sound issues with SMAD-P3 adapter for UWP-D11 wireless

I recently did this sound comparison (below link) and was disappointed that the convenient and elegant design concept of the SMAD-P3 multi-interface hot shoe mount for UWP-D11 is undermined by noise and hiss compared to using the K2M-XLR  adapter or even 3.5mm direct to camera. 

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who is having similar or different results with the SMAD-P3 especially on A7s2 and RX10

Thank you

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul, I have a sony A7s Mk2, decided to go for the UWP-D16 kit with SMAD P3 as I love the design concept and thought it would be a great solution for simple audio setups. Received the kit yesterday and Im experiencing the same issues using the SMAD-P3, an unacceptable level of noise is introduced. Have you had any response from sony?

Thanks

Brendan 

Hi Brendan

Sorry to hear that. No I haven't contacted Sony - their support services are pretty bad and I just don't have time or will to wait at the moment. I put my comparison vid on youtube and got a mysterious response that I can't see working  'If you plug a 3.5 into the a7s (while using the SMAD) it gets rid of the hiss.' I've asked for a reply for more info but none yet.

Paul

Some comments here from Brendan Lines may shed light on this issue. We need to be able to also use in camera sound level controls to decrease the hot signal the Smad makes - a firmware update for Alpha line ?

Hi Paul, thanks for test. Im seeing the same issue too. I have noticed that you cannot control the mic level from the in camera menu once the SMAD-P3 is attached and have to control levels from the receiver itself. The levels are generally very hot coming in so I wonder if the in camera mic levels default to a high value or auto gain once the SMAD-P3 is attached? The audio certainly sounds like noisy in camera pre-amps being maxed out? If I run the UTX-B03 through the mini jack mic input with the audio out level on the receiver set to -12 (reducing the signal, requiring the mic level in camera to be raised to 24 + to get the same audio level) This produces the same noise floor to when I'm running the receiver directly through the hot shoe. Im guessing the camera defaults to auto gain when you attach the SMAD-P3 and overdrives the pre amps. I managed to test the UWP-D16 with SMAD-P3 on an FS7 today, initially the levels were defaulted to auto once the SMAD-P3 was attached and the noise floor was just as bad. However you can manually control the gain for the hot shoe inputs on the FS7 and once I had done this the noise floor was acceptable. I'm guessing what we need is a firmware update to allow manual control of levels through the hot shoe. you can then keep the in camera mic levels low and ad more gain on the receiver side if need be.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I've had a similar issue with the UWP-D11 series using the SMAD-P3 adapter on my FS7 camera. It sounded like an electrical buzz or slight hiss.. It only happened when using it with the SMAD-P3 on my FS7, and not on an A7s I have.

After taking it in to Sony under warranty, they mentioned they were aware of this issue when using the received with the SMAD etc.. Apparently it's the URX receiver - some of them have old boards? Anyway, they didn't have the replacement board so swapped out the entire unit and updated the software.

I'm not sure if this is the exact issue you guys are having, but I thought I'd weigh in FYI!

I also own the handheld mic (UTX-M03) which seems to have an even louder noise floor (10-20db) than the beltpack mic transmitter. Sony says this is 'just the way it is' unfortunately.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guyz

I just bought my 3rd a7sii and a smad and am soooo very disappointed, I had assumed that I would get better audio connecting my UWP radio mic via smad - digital clean sound, control via my camera - my experience is sad, seems auto gain!! sound clipped , sounds like the hiss is up too and now the volume control is greyed out  :(   I am a professional , using a pro camera , pro wireless mics, expensive G lens - why on earth SONY have you done this to us - when can we expect a firmware upgrade ????? please - it should NOT be better for me to connect via the analogue red input  - can anyone explain how this product is even for sale? the UWP comes with a hot shoe mount and an analogue cable - i feel i have been screwed again by Sony!!! I have a good mind to return it!!!!! YES i am very very disappointed!!!!!

is there any information available on how to setup correctly??? does Sony suggest how to set the wireless mic transmitter and receiver gain, and output levels ???
Pleeeeease has anybody figured this out cheers Hunty

• 5 years later...

Have the same issue with Sony a7sIII and SMAD-3. With Sony FDR AX-100E SMAD works fine. With A7s3  menu I cannot control mi Shoe Audio Set, only Audio Rec level. Problem is hiss and other extra noises. These extra noises I can get rid of if I use batteries inside the URX-P03 receiver. But one main idea with SMAD-plate is that you do not have to use batteries since it can take power from camera. Even if I use the URX with miniplug wire - the hiss is there.  With Sennheiser wireless or other mics - no problem.

Any solution?