Sony releases firmware update for the A7r, A7rII, A7s, A7, A7II, A6000

K2Kevin

Sony released a new firmware update for almost all E-mount cameras to add support for the new lenses. Download here:
A7rII at eusupport.sony.com.
A7r at eusupport.sony.com.
A7II at eusupport.sony.com.
A7s at eusupport.sony.com.
A7 at eusupport.sony.com.
A6000 esupport.sony.com.

A7rII-A7II-A7r-A7s Improvements over version 3.00:

• New lenses are supported.
  • Phase-detection AF is supported
  • The AF can be used in movie recording mode with the SEL85F14GM

A6000-A7 Improvements over version 2.00:

• New lenses are supported.
  • Phase-detection AF is supported
  • The lens name will be correctly recorded in the EXIF
  • The AF can be used in movie recording mode with the SEL85F14GM

And still no uncompressed raw for the original A7/A7r. I know that Sony being Sony this is an unlikely event, but it is sorely needed.

The A7r wasn't exactly a cheap camera, so you would expect a bit of attention to customer satisfaction, especially given what other companies are doing in this regard.

I'm so tired of halos along high contrast edges (yes, I'm picky, sue me :D  )...it takes way too much time to fix a thing shouldn't be there in the first place.

Hello All,

I have a new Sony A7 but when I try to obtain the new firmware my camera is not recognised when I attach my camera via USB cable to my Mac computer. I am told to switch off, to remove my batteries and to reboot. Nothing happens, still no connection. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thank you

Anyone using Metabones IV been brave enough to update their A7ii yet? I got caught out with v2 until Metabones provided their firmware update

I don't have a Metabones, so I would wait until ou get a confirmation from them or someone else.  I did see many other adapters work just fine with the update.

Hello All,

I have a new Sony A7 but when I try to obtain the new firmware my camera is not recognised when I attach my camera via USB cable to my Mac computer. I am told to switch off, to remove my batteries and to reboot. Nothing happens, still no connection. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thank you

Are you using an original Sony battery or something else like Patona?

If it isn't original try to use the original one. 

Hello All,

Check your USB Settings in the camera.  They want it set to MassStorage (If I remember correctly).  

I also use a Mac, and haven't had an issue with the updates.  Maybe reboot your Mac and if using a USB hub, try a different USB port that is directly on the computer.

Hello All,

If I'm not mistaken (sorry but I'm not anywhere near my iMac at the moment) there is also a program that you should execute first, bundled in the Sony firmware download (or possibly to downoad separately?). It's some kind of kernel extension that'll let the Mac recognize the camera.

The software is called DriverLoader, it should be listed under Drivers on the Firmware update screen, looks like this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Once you have downloaded and installed that software, then download the firmware update, double click it and then follow the on-screen instructions.

Don't connect your camera until it tells you to and make sure its got a good charge on the battery as you don't want it failing part way through the update.

Thanks all; I am grateful for your time and trouble. Yes I am using non Sony batteries. I will try tomorrow with a single Sony battery. if this does not work I will not bother with the upgrade, but thank you all for your time. Much appreciated

I'm a new user of the entire Sony alpha system and trying to get to grips with my new camera of two to three weeks. Having been a Canon system user for five years I was wondering how often the Sony firmware update come out? I have had two:ver 3.0 now 3.10 since owning the camera. Is that normal to expect. Grateful for som advice please. Thanks.

I read on another forum that the experiences of others show that you ought to leave the SD card in, not remove it, as Sony procedure shows, during the firmware update. They suggest formatting the card before you do the update. I'm waiting until Metabones put out their firmware before I update.

Here's the link in Sony A7/A7r Shooters group

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153910934809336&set=pcb.10153910967454336&type=3&theater

Hello. I'm a newbie to Sony cameras having recently got myself a new a7Rii. Since my purchase a few weeks ago there have been two firmware updates, v3 then v3.10. I'm just wondering is that frequency of update usual for a newish model or for Sony in general? I come from a Canon user system background 5Dmkiii and don't remember many updates, but perhaps I didn't look in the right place? I got tired of lugging around heavy cameras and lenses and am really looking forward to some nice results with the Sony. So far I love the design.

Grateful for any feedback / advice on Sony updates please. Thanks.

You can read the release notes for the firmware update and decide for yourself if you need it.

For example, I don't need 3.0 and I don't need 3.10 ... so I don't bother with them.

And still no uncompressed raw for the original A7/A7r. I know that Sony being Sony this is an unlikely event, but it is sorely needed.

The A7r wasn't exactly a cheap camera, so you would expect a bit of attention to customer satisfaction, especially given what other companies are doing in this regard.

I agree, I don't have the older models, but for Sony to no add these features (seems all versions can handle shooting Uncompressed raw) to cameras that are only 1 generation before is wrong.  Maybe there is a limitation?

I agree, I don't have the older models, but for Sony to no add these features (seems all versions can handle shooting Uncompressed raw) to cameras that are only 1 generation before is wrong.  Maybe there is a limitation?

Well, uncompressed raw will certainly slow down writing times, but considering especially the A7r is already not a speed demon, but mostly used as a landscape tripod based camera, my guess the biggest limitation is Sony unwillingness to loose potential sales.

The fact is, they will all the same because an angry costumer will rarely be a loyal one...and the A7 line "monopoly" on the high resolution mirrorless market is closing to an end in the next year and a half at worst, IMO.

......... The fact is, they will all the same because

an angry costumer will rarely be a loyal one...and the

A7 line "monopoly" on the high resolution mirrorless

market is closing to an end in the next year and a half

at worst, IMO.

Yup. I don't tend to get angry. But if something gets

unreasonably frustrating then it's an easy b'bye all. I

use 5 Sony bodies in 2 formats, all adapted to legacy

lenses. No Sony lens collections, flashes, etc. Show

me some other brand of "digital film back" with better

support and/or lower frustration and it's too easy to

give Sony the boot. I still have Canon SLRs and OEM

lenses and OEM flashes. So if Canon tempted me to

dump Sony, I'm ready. For any other brand, should

it offer "better support and/or lower frustration", all I'd

need is a coupla new lens adapters. But, because I

use legacy lenses and want IS, I require IBIS. So for

me, it's "No IBIS no deal". I guess that means I'd be

hoping for a cool FF body by Olympus. Olympus isn't

known for NFL/Olympic Sports level of "pro support",

but I'm not given to that sort of photo phantasy life.