The world of panoramic photography

A new test has been added for the Sony A6000 with a Rokinon 7.5mm lens. For over a year, people visit the site to compare different possible combinations of cameras and lenses for panoramic photography. The addition of the Sony A6000 complements the range presented on the site.

1017517_480277772102991_6515113295274856

A modification was done on the Sony A6000. Improve the standard Sony E-mount with the Fotodiox TOUGH E-Mount. This all-metal mount replaces the two-part mount that comes with most Sony E-mount cameras. Of those two parts, the actual mount that holds the lens is made of plastic, which is susceptible to wear and lens movement. By removing four screws, taking out the two mount parts, and inserting the TOUGH E-Mount, you give your camera a stronger and more durable lens connection.

10370993_480277835436318_527949609818982

Of all sets that have been tested by quebecpanorama, the Sony A6000 with Rokinon 7.5mm lens is the one that offers the best value for money. The impressive quality, coupled with the ease of transportation, seduced us, so it became the official QuébecPanorama set.

Test :

Sample Images :

Useful Links :

Bernard Déry

• 1 month later...

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for your question, I have the Samyang 8mm and the Rokinon 7.5mm modified. I prefer the Rokinon 7.5mm.

Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye is a sharp full frame (180 degree diagonal angle of view) fisheye, originally made for Micro Four Thirds (M43) system. It requires 5-6 shots around plus top and bottom shots to complete a spherical panorama, but, it is prefereble to make 6 pictures 30 degrees upward and 6 pictures 30 degrees downward. It is found that when adapted to a camera with APS-C (larger) sensor, it will give a 180 degree coverage along the width of image sensor with high sensor area utilization and high image quality. Only 4 shots around are necessary to complete a spherical panorama. It is very small and light-weight.

I like the Samyang 8mm for FF Sony. It is important here to say that the lens hood lens was shaved in order to not be visible on the picture of a full-frame camera Sony A7r.

All my tests, http://quebecpanorama.com/en/kits

Thanks,

Nice To See Someone else using the Nodal Ninja Kit :)  !

There's the following options avaialble for the Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex Fish Eyes

#1: the 7.5mm Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex MFT converted for e Mount

#2 the (shaved) 8mm Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex in Version I

#3 the (shaved) 8mm Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex in Version II

- Difference #2 vs. #3 > Exit Pupil of #3 is farther off from the sensor > no strange blue edges any more (cf. article in german http://pt4pano.com/de/blog/8mm-f28-umc-fisheye-ii.. u might give it a try to translate it with google). The new version possibly also gives greater resolution in terms of Mega Pixel count.

# On #3: As the entrance Pupil is different from #2, you also need another Nodal Point Adapter. I don't know whether for example Nodal Ninja already has one for the CSC II version (i have one for the version I)

- I have options #1 and #2 : I did write a comparative review on #2: http://www.mopswerk.de/shaved-samyang-8mm-f2-8-panorama-lens-review/

- Currently I prefer APS-C #1 over FF #2, as it gives me bigger resolution (>10.000 pixels width instead of 9.000) and this is more to be considered: Weight! The A7/8mm is around 770g vs 550g for the A6000/7.5mm > Though small weight difference on paper, it really makes some difference, when you mount the combos on a 3m high pole and do things like cliff hangers when you put out the monopole horizontally (picture below is taken with the 7.5mm on A6000):

16324226136_76a28d4bd5.jpg

Lauffen by MOPS Werk, on Flickr

Further downside of #2 using the Nodal Ninja Ring Adapter: To change aperture you'd need to dismantle the ring. So I keep it fixed at F7. But on the other hand, using #2 could be pereferential to use, when for example better ISO performance of a full frame sensor is a plus (for example during night shots)

PS: I also checked some other combinatiosn with my old Nikon Fish Eyes (all gone now   ;)   ): http://www.mopswerk.de/pole-panorama-testing-sony-a7/... all of my adapter solutions would go beyond 1.000g of weight. Whether it's the 8mm or the 7.5mm solution, both are a big weight relief

• 1 month later...

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for your question, I have the Samyang 8mm and the Rokinon 7.5mm modified. I prefer the Rokinon 7.5mm.

Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye is a sharp full frame (180 degree diagonal angle of view) fisheye, originally made for Micro Four Thirds (M43) system. It requires 5-6 shots around plus top and bottom shots to complete a spherical panorama, but, it is prefereble to make 6 pictures 30 degrees upward and 6 pictures 30 degrees downward. It is found that when adapted to a camera with APS-C (larger) sensor, it will give a 180 degree coverage along the width of image sensor with high sensor area utilization and high image quality. Only 4 shots around are necessary to complete a spherical panorama. It is very small and light-weight.

I like the Samyang 8mm for FF Sony. It is important here to say that the lens hood lens was shaved in order to not be visible on the picture of a full-frame camera Sony A7r.

All my tests, http://quebecpanorama.com/en/kits

Thanks,

Hi QuebecPanorama,i'm going to get a lens for my a6000 to shoot panaroma. I'm wondering is your sample on your website stiched by 4 vertical shot with 7.5mm lens.If it is,I'm happy to geit one for this simplify shooting process.Thank you

Nice To See Someone else using the Nodal Ninja Kit :)  !

There's the following options avaialble for the Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex Fish Eyes

#1: the 7.5mm Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex MFT converted for e Mount

#2 the (shaved) 8mm Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex in Version I

#3 the (shaved) 8mm Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex in Version II

- Difference #2 vs. #3 > Exit Pupil of #3 is farther off from the sensor > no strange blue edges any more (cf. article in german http://pt4pano.com/de/blog/8mm-f28-umc-fisheye-ii.. u might give it a try to translate it with google). The new version possibly also gives greater resolution in terms of Mega Pixel count.

# On #3: As the entrance Pupil is different from #2, you also need another Nodal Point Adapter. I don't know whether for example Nodal Ninja already has one for the CSC II version (i have one for the version I)

- I have options #1 and #2 : I did write a comparative review on #2: http://www.mopswerk.de/shaved-samyang-8mm-f2-8-panorama-lens-review/

- Currently I prefer APS-C #1 over FF #2, as it gives me bigger resolution (>10.000 pixels width instead of 9.000) and this is more to be considered: Weight! The A7/8mm is around 770g vs 550g for the A6000/7.5mm > Though small weight difference on paper, it really makes some difference, when you mount the combos on a 3m high pole and do things like cliff hangers when you put out the monopole horizontally (picture below is taken with the 7.5mm on A6000):

16324226136_76a28d4bd5.jpg

Lauffen by MOPS Werk, on Flickr

Further downside of #2 using the Nodal Ninja Ring Adapter: To change aperture you'd need to dismantle the ring. So I keep it fixed at F7. But on the other hand, using #2 could be pereferential to use, when for example better ISO performance of a full frame sensor is a plus (for example during night shots)

PS: I also checked some other combinatiosn with my old Nikon Fish Eyes (all gone now   ;)   ): http://www.mopswerk.de/pole-panorama-testing-sony-a7/... all of my adapter solutions would go beyond 1.000g of weight. Whether it's the 8mm or the 7.5mm solution, both are a big weight relief

hi mopswerk,I.m wondering whether your recent projects are stiched by 4 verticle shot?

• 1 year later...