Novoflex Adapter Review

Hi folks,

I just published a review of the Novoflex Canon FD to E-mount adapter. 

I was always curious if the more expensive adapters were worth their price.

So if you have asked yourself the same question check it out to read my answer: Novoflex Adapter Review

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Phillip

• 4 weeks later...

Very good review containing very useful and helpful insights on the differences compared to the cheap ones. I really consider it now, because the FD lenses are among the better ones and it would be nice to use a well made adapter to suit them.

Tapatalked with a BlackBerry

• 1 month later...

Put my new Metabones E to M on my new a7R a couple of days ago and banged off some shots with my Lieca Elmar 135 4, just for fun. I knew that with my Fuji X-E1 and it's Metabones X to M adapter that my Elmar was just past the infinity stop, I assumed it would be the same with the new Metabones adapter, and it was, pretty well exactly.

Impressive, as I realized later.

Phillip,

Thanks for your insight on Novoflex adapters.  I ordered a Novoflex adapter for a Nikon ZF.2 to Sony E mount.  I'm renting a Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 for my Sony a7R.

I used a Metabones IV adapter for a Canon EF to Sony E mount .  With this combination I did not get any aperture data and I was unable to adjust my aperture.  I was forced to shot a Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 stopped down to f16.  I understood that the Metabones IV would transmit aperture data and allow adjustment of the aperture with a camera dial.  Am I incorrect?

One footnote.  I rented the Metabones IV adapter.  The rental company's shipping documents specified that I was sent a Metabones IV.  But after I was unable to read aperture data or change the aperture, I compared my rented adapter to the images on Metabones' web site.  I concluded that the rental company shipped a Metabones III rather than a Metabones IV.

Given the problems that I had using a Canon EF mount on my  Sony a7R, I'm looking at the Nikon F mount offered by Zeiss for the Zeiss Otus 85/1.4.  The Nikon offering from Zeiss has an aperture ring on the lens.  I understand that my aperture reading will not show up in my EVF or as EXIF data, but at least I will be able to adjust the aperture.

Your thoughts?

Robert Crawford

• 4 weeks later...

I use the Novoflex Adapter MD-NEX to mount Minolta SR-mount lenses on the A7.

I agree - it is a simple piece of solid workmanship, infinity being pecisely infinity with all lenses that I use.

But it is great only as long as you do not want to attach a tripod directly to the lens, which is definitely recommended for the heavier lenses on the A7.

The tripod-mount-accessory that Novoflex sells is expensive, complicated to mount (you have to remove the adapter from the camera, attach the fitting without fixing it, attach the adapter to the camera again, adjust the mount, fix it .....). And once it is mounted, it is totally in the way because you can´t grap the camera properly an longer.

It would be much easier to have something more practical like e.g. provided Metabones and others.

So if your if applications include heavier lenses without an own tripod mount on tripod, I would not recommend the Novoflex adapter.

Having APS-C and planning to use Minolta wide angle lenses, I would consider a ´speedbooster´-adapter, otherwise you can´t really take advantage of those lenses.

• 7 months later...

Wonderful article. I appreciate the attention to details, including the portion about the reflectiveness of the inner barrel.

I was considering between the Novoflex and the Ciecio7 Canon FD to Sony NEX adapter. Both have no moving parts. Went with the Novoflex in the end.

Cheers,