A few Portraits, Open to critique

David Grano-De-Oro

Just a few Head shots. Let me know what you all think.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The last image is quite nice, the background is not too distracting. And the one with the statue, are those eyes natural color(?) because that one a little closer, with the three colors of the background, and without the "dog", might be pretty interesting.

The last image is quite nice, the background is not too distracting. And the one with the statue, are those eyes natural color(?) because that one a little closer, with the three colors of the background, and without the "dog", might be pretty interesting.

Thanks.

No its not her natural eye color, it was a design choice for the colors going on in the back ground. But the last one is her natural eye color. The 4th photo was a mistake in selecting my images as it was shot using my cell phone. But it dose provide a great comparison between a good smart phone head shot vs my pro kit and post work. The dog was intentional is it was a call back for us to our art history classes together at Savannah College of Art, this was in the Vatican museum. 

https://500px.com/davidgrano-de-oro

With a portrait it is good when the face is turned toward the light and if the background is blurred and has less brightness, saturation, contrast (or at least two of those three).

All pics are very nice, my replies are things, I do also wrong often or there is just not a good angle/situation/light/... to get it better. But you asked for critique and I can learn also some stuff, whenn trying to critique. :)

#1 is more about the mood than a portrait. But a wonderful shot.

#2 is well composed, but the colorfull and nice women get lost in the green and bright background.

#3 is a nice portait, but the shot-reverse-shot situation does not work here. Would be better without the person in the front.

#4 :)

#5 good light, but not very well composed. the statue is too present.

#6 is she would stand the other way around (looking to the right), the light would fall on her face and it would be a perfect portrait with the pleasing background.

#7 too much background. I start to think about the house and life style instead of her. Also the position (shooting from above) and the pose are not very charming.

#8 good composition, but her face is in the shadow.

With a portrait it is good when the face is turned toward the light and if the background is blurred and has less brightness, saturation, contrast (or at least two of those three).

All pics are very nice, my replies are things, I do also wrong often or there is just not a good angle/situation/light/... to get it better. But you asked for critique and I can learn also some stuff, whenn trying to critique. :)

#1 is more about the mood than a portrait. But a wonderful shot.

#2 is well composed, but the colorfull and nice women get lost in the green and bright background.

#3 is a nice portait, but the shot-reverse-shot situation does not work here. Would be better without the person in the front.

#4 :)

#5 good light, but not very well composed. the statue is too present.

#6 is she would stand the other way around (looking to the right), the light would fall on her face and it would be a perfect portrait with the pleasing background.

#7 too much background. I start to think about the house and life style instead of her. Also the position (shooting from above) and the pose are not very charming.

#8 good composition, but her face is in the shadow.

Thanks very much. 

Very useful advice.

I will critique the first one, and if you wish I will do others if I can. (My background: 4 years in a portrait studio). Crop off half of the photo above girl. We need to tame the big bush, and get eyes above center horizontal line. Next, put a radial filter around big bush, and decrease exposure, clarity, and possibly contrast. (If you don't have Lightroom, get it). You should now have some pretty good separation between girl and big bush...but we can do better. Next put radial filter around girl and darken everything else even a bit more than looks good. Next increase exposure of entire pix till everything gets as light as you want it...experiment a bit here. You already have great light on face so no adjustment needed there. By now you portrait should be looking kick-ass, since you have done an excellent job of posing girl, and capturing mood too. Even hand posing is excellent. Now you have a keeper that will be cherished for years to come. Nice work.

markphoto4u