Steady Shot on A7ii w/ 70-200mm 4.0 FE lens won't work?

I just received an a7ii with a 70-200mm 4.0 FE lens and via the menu turned on the camera's internal steady shot to on and the setting on auto.  I then setup Steady Shot as one of the Fn functions and when I go to activate it I get an error message that "Steady Shot is invalid with this lens".  I'm not sure if it is user error but I was under the impression that the internal steady shot enhances the Optical Steady Shot of the lens by added a couple more axis.  Any advice would be most appreciated.

I spoke with Sony Tech Support today.  They were very helpful.  Informed me that with the a7ii and the 70-200 4.0 lens, you can't activate from the camera side, only the lens side.  Here is their response:

"Upon verifying, the operation is normal with this particular lens. The camera's steadyshot isn't available. You'll need to activate it using the lens Optical Steady Shot switch.  The camera's SteadyShot is already active, its stabilization is working hand in hand with the lens. The reason why you are not given an option to turn it on is because of the 5 axis stabilization. If for example that there's an option to turn it on, you'll be getting a 3 axis instead 5 when using the SEL70200."

• 4 years later...