Sony A9

PCA

What are the odds we see and A9 this year to go with the new FE GM glass?  

What is keeping Sony from putting A6300 AF in an A9 body?

Bigger body, bigger battery, better ergonomics for larger controls and more direct controls (fewer menu driven items).  Something between the Fuji XT-1 and the Pentax K-1 when it comes to direct controls.

I believe that Sony has to launch a99II first. Or people lose faith into a-mount and switch to e-mount. I really tested already A7rII, but usability was way off. Despite of superb IQ, this will not my next system body. 

This is what I was told at CP+: no A-mount body is being developed.

A new E-mount FF is on its way, with higher burst, more hybrid AF points and higher IQ sensor.

I am sorry to all the A-mount users but a strategy different than this would have no meaning, considered the investment in R&D for the GM lenses on the year of Olympic games.

A new E-mount FF is on its way, with higher burst, more hybrid AF points and higher IQ sensor.

I am sorry to all the A-mount users but a strategy different than this would have no meaning, considered the investment in R&D for the GM lenses on the year of Olympic games.

Yeah, this argument is impossible to dispute...

A camera that's excellent at shooting sports, that can use all that new high end glass has to be Sony's strategy...  Even the RX100V and A7 III may not come out 'on time', taking a back seat to that. They'll have to start selling it well in advance of the Olympics, since nobody would take a new camera they couldn't test extensively first.

I was an Olympus 4/3 shooter for a few years and I always kept up hope that 4/3 wasn't going to die.  Olympus kept promising they would continue to 4/3, but when m4/3 came out it was clear where Olympus was putting the money.  Sony seems to be on the same path.  Sony seems to be hoping that the A-mount with slowly fade away without anyone noticing.  With the new 70-200mm F/2.8 it seem apparent a bigger pro-body is on the way.

Yeah, this argument is impossible to dispute...

A camera that's excellent at shooting sports, that can use all that new high end glass has to be Sony's strategy...

I think they are close to that with the new A6300. The crop sensor gives another 1.5 magnification on that FE glass, too.

As a FF A mount glass user I would be keen to see Sony develop a new FE to Sony A adaptor that gives me the same features that native FE glass has.

I have not "upgraded" to the A7r mk2 for that reason alone. (I have too much money invested in good quality Sony A mount glass.)

This would give me a real reason to move from A mount to FE.

Currently both the LE-A3 and the LE-A4 do not provide what is so badly needed.

A bigger body A9 would also be a positive move for Sony.

I believe that Sony has to launch a99II first. Or people lose faith into a-mount and switch to e-mount. I really tested already A7rII, but usability was way off. Despite of superb IQ, this will not my next system body. 

I agree however many former A-mount users have left for E-mount already, so I don't think Sony is in a hurry to make the A99 II - they will not have huge sales with it regardless of how great it might be. Current A-mounter users might buy it, most new users will go for E-mount, all former canikon users will certainly go for E-mount with adapters.

The fast zoom prices of E-mount is horrific, I have calculated I get my entire FF setup cheaper by getting Nikon D810  and Tamron 2.8 lenses than two original native E-mount 2.8 zooms with A7R II.

I think Sony is going for a marked of rich people and I do no longer fit in there segment. with no Sigma/Tamron alternatives, dSLR are far cheaper. Adapters won't give you full functionality and speed (no video or eye AF, is deal breakers). I was thinking E-mount because of my A-mount FF lenses, but it's cheaper to simply rebuy then with Nikon mount.

As a FF A mount glass user I would be keen to see Sony develop a new FE to Sony A adaptor that gives me the same features that native FE glass has.

I have not "upgraded" to the A7r mk2 for that reason alone. (I have too much money invested in good quality Sony A mount glass.)

This would give me a real reason to move from A mount to FE.

Currently both the LE-A3 and the LE-A4 do not provide what is so badly needed.

A bigger body A9 would also be a positive move for Sony.

Sony can only give suck an adapter for Sony's own A-mount lenses (new lens firmware is needed), so you might need a similar adapter form Sigma and Tamron as well (depending on your lens selection). However Sigma have shut down all Sony A-mount releases so you won't see that, and Tamron have not see made an adapter at all.

You A-mount glass is a lose, you and uses it for years to come, but don't expect adapter with full functionality for all your lenses.

I think they are close to that with the new A6300. The crop sensor gives another 1.5 magnification on that FE glass, too.

True, but do you think pro shooters for the Olympics will go there with a crop sensor unit as their main camera?

Maybe as a secondary...

True, but do you think pro shooters for the Olympics will go there with a crop sensor unit as their main camera?

Maybe as a secondary...

I think the image quality from an A6000/6300 is more than good enough for any magazine cover or newspaper, the sensors and lenses that Sony is bringing out now are going to change the game in the years to come. If I was starting out as a professional sports photographer I would look very seriously at the A6300.

I used to shoot an A77 but I found the A6000 gives me more opportunities to get that one great shot, and I think the opportunities will increase once the FEDEX driver delivers my A6300 next week.