So I Killed Another A7R2 . . . ADH Replacement Saga

A while ago I wrote a guest post about my experience with Adorama's third-party warranty company, New Leaf, and my less-than-stellar experience in dealing with them.  I eventually got my replacement camera from Adorama, and since New Leaf is the only game in town with them, I held my nose and re-upped, buying another warranty. 

Not long after my SAR post, I heard from the New Leaf CEO, who called to apologize for the unfortunate experience, and left his personal cellphone number should I ever have problems in the future. Classy, actually. 

About a month ago, I was sitting at my desk editing photos, having just removed my lens, and my son brought me a fruit smoothie, which I didn't even realize was on my desk. One brisk turn to the left, and oops.  The naked A7R2 was bathed in fruity goodness. Surprisingly, it powered up, but the sensor and innards were totally soaked.  Thus began the next saga with New Leaf. 

Day 1 - Call to initiate claim, was told they don't have a record of my camera, warranty or receipt, even though I was staring right at my online account with them, where all of that was registered and visible.  Told to email receipt. 

Day 4 - Got email response telling me they can't cover me because the warranty receipt is not on the camera receipt.  I wrote and called Adorama for help. 

Day 7 - Called the CEO, left voicemail explaining the situation.  Later that morning, called the general line to try again with a different operator, who actually knew what he was doing and started the claim. Received pre-paid shipping label to send the unit to United Camera in Chicago for evaluation. 

Day 8 - Received a callback from New Leaf head of operations, at request of CEO, following up on my case. He was very courteous and quite detailed in explaining the challenges of running a warranty company that guarantees everything from washing machines to TV's to gardening machines to cameras, including maintaining a well-trained employee base.  Not that poor customer service can ever be justified, but he give me a good understanding of what's going on over there. 

Day 13 - United Camera received my unit. 

Day 16 - United Camera inspects unit, says beyond repair, will inform New Leaf.  Called New Leaf to get the ball rolling on a replacement camera.  Was given the runaround on having to wait for the slow turning of their gears. 

Days 17-28 - Numerous calls to New Leaf, practically daily, each time being told a decision, or a replacement, or a check would be coming within one business day. 

Day 29 - New Leaf placed an order for a new A7R2 with Abe's of Maine, a shop in NJ I'd never heard of. Price was $2600!

Day 30 - Called Abe's of Maine to get shipping info, was told New Leaf's AMEX card wouldn't work because the store was in a dispute with AMEX.  Called the CEO of New Leaf, so tantalizingly close to a solution.  Heard back from a supervisor who left a voicemail saying to call back to solve this problem. 

Day 31 - Was offered a check from New Leaf in lieu of the replacement camera, in the amount of the Abe's of Maine selling price. Jumped on it. Ordered the camera with my own card. 

Day 34 (today) - RECEIVED NEW A7R2!!  Ok, it's obviously a non-US version, PAL, but otherwise works just fine. Didn't come with instruction manuals and the box had been opened, but the camera is new, or like-new.  Registered with Sony for warranty without problem. Bought another New Leaf ADH warranty.  Waiting for check for the replacement (could be a month they say), and hoping I never have to use the warranty again, but glad I have it. 

Thanks for this update. There is some serious bait and switch happening here. Not unusual in my experience with the NYC metro camera market.

Feels like a frustrating take away message: pros will have to air it out in public / body slam this warranty company to get any result. Amateurs or weak hearted will probably be left high and dry.

Please let us know if you ever do actually get the check, and whether it clears.

Thanks for this update. There is some serious bait and switch happening here. Not unusual in my experience with the NYC metro camera market.

And I didn't even get into the details of this Abe's of Maine place. I just posted a yelp review.  They're total shysters but at least I got my camera. 

I'm sure I'll get the check from New Leaf eventually. 

This may be a dumb question. the New leaf warranty covers your camera even if you damage it yourself?

It's not a dumb question.  The ADH (accidental damage and handling) theoretically covers all non-intentional damage, with some exclusions. On my first go-round with them, they tried to exercise one of those exclusions (rain). Curiously, liquid in a cup is covered. Liquid from the sky, apparently not.  It's good to read the fine print on the policy, something I documented in my previous post. 

They offer drops and spills coverage - covers only a few situations, which would be accidents, such as spilling drink, rather than carelessness, +30 dollars for 3 years. Given that its taken a month to get a replacement, which Mr Stewart had to pay for (cheque in the mail ...), it may or may not be worth it - it kind of seems like good value, but you have to do a lot of leg work to get payment .... so .....

They offer drops and spills coverage - covers only a few situations, which would be accidents, such as spilling drink, rather than carelessness, +30 dollars for 3 years. Given that its taken a month to get a replacement, which Mr Stewart had to pay for (cheque in the mail ...), it may or may not be worth it - it kind of seems like good value, but you have to do a lot of leg work to get payment .... so .....

I've also dealt with SquareTrade warranties for some of my other gear. They're 1000% better, top-to-bottom. No arguments, fast, efficient, honest.  But they're triple the price. You get what you pay for. 

I've also dealt with SquareTrade warranties for some of my other gear. They're 1000% better, top-to-bottom. No arguments, fast, efficient, honest.  But they're triple the price. You get what you pay for. 

SquareTrade sound like a good alternative to Sony service. 5 Day turnaround, interesting.

Guest Peter Kelly

... I was sitting at my desk editing photos, having just removed my lens ...

I don't want to be impertinent but, to satisfy my morbid curiosity, would you go into a little more detail about your methods, as I just find that odd?

The only thing I do when editing is to put my cards on the desk; my cameras are always in their bags and I never remove a lens unless I'm changing it.

I realise everyone's different, but you have me puzzled greatly!

Squaretrade have ADH coverage also or only New Leaf? Which repair shop or camera store did Squaretrade use?

Now they're both using United Camera in Chicago, which is a very good repair shop.  Even New Leaf stopped using Sony's proxy, Precision Camera, due to too many complaints.  I'm sure that if the camera just needed repair and not replacement, and if I'd gotten a competent operator on my first call, the whole thing would have been resolved within 2 weeks. 

I don't want to be impertinent but, to satisfy my morbid curiosity, would you go into a little more detail about your methods, as I just find that odd?

The only thing I do when editing is to put my cards on the desk; my cameras are always in their bags and I never remove a lens unless I'm changing it.

I realise everyone's different, but you have me puzzled greatly!

Oh, yes.  Well I edit totally nude. It's very important for authenticity! My camera also must be fully unencumbered!  Hahaha. Just kidding. No, it was just an unfortunate moment where I'd taken the lens off briefly, was distracted by editing, and hadn't realized my son had left the smoothie next to me. I don't generally keep the lens off either.  It's what you'd call a freak incident, I guess.  Can't blame my son, but I did ask him to please let me know next time he puts a beverage on my desk for me when I have my face buried in the screen. 

Yeah, the warranty cost $115 ADH for three years.  Obviously, if I get my check, and I have no reason to believe I won't, then I'll have definitely gotten my money's worth.  Yeah, I had to jump through some hoops with them, but all told, it's reassuring to know that if something happens to your camera (within reason), you'll at least have a fighting chance to get it taken care of. 

Guest Peter Kelly

Oh, yes.  Well I edit totally nude. It's very important for authenticity! My camera also must be fully unencumbered!  Hahaha. Just kidding. No, it was just an unfortunate moment where I'd taken the lens off briefly, was distracted by editing, and hadn't realized my son had left the smoothie next to me. I don't generally keep the lens off either.  It's what you'd call a freak incident, I guess.  Can't blame my son, but I did ask him to please let me know next time he puts a beverage on my desk for me when I have my face buried in the screen. 

Thanks for the explanation. I tend to get distracted too, but I don't have a sprog to deal with!

Now they're both using United Camera in Chicago, which is a very good repair shop.  Even New Leaf stopped using Sony's proxy, Precision Camera, due to too many complaints.  I'm sure that if the camera just needed repair and not replacement, and if I'd gotten a competent operator on my first call, the whole thing would have been resolved within 2 weeks. 

Have you tried Warrentech? I see it on Amazon.

Have you tried Warrentech? I see it on Amazon.

I haven't tried them. They seem to be about the same as New Leaf, as far as the terms and conditions and pricing, so I'd expect about the same level of service.  The Amazon reviews are pretty mixed, but it seems like the negative reviews are mostly from people who've never actually had to use the warranty. 

Square trade is pretty good. I used them for a iPhone claim and they were fast and competent. Another thing one can do is use one of the platinum cards to make the purchase. Mine doubles the factory warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A while ago I wrote a guest post about my experience with Adorama's third-party warranty company, New Leaf, and my less-than-stellar experience in dealing with them.  I eventually got my replacement camera from Adorama, and since New Leaf is the only game in town with them, I held my nose and re-upped, buying another warranty. 

Not long after my SAR post, I heard from the New Leaf CEO, who called to apologize for the unfortunate experience, and left his personal cellphone number should I ever have problems in the future. Classy, actually. 

About a month ago, I was sitting at my desk editing photos, having just removed my lens, and my son brought me a fruit smoothie, which I didn't even realize was on my desk. One brisk turn to the left, and oops.  The naked A7R2 was bathed in fruity goodness. Surprisingly, it powered up, but the sensor and innards were totally soaked.  Thus began the next saga with New Leaf. 

Day 1 - Call to initiate claim, was told they don't have a record of my camera, warranty or receipt, even though I was staring right at my online account with them, where all of that was registered and visible.  Told to email receipt. 

Day 4 - Got email response telling me they can't cover me because the warranty receipt is not on the camera receipt.  I wrote and called Adorama for help. 

Day 7 - Called the CEO, left voicemail explaining the situation.  Later that morning, called the general line to try again with a different operator, who actually knew what he was doing and started the claim. Received pre-paid shipping label to send the unit to United Camera in Chicago for evaluation. 

Day 8 - Received a callback from New Leaf head of operations, at request of CEO, following up on my case. He was very courteous and quite detailed in explaining the challenges of running a warranty company that guarantees everything from washing machines to TV's to gardening machines to cameras, including maintaining a well-trained employee base.  Not that poor customer service can ever be justified, but he give me a good understanding of what's going on over there. 

Day 13 - United Camera received my unit. 

Day 16 - United Camera inspects unit, says beyond repair, will inform New Leaf.  Called New Leaf to get the ball rolling on a replacement camera.  Was given the runaround on having to wait for the slow turning of their gears. 

Days 17-28 - Numerous calls to New Leaf, practically daily, each time being told a decision, or a replacement, or a check would be coming within one business day. 

Day 29 - New Leaf placed an order for a new A7R2 with Abe's of Maine, a shop in NJ I'd never heard of. Price was $2600!

Day 30 - Called Abe's of Maine to get shipping info, was told New Leaf's AMEX card wouldn't work because the store was in a dispute with AMEX.  Called the CEO of New Leaf, so tantalizingly close to a solution.  Heard back from a supervisor who left a voicemail saying to call back to solve this problem. 

Day 31 - Was offered a check from New Leaf in lieu of the replacement camera, in the amount of the Abe's of Maine selling price. Jumped on it. Ordered the camera with my own card. 

Day 34 (today) - RECEIVED NEW A7R2!!  Ok, it's obviously a non-US version, PAL, but otherwise works just fine. Didn't come with instruction manuals and the box had been opened, but the camera is new, or like-new.  Registered with Sony for warranty without problem. Bought another New Leaf ADH warranty.  Waiting for check for the replacement (could be a month they say), and hoping I never have to use the warranty again, but glad I have it. 

I don't know if I'd sell you another insurance after all that... I would have refused your claim due to gross negligence:

You should have had the sense NOT to power it up while "the innards were soaked", but instead immediately remove the battery and the card. That act belongs in a fail compilation on YouTube.

Short term exposure to liquid does not damage electronics, unless you apply power before its been completely dried (after a week stored in rice for example).

Just like you shouldn't drive a car without license, you should know some basics on how to treat electronics that got wet before rushing out to drop 3 grand on an extra-sensitive type of electronics.

Getting a grey market replacement for a warranty claim is a bit fishy, but then, if you have third party warranty for it anyway, it doesn't matter so much.  MACK at least claims all the work they cover will be done by Sony's own service centers (Or whatever horrible place Sony has farmed such services out to, like "Precision Ripoff" some name close to that anyway).

Otherwise, your saying you called them daily just makes you sound pushy and like an annoyance to any customer service center.  Yes, what they do doesn't happen instantly and their turnaround on stuff doesn't always coincide with impatient customers who voluntarily hosed their gear.

And no, I don't work at such a place and I get annoyed by slow service too, but there's different levels of "slow"...

I have heard of Abe's of Maine. They have been around for years! They used to have ads in Rangefinder Magazine and Professional Photographer before internet came along.

I have a Mack Warranty and just sent my A77II in for LCD repairs. I hope the process is smoother than yours. So far they have been great.

I have a question about your international body you registered with Sony. Registering is easy but will Sony cover it if something happens to it? I've always heard different stories regarding imported models. Usually, the warranty is through the place you buy the camera instead of Sony.

Also, can't you change the PAL setting in the menu?

Good luck with this new camera!

I don't know if I'd sell you another insurance after all that... I would have refused your claim due to gross negligence:

You should have had the sense NOT to power it up while "the innards were soaked", but instead immediately remove the battery and the card. That act belongs in a fail compilation on YouTube.

Short term exposure to liquid does not damage electronics, unless you apply power before its been completely dried (after a week stored in rice for example).

Just like you shouldn't drive a car without license, you should know some basics on how to treat electronics that got wet before rushing out to drop 3 grand on an extra-sensitive type of electronics.

Getting a grey market replacement for a warranty claim is a bit fishy, but then, if you have third party warranty for it anyway, it doesn't matter so much.  MACK at least claims all the work they cover will be done by Sony's own service centers (Or whatever horrible place Sony has farmed such services out to, like "Precision Ripoff" some name close to that anyway).

Otherwise, your saying you called them daily just makes you sound pushy and like an annoyance to any customer service center.  Yes, what they do doesn't happen instantly and their turnaround on stuff doesn't always coincide with impatient customers who voluntarily hosed their gear.

And no, I don't work at such a place and I get annoyed by slow service too, but there's different levels of "slow"...

Maybe you SHOULD work at such a place. I hear they're hiring.  You've got the attitude down pat. 

I'm pleased it was resolved....but just a reminder, that any time there are concerns or queries regarding any aspect of any order from Adorama Camera, I'm always happy to jump in and help, if I can.

In this case, I think you may have helped. New Leaf didn't have a record of my original camera purchase, even though I'd already uploaded the Adorama receipt to their website when registering the warranty I bought through Adorama.  I wrote to Adorama (was it you?) and requested some help. On my next call to New Leaf, the problem was solved and the claim began in earnest. 

I have heard of Abe's of Maine. They have been around for years! They used to have ads in Rangefinder Magazine and Professional Photographer before internet came along.

I have a Mack Warranty and just sent my A77II in for LCD repairs. I hope the process is smoother than yours. So far they have been great.

I have a question about your international body you registered with Sony. Registering is easy but will Sony cover it if something happens to it? I've always heard different stories regarding imported models. Usually, the warranty is through the place you buy the camera instead of Sony.

Also, can't you change the PAL setting in the menu?

Good luck with this new camera!

Adorama was happy to sell me a New Leaf warranty for this camera that I got at Abe's of Maine. I'm really hoping I don't have to test either the Sony warranty or the New Leaf again. It's a major pain in the butt.  As for PAL/NTSC, yeah, you can change it in the menu, but when it's in NTSC, I get an annoying black screen at startup saying "NTSC Mode." It's just one more delay on startup that I don't want, so I put it in PAL to avoid that problem. I'm only editing video for online use, so PAL is fine. Try putting your NTSC camera into PAL mode and see if you get that annoying message at startup. 

Wait, so this is the second camera you've had replaced due to accidents? Just since the A7Rii came on the market?

How'd the first one get killed?  Just curious.  Like Touko, I'm also a little surprised they keep giving you coverage.