Poll: Will you buy one of the new Sony FE lenses?

Interested in new Sony lenses?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy one of the new Sony lenses?

• Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 FE
    • Sony 90mm f/2.8 FE
    • Sony 24-240mm FE
    • Sony 28mm f/2.0 FE
    • Sony 35mm fisheye converter lens
    • Sorry no - nothing for me...

So whom else bought the lens they've voted for?

I voted for the SEL24240 and bought it. I use the 28-70 FE kit lens for video work, the 55mm 1.8 FE for taking pictures of models, and the 24-240mm FE is my do it all walk around lens for casual use. I'm starting to post my casual for fun pics on flickr here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132260244@N08/sets

That will give people real world examples of what the Sony A7S + SEL24240FE lens can do when taking casual pics. I'm very happy with the lens, so much so that I may actually try using it on a portrait shoot one day using mostly the long end. I'll keep adding more albums to my flickr page as I venture around the city, will probably be at Manhattan Beach tomorrow and will snap some pics while I'm there.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted for the SEL24240 and bought it. I use the 28-70 FE kit lens for video work, the 55mm 1.8 FE for taking pictures of models, and the 24-240mm FE is my do it all walk around lens for casual use. I'm starting to post my casual for fun pics on flickr here:

That will give people real world examples of what the Sony A7S + SEL24240FE lens can do when taking casual pics. I'm very happy with the lens, so much so that I may actually try using it on a portrait shoot one day using mostly the long end. I'll keep adding more albums to my flickr page as I venture around the city, will probably be at Manhattan Beach tomorrow and will snap some pics while I'm there.

Nice photos, that lens is in the shortlist for when I go out with the kids.

• 1 month later...

I also bought the 24-240 zoom (my voted lens) prior to a recent trip to Norway, Faroes, Shetlands, Orkneys and Iceland.  I used it on a Sony A7 II body along with a 28-70 zoom on an A7S.  Shot about 3000 pix with the 24-240 and 1500 with the 28-70.  Very happy with the results off both combinations.  

The 24-240 on an A7 II is NOT a light weight combo but flexible.  The 28-70 on the A7S is much lighter and a great low light combo.  Each combo has its pros/cons and worked well for me.  I also have a Sony FE 70-200 f/4 which will probably become surplus as a result of the 24-240's performance...

bwa

• 3 weeks later...

I will be buying zero glass for my a7m2. It's purpose for me is

to replace the Nikon film bodies that formerly performed image

capture for my bunch of ancient Nikkors.

I received my a7m2 just days ago, hit the road with just an old

35/2.0 and so far I am blowed away by the results. Someday I'll

prolly add a 24-105/2.8 AF or something like that, for those

times I may want a more automated outfit. I'll prolly also get

an LA E3 for my bunch of Maxxum lenses, but no hurry.

I did put my 24-50/4.0 Maxxum on it, using the LA E2, and that

seems a very useful outfit [APS crop defeated, via menu].

That seems to be Sony's thinking, sadly.  What we need is a competitor with a FF sensor mirrorless to kick Sony's rear. 

Hopefully, that will make them do things better.

I have been hoping that Nikon would do that.

Evidently Sony is smart enough not to let anyone else get their hands on the A7s Sensor.

But they are making a huge mistake if they do not use it in a Professional CamCorder.

It will probably be at least 2016 before anyone competes with the A7s.

Panasonic seems reluctant to even use a s35 Sensor in their reasonable priced cameras.

What about the Sony 28-135 Cine? Why not on this list?

Now that I have one, I will be selling my other Sony lens.

• 1 month later...

I also bought the 24-240 zoom (my voted lens) prior to a recent trip to Norway, Faroes, Shetlands, Orkneys and Iceland.  I used it on a Sony A7 II body along with a 28-70 zoom on an A7S.  Shot about 3000 pix with the 24-240 and 1500 with the 28-70.  Very happy with the results off both combinations.  

The 24-240 on an A7 II is NOT a light weight combo but flexible.  The 28-70 on the A7S is much lighter and a great low light combo.  Each combo has its pros/cons and worked well for me.  I also have a Sony FE 70-200 f/4 which will probably become surplus as a result of the 24-240's performance...

bwa

An update...

Just acquired the A7R II.  Sony's 24-240mm works like a charm on it as well!

bwa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As I use my camera (A7Rii) mainly during my travels (SE Asia, Indonesia in particular) I bought it together with the 24-240mm lens. I must admit that I did not have very high expectations of this superzoom, but I find the quality is much better than what I had expected. It may not be perfect - after all it is a superzoom -  but using it was a pleasant surprise. Those five (!) aspherical surfaces appear to do their work! Tremendous computing job by Sony.

The only other lens I will take with me is a Canon EF 100 mm 2.0. (The EF 24-105 mm was stolen with my Canon EOS 5D3.)

Kind regards, Freddy.

• 4 weeks later...

Not new enough to be on the subject list, but I just ordered the FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS for nature, birds etc.

The idea being to mount it on an A6000 to get some extra length, autofocus and decent resolution.

Looking at the comments here I see the 24-240 is all the rage, however unless dxomark really dropped the ball I think the 70-200 is right for my purposes. :)

/A

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 35/1.4 for my A6000, the weight and size of the lens was not an issue for me. For me it's worth the money, I just wish I could get out more and really put it through its paces, I'm very impressed with it so far and I'm looking forward to trying it out on some sports shots.

I also have the 55/1.8, next up will probably be the 28/2..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tested the G 24-105mm against the Canon L 24-105mm with a Metabones EF to E adapter (Mk4), the Sony beats the Canon hands down on my A7rIII, the G lens has very sharp extreme edges even at 105mm f4 and close to the GM 16-35mm f2.8 (16mm) at 24mm. The Canon has similar IQ as my Sony 24-70mm f4 but with a lot more chromatic aberration.

• 1 month later...

Soon I will receive the Sony α7. My arsenal of 20 Pentax and M39 mount  lenses wait to be tested on the new camera with impatience. My only concern is the 28mm focal length (I am not enthusiastic with my Pentax-M 28mm F2,8)  and probably, will serch in the seconhand market for a Pentax-K 28mm F3,5 or a Nikkor AI-s. Zeiss lenses are to expensive and I can afford only the Sony 28mm F2.