Very strange problem with a7RII and 70-200 f4

I got an a7RII in November, and a Sony FE4/70-200 G OSS in December, both new from B&H.  About a month after I got the lens, it started acting up.  I'd turn it on, and it would make clicking noises, and with each noise it would switch from showing the F-number on the display to showing just two dashes, and it would not focus at all.  Later on, the lens would work properly.  Often, but not always, the malfunction was associated with cooler weather, between 35 and 55 degrees F.  I'm not sure if the condition is the fault of the camera or the lens.

I managed to get video of the condition when it happens.

The lens was sent to Precision Camera under warranty.  (Unfortunately, it's been more than 30 days, or I would have tried to send it back to B&H for an exchange.)  The lens came back with the vague statement, "repaired lens, cleaned, returned to factory specs."  It still doesn't work right.

The weird thing is that the malfunction occurs ONLY with this camera and lens combination.  The lens functions properly (so far) on my FS700, and with the a7RII, all other lenses function perfectly.  Also, I'm afraid that if I send the combination in for repair, because it is intermittent the condition won't happen for the technician.

Has anyone else experienced such problems with this camera/lens combination?

Hello, I had the same problem with two different sony lenses. When I first received my brand new 7R2 I only had A mount lenses. All functioned perfectly with the LA-EA4 adapter. I ordered a sony zeiss 55 1.8 and it worked perfectly, then I ordered a sony 90 2.8 macro and the problem you mentioned occurred. I turn off the camera, removed the lens waited 30 seconds and remounted the lens with the camera turn off of course. It functioned correctly after that. I then received my long awaited ziess 21 2.8 loxia and the problem re-occurred. Again I switched off, waited, re-mounted, turned camera back on and all was fine. I wondered if I might have switched lenses while the camera was on and this caused the malfunction? Now I make certain the camera is off before I switch the lenses. I would like to mention that I switched lenses on my a99, 7R, and 7R2 with LA-EA4 while the cameras were on and/or turned off and never had a problem. Only with 7R2 and native mount E.

Good you have a video. Send it in again and email them the video. You may have to also send in the camera.  If Precision sends it back again and again the problem returns, I believe they get three tries to fix it before they have to replace it under consumer lemon laws.  But you'll need to call Sony customer service and elevate your problem to the next level. Good luck with that.  Just keep documenting the problem so they can't argue you're making it up. 

Yes, I did get the extended warranty, but it is still under the Sony warranty at the moment.  It's very interesting to see that someone else has had this exact same problem with two different lenses.

Now we have another problem.  I could send in both the lenses and the camera, but the problem might not occur, since it is intermittent.  If it's happened to more than one person and more than one lens, it is a problem Sony has to track down and send out a service bulletin on, so it can be fixed without major hassles to their pro users.

Apparently I'm not the only one who is exasperated that Sony doesn't have a pro repair facility (or much of an amateur facility, for that matter) that can solve problems in a timely manner.  Though this is from Australia, and it's not quite as bad as what I experienced, it's still an example of how far Sony has to go before it can come anywhere near the level of service and repair that are offered by Canon and Nikon.  Here's a well-known pro shooter who's getting rid of all of his Sony gear because of the service issues,  

When I turn my equipment on, I need it to work.  If this problem can't be solved quickly, I will seriously consider dropping Sony.  Pretty much the only advantage Sony has for me right now is the five-axis sensor-based stabilization, as it allows me to take a small two-axis gimbal and shoot hand-held video that looks like it's on a Steadicam.  This is a service I offer to my clients a lot, and if I don't have it, it really depletes the quality I can deliver as a pro.

I was looking to get two more Sony bodies, an A7SII and the A6300, and a boatload of lenses, but if these problems continue I consider selling what Sony gear I have and moving to another system.  If I have to go to a more cumbersome three-axis gimbal system I'll do that, as it will at least be reliable.

• 4 months later...

UPDATE--  After six months and FIVE shipments to Precision Camera (three for the lens and two for the camera body), I was the one who finally determined that the problem was with the lens.  The problem happened with both my a7RII and a7SII, plus the loaner a7RII body that Sony sent me, and I got video of it happening with all three cameras.  Last week Sony Pro Support sent me a replacement lens.

The problem seemed to happen especially after the camera was carried lens-down in a Tamrac case, although it could happen at any time under any circumstances.  Cold also seemed to be a factor.  Hopefully the replacement lens won't suffer the same ailment.

............. Hopefully the replacement

lens won't suffer the same ailment.

Hope springs eternal. 

Altho .... it's several weeks

until spring in OZ, is it not? 

I have found that the only

thing that chases gremlins

away from  my Sonys is a

pair of Ruby Slippers. 

Hope springs eternal. 

Altho .... it's several weeks

until spring in OZ, is it not?