FE-Lenses for APS-C-Cameras instead od E-Lenses?

Im not dead positive on this, but I think hes wrong regarding crop factor and light gathering ability of the aperture. He says you have to multiply both the focal length and aperture by the crop factor, so a 50mm f2.0 lens becomes a 75mm f3.0 lens. This is true regarding DOF only I think. It was my understanding that even though the DOF is now an f3.0 in this scenario, that the light gathering ability remains f2.0, so I think he is wrong about that.

If anybody knows any better please share.

Im not dead positive on this, but I think hes wrong regarding crop factor and light gathering ability of the aperture. He says you have to multiply both the focal length and aperture by the crop factor, so a 50mm f2.0 lens becomes a 75mm f3.0 lens. This is true regarding DOF only I think. It was my understanding that even though the DOF is now an f3.0 in this scenario, that the light gathering ability remains f2.0, so I think he is wrong about that.

If anybody knows any better please share.

Technically the light gathering remains f/2, but you need to bear in mind that full frame sensors gather more than twice the amount of light so, all else being equal, the noise performance will be around a stop better.

So, for example:

FF with 50mm lens @ f/2, ISO 1600, 1/60th sec

compared to

APS-C with 50mm (75mm) lens @ f/2, ISO 1600, 1/60th sec

The exposure on both cameras will be the same, but the noise performance will be around stop better on FF due to the sensor being (more than) twice as big.

The FF camera could operate @ f/3 (f/2.8 to be exact), ISO3200, 1/60th, and it would give the similar exposure, DOF and noise performance as the APS-C camera at f/2, ISO1600, 1/60th sec.

That's why the 50mm f/2 effectively becomes f/3 on APS-C in terms of light gathering as well as DOF.

Technically the light gathering remains f/2, but you need to bear in mind that full frame sensors gather more than twice the amount of light so, all else being equal, the noise performance will be around a stop better.

So, for example:

FF with 50mm lens @ f/2, ISO 1600, 1/60th sec

compared to

APS-C with 50mm (75mm) lens @ f/2, ISO 1600, 1/60th sec

The exposure on both cameras will be the same, but the noise performance will be around stop better on FF due to the sensor being (more than) twice as big.

The FF camera could operate @ f/3 (f/2.8 to be exact), ISO3200, 1/60th, and it would give the similar exposure, DOF and noise performance as the APS-C camera at f/2, ISO1600, 1/60th sec.

That's why the 50mm f/2 effectively becomes f/3 on APS-C in terms of light gathering as well as DOF.

That makes sense, so technically we are both right! Thanks for clearing that up! 

• 3 months later...

Hi I'm Coast, new to Rumors, I think it's great. :) I  bought the Sony a6000 on cyber monday and the Zeiss 16-70mm aps-c this march. The kit 16-50mm & the 55-210mm came w the a6000, so I have an all aps-c system now. I'm pretty much set, some day I might get a wide angle.

I'm not a studio guy, I'm outdoors landscape so size & weight matter a lot. I travel as light as possible so I don't see myself w heavier & bigger FF stuff. I love my a6000, having a Ton of Fun!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've been wondering  if there's a difference in photo's from a 24 meg FF sensor &  24 meg crop sensor, other than the crop. Thanks to  the Northrup UTube, he seems to me to be saying because 24 megs in a crop sensor are denser than 24 megs in a FF, w a quality aps-c lens photo's should be sharper. Am I correct? What else could the differences be

I checked w DXO & they don't have a rating for my Zeiss & a6000 combination. I would like to know how good the combo is. I love the combo

Thank you very much__________Coast