Sony A7 "Live View" different settings

Hi

Does anyone understand the difference or the relationship between?

* Live View Display – on Camera Custom settings

* Aperture Preview – on Custom Button settings

* Shot. Result Preview - on Custom Button settings

Actually, when Live View Display is set to On. I can see the effect of Aperture, Exposure compensation etc. Why do I need to set Custom button. Unless I missed something here..  

These are the descriptions on the manual:

Live View Display

Sets whether or not to show images altered with effects of the exposure compensation, white balance, [Creative

Style], or [Picture Effect] on the screen.

1. MENU → (Custom Settings) → [Live View Display] → desired setting.

Menu item details

Setting Effect ON (default setting):

Displays Live View in conditions close to what your picture will look like as a result of applying all your settings.

This setting is useful when you want to shoot pictures while checking the results of the shot on the Live View

screen.

Setting Effect OFF:

Shows Live View without the effects of exposure compensation, white balance, [Creative Style], or [Picture

Effect]. When this setting is used, you can easily check the image composition.

Live View is always displayed with the appropriate brightness even in [Manual Exposure] mode.

Aperture Preview

With the monitor or viewfinder, you may see an image with an aperture that differs from the shooting result.

Since the blurring of a subject changes if the aperture is changed, the blurriness of the actual picture will differ

from the image you were viewing prior to shooting.

While you press and hold the key to which you assigned the [Aperture Preview] function, the aperture is

stepped down to the set aperture value and you can check the blurriness prior to shooting.

1. MENU → (Custom Settings) → [Custom Key Settings] → set the [Aperture Preview] function to the

desired key.

2. Confirm the image by pressing the key to which [Aperture Preview] was assigned.

Hint

Although you can change the aperture value during the preview, the subject may be defocused if you select

a brighter aperture. We recommend that you adjust the focus again.

Shot. Result Preview

With the monitor or viewfinder, you may see an image with an aperture that differs from the shooting result.

Since the blurring of a subject changes if the aperture is changed, the blurriness of the actual picture will differ

from the image you were viewing prior to shooting. While pressing down the key to which [shot. Result Preview]

is assigned, you can check the image preview with the DRO, shutter speed, aperture and ISO sensitivity

settings applied. Check the shooting result preview before shooting.

1. MENU → (Custom Settings) → [Custom Key Settings] → set the [shot. Result Preview] function to the

desired key.

2. Confirm the image by pressing the key to which [shot. Result Preview] was assigned.

Hint

The DRO settings, shutter speed, aperture and ISO sensitivity settings you have set are reflected on the

image for [shot. Result Preview], but some effects cannot be previewed depending on the shooting settings.

Even in that case, the settings you have selected will be applied to the images you shoot.

Aperture preview: applies Aperture.

Shot Result preview: applies DRO, Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO.

Without these settings you get what ever the camera is using. You see the effect for sure, but it might not be the same aperture which is used when the photo is taken.

• 1 month later...

On the menu, I don't see "camera custom settings."  I see "custom key settings."  I also don't see any option for "live-view display."  Am I looking in the wrong place?  Thanks.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

If you want fast autofocus while wanting to shoot stopped down, you want Setting Effect set to OFF.

If you have a f2.8 lens mounted but set to say f5.6, with Setting Effect ON, it'll keep the aperture at f5.6, even when autofocusing. With the option set to OFF, it'll go to maximum aperture for focusing and only then stops down.

However with Setting Effect OFF, the aperture varies on the fly during liveview/EVF mode depending on incoming light, I guess not to overwhelm the sensor with light.

Just found that out myself.