A3000 battery not charging

Hello everyone.

I own a A3000 I bought new around one year ago. I must say, I have been very satisfied with its battery life, which has been very solid... until now. My current problem is that the battery doesn't charge up if I don't continuously check whether the orange light is glowing; often times, such light turns off after a few minutes, or it starts flashing, and the battery stops charging. I just left the camera on for an all-nighter only to find it this morning at 39%. This never happened until now, and I never replaced the battery nor the cable. I checked the battery and it looks fine: no dirt or fingerprints (as I never remove it from the camera). It also doesn't seem like a temperature issue, as the camera is charging in my house, where there are 15 degrees, and away from the sun. The only thing I can think of, different from what I usually did upon charging the camera, is that it is plugged with my new 70-210mm lens on it. I can hardly think of a reason why this would influence the process, though.

I'm quite distressed now, as I am leaving in two weeks for a trip in Africa, and if the battery abandons me there I might as well hang myself. 
Has anyone experienced the same issue? I read around the internet it is quite common, but no solution I found seems to work for me.

Thank you sincerely,

Ted

From where I sit it would cost me maybe $1500 just to get to Africa let alone stay for 2 weeks. If I couldn't afford a bunch of extra $20 batteries I wouldn't be going at all.

As I'm going for volunteering, the stay is for free. The flight was pretty cheap, less than 400 from Italy to Tanzania for the return trip. Anyway, the post was not about affording a spare battery or not. I was just wondering whether it is expected for a battery to last only about one year... And anyway, the official sony battery costs about 60 bucks. I do own a spare Chilipower battery and a portable charger, hence I will be able to exploit at least the lifetime of three batteries when in safari, if the Sony battery plays no bad games on me.

I have a, not original, battery which is also dead. It seems that sometimes they just give up. Don't you have a spare battery? If that one works fine you know.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I do have one, but less solid. However, it seems weird to me that the included battery just died. Anyway, I managed to charge in the end... Let's hope for the best, and no strange jokes when I'm there!

I would not trust that battery if I were you. There is the risk that the charger breaks down. That happened to me. Buy a good spare battery and leave the bad one home. Don't let it spoil your trip. [emoji6]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

You can also try putting the battery in your freezer over night.  A zip lock bag without air to reduce condensation is good. You don't want to short the battery.

The Internet says this method has no proof it works.  However, I have revived a few 'dead' batteries in this way.

Also, it could be the charger, or maybe some lint or dirt stuck in the contacts of the battery.  If there is junk stuck in there, the battery may not be making good contact.

• 1 year later...

Hi Newbie. I have been searching trough the web for one year to find someone that has my same problem. You are the right person, and my camera a3000 has the same defect... Sometimes it charges and sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you have to try thirty times to obtain a continuous orange light and sometimes it never flashes.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Buy a new battery and a charger. A healthy battery doesn't behave like that. Also, you're likely to have problems if you come to places with unreliable power supply. I've lost batteries and chargers to dodgy mains.

.........checked the battery and it looks fine:

no dirt or fingerprints (as I never remove it

from the camera). ..............

"I never remove it from the camera"  

Are you charging it in the camera by USB, and 

never ever removing it ? If so, I would suggest 

you switch to always using an external charger.  

Internal charging is slow and I'm not convinced 

that it's really a full charge. And one day your 

battery will swell a bit and be jammed in there. 

`