Alpha Vs ILCE

Well I learned something about the difference between the "alpha" and the "NEX" lens mounts.  I ordered a T-adapter (to hang my a5100 on the back end of a telescope (I ordered the Vello LA-SA-T, which is Vello's designation for the Lens Asapter/Sony alpha-T).  The "T" side of the adapter fit great, but it would not mate with the camera.  It was also a little "shorter" than I would have expected.  Apparently Vello's "alpha" only applies to the full frame alpha cameras.  I then found a Vello LA-NEX-T which must be the adpater I need and looks like the right length.

I had made an optimistic assumption, but being a newbie with Sony, I had no way of knowing this.  Apparently what I had ordered is for an A-mount camera.  So I'm still spoiled by Nikon and their lens interchangeability.  I've still got (a lot of) things to learn about Sony's lens mounts.

Hi Tom, 

basically Sony made a mess when it decided to extend the name "Alpha" to the entire line of cameras. From a marketing point of view has been the equivalent of shooting oneself in the foot.

Anyway I hope I can clarify the situation for you a bit. 

There are 3 lines: A-mount lenses, FE lenses, E lenses. FE and E lenses share the same mount (the "E mount"), the one formerly known as "Nex"; the difference is that FE lenses are designed to cover full frame, while E lenses cover only Aps-c.

A-mount lenses are the ones made for the DSRL and SLT cameras, and have the same old Minolta AF mount (Sony bought Minolta a few years back); this obviously means that you can use Minolta AF glass as well on the same cameras / adapters, or that if you have an old Minolta AF film camera you can use the new lenses with it.

FE and E mount lenses will mount directly onto any Sony mirrorless: Nex, A6000, A5000, A7, A7r, A7s, A7 II etc. cameras.

A-mount lenses can be used on all A-mount cameras (A850, A900 etc.) and, with an adapter, on the cameras listed above for the FE and E mount as well. For an adapter you can choose among cheap Chinese ones (20 / 30€, manual focus only) and the ones made by Sony itself (180 / 300€).

These come in two models, just to keep things nice and easy:

- LA-EA3: with this one you have the transmission of all the automatisms, but you will get (slow) autofocus only with the new SSM A-mount lenses; you will have to focus older (non-SSM) lenses manually

- LA-EA4: same as above, but given that is has inside a semi-transparent mirror you will get fast autofocus will all lenses (even non-SSM ones), practically at the same level of a native A-mount camera

I know, it still looks like a mess...   :D