiral split rings.

Use a narrow, soft strap and generous sized rings,

and do not snug up the strap hardware close to the

camera body [iOW at LEAST 3" away]. If you can't

get comfy with that, see a therapist for OCDism. I'm

kinda borderline OCD, but the approach outlined  

just above works for me every time ... even with the

dreaded "strap slot" [no rings] camera bodies [such

as the a3000, a worst case scenario].

I once had a Panasonic Lumix G1 held by a neck strap fixed to the eyelets, one came unscrewed internally and the camera crashed to the ground. Fortunately it was a known fault and camera was repaired under warranty.

I now use a tripod screw fixed sling Q strap and have had it unscrew. I always have a safety strap to one eyelet as a backup. 

Don't overlook the fact that using both eyelets just gives you two potential points of failure, if either fails the camera falls free.

• 2 weeks later...

>I have picked up an OP/TECH Utility Strap Sling for my camera and would like to use it with my A7s.

I used this one for a year, have changed to a cheaper one and I am pretty happy with it. Never I had any issues. I walk up to 8 hours in one piece with my A7Rm2 dangle from my left wrist. I recommend it.

PS: I use it also with my 70-200/4 and my Nikon 180/2 which are no lightweight lenses.

I do exactly this using the Op/Tech straps....I use BOTH of the plastic click straps on the right hand point (a bit of a squeeze getting the nylon for both through the right lug)) to avoid the camera falling if one of the STRAP points fail...obviously if the camera lug comes out, it's a single point of failure...but so far not had any problems with an a6000 with 16-70 or 18-105, though this may be lighter than your kit.