Lock focus between several shots with half pressing shutter ?

Hello everyone !

After extensive readings on this forum, I post today to write a question to which I can't find the answer anywhere :)

Back in time, I used to shoot with a Pentax K10D, and was always using the following trick :

I would focus with half-pressing the shutter, then press it completely to shoot, and after that hold it half way to lock the focus and be able to take the next picture with whatever focus point I had on the first shot (without the autofocus having to work again).

I currently shoot a Fuji X100 that won't let me do that (even if I only release the shutter to half way and shoot another pic, the autofocus will start over for the new picture rather than shooting straight away).

I am now about to switch to a A7 and was wondering if I could use it the same way I used to shoot my old K10D.

Unfortunately my local shop let me hold a A7 but not turn it on so I couldn't test myself.

So if one of you users of the A7 could let me know if this is possible with this camera it would be awesome !!

Thanks a lot ! 

No, however I'm sure someone more helpful than me will compose an exhaustive response :wub:

Google knows the answer too     ;)

I use an A7 II.

The easiest way is back button focus.

You turn off the half press shutter button and use the back button with your thumb.

That`s much easier than trying to keep after shooting the shutter button in half position.

Back button focus keeps the focus you did. You can shoot whenever you want with the same focus.

And thth more or less every camera (not pocket-cameras or toys).

Look at your manual how to do that with your camera.

Guest Colin Scott Johnson

@Ingemann

Shoot Continuous Focus and use Back Button Focus (BBF).

Leave it in Continuous all the time.

You don't need Single Focus using BBF, in fact, BBF doesn't work properly unless you shoot Continuous because if anything moves, you will need to re-focus.

By taking your finger off the back button in Continuous Focus mode, you get the equivalent of Single Focus.

It really is the best of both worlds.

Don't confuse Continuous Focus with Continuous Drive mode. They are not the same.

HTH