Is the RX1RII worth the price?

Is the the RX1RII worth it?

I bought an RX10 along to go with my A7RII for 2 reasons I wanted a general walk around camera and I liked the idea of the zoom range.  In truth it gets good shots but is slow and bulky particularly when I'm caring my A7RII and lenses.

I am on the fence regarding the RX1RII, for 2 reasons - the recent reviews in Sony Alpha Rumors were mixed except for great image quality. The price!  I am hooked on the full frame results.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/digitalrev-reviews-the-rx1rii-and-new-rx1rii-alcantara-case/

It's one thing to spend 3K on a primary camera but If I am spending in that range painful as it is and setting aside camera system constraints would the Leica Q be worth the extra money.

I want to end up with a smaller full-frame carry around camera to accompany my primary Sony.

Any experiences, alternatives, or suggestions would be welcome.

Seems like you really would have preferred the

RX100 MkIII. It appeals to me as well, as an

alternative to my FF systems. BUT ... I think if

I really do shell out several hunnert sheckels

for a camera I don't actually NEED, I'd prolly go

with Canon's GX5. Compared to the RX100-III

it has a standard hot shoe and a "normal" EVF

instead of Sony's pop-up, which strikes me as

too cute to trust ... IOW fragile.

Both have 20MP 1-inch sensors [maybe the very

same sensor]. Chances are reviewers will favor

the Sony, performance-wise. And even if both

cameras have the same sensor, the processors

are NOT the same. None of that would trump the

solid-mounted EVF, and hot shoe, on the Canon.

I've never found the "results" in reviews to

have any impact on real world results.

i was thinking about this too

and came to the conclusion, after looking to test shots and reading test´s i would go for the Leica Q

the reason is that i like Leica lenses more than Zeiss, it is the magenta pop of the zeiss lenses that i think is to much

Leica glass tends more to the blue and i find them more neutral than zeiss, but zeiss has awesome great lenses and the sonnar 35F2 is great too

also the system of the Leica has better ergonomic and the EVF is great

it is a matter of taste and if i would spend so much money i want to have the best for my needs 

if you like the Zeiss magenta pop go for the RX1, they are both great cameras

or in case of saving money

the Fuji X100T or X70  

- If your primary concern is "Image Quality" rather than money, then I'd go for Sony RX1RII.

- If your primary concern is "size", then I'd go for Sony RX100 III or IV

- If your primary concern is a mixture of all (Meaning: not too big in size and not too expensive. But, still to have good image quality), then I'd go for Sony A6000 or A6300.

Reagarding Leica Q, there's an excellent article by Chad Wadsworth that compares Sony RX1/RII and Leica Q. 

http://chadwadsworth.com/2015/11/18/sony-rx1rii-vs-leica-q/

And if your primary concern is "handling" and "feel" and a camera that has that certain "something" to use.

The X Pro2.

j.

What's wrong with Sony's "handling" and "feel" ? Honestly, Fuji (including X-Pro2) is one of the worst when it comes to "handling" and "feel", IMO. Because :

- I find the grips on Fuji Bodies very uncomfortable and small. (Even in some models, there is almost no grip at all. Only a tiny hump.) Thus, makes the handling very difficult. 

- They look ugly. (Granted, that's a personal taste.)

- Also, they are "expensive" for what they offer. (X-pro2 sells for 1899 USD at amazon! http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-Pro2-Body-Professional-Black/dp/B01A8DUR74/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1457089574&sr=1-1&keywords=fuji+x-pro2 while you can get a FF A7-II for a less!)

And am not sure what do you mean by saying "that has that certain "something" to use" ? 

Sorry, if all those sound harsh or indelicate and my intention is definitely not to start a "flame war".  These are just my personal opinions and wanted to share only.

Cheers,

well...

We can agree to disagree, and if you're not sure what I mean about a camera having that certain "something", it might be best to leave it as two gents who disagree with class.

All I'll say is I own an

A7II

RX1R

and as of yesterday, also

An X Pro2.

And the Fuji (not my first Fuji, I have had a Pro1, X-T1, and X100S) has a very mechanical, feelsome way about it, that the Sonys (while technically superior in many ways) do not. It's a weight, density? thing maybe. They feel less like computers. More like mechanical things, and that shutter sound. ! Maybe it's the available OVF also.

I agree the Pro2 is overpriced at launch BTW

Anyway. No gear is perfect, and I like different tools for different jobs (and moods), but when I want to shoot with a "camera", it's the Fujis (and the Pro2 is the ultimate in this) that feel most camera-like to use. I used a Leica M262 / 50 Summilux the other day (not mine) and the similarity in "feel" was remarkable, almost to the point of the Fuji feeling nicer. Although no doubt the Leica is a far better thing.

Some rigs just feel great to use.

I guess that's the clearest way I can put it.

Cheers,

j.

Is the the RX1RII worth it?

It's one thing to spend 3K on a primary camera but If I am spending in that range painful as it is and setting aside camera system constraints would the Leica Q be worth the extra money.

I want to end up with a smaller full-frame carry around camera to accompany my primary Sony.

Any experiences, alternatives, or suggestions would be welcome.

The RX1RII is certainly cheaper than the A7r2+lens, it seems like reasonable to good value. But still expensive, and has a PASM dial, does a camera at this price range need a "scene" mode, who do they expect to buy it exactly?

Leica Q is a better camera, but can't match the Sony technically/resolution wise. Its overpriced, which is a shame.

RX1RII definitely seems good, I would take it over the Q, however if Leica released an X-113 with builtin finder ... that would be more interesting than either - the size of the RX1RII with the design of the Q.

I still get good results from my Ricoh GR, sells new for under 600 ... gives the Q a run for its money, leaves a lot of money left ... check out a Milvus or Otus!

- If your primary concern is "Image Quality" rather than money, then I'd go for Sony RX1RII.

- If your primary concern is "size", then I'd go for Sony RX100 III or IV

- If your primary concern is a mixture of all (Meaning: not too big in size and not too expensive. But, still to have good image quality), then I'd go for Sony A6000 or A6300.

Reagarding Leica Q, there's an excellent article by Chad Wadsworth that compares Sony RX1/RII and Leica Q. 

http://chadwadsworth.com/2015/11/18/sony-rx1rii-vs-leica-q/

Thanks this was really helpful

Timde,

I'm kinda with you on the Frankencamera thing.

I want the guts of the RX1R 24mp, (but w' 5 axis stabilisation) in the body of the X Pro2.

With a fixed 50mm f1.4 Summilux equivalent :-)

I'd pay just about anything for that camera .

j.

• 4 weeks later...

Timde,

I'm kinda with you on the Frankencamera thing.

I want the guts of the RX1R 24mp, (but w' 5 axis stabilisation) in the body of the X Pro2.

With a fixed 50mm f1.4 Summilux equivalent :-)

I'd pay just about anything for that camera .

j.

When I compare the Rx1ii against the Rx100 ... a little bit bigger, a whole lot better. Hmmm   :)  

Well, for me I just couldn't justify it. I have a A7RM2. What I was able to justify was purchasing a mint condition RX1 for about $1,100. I am really enjoying the camera, 35mm is my "normal" lens. 

Focusing is not as fast as the either my A7RM2 or the new RX1M2, but for my work, it is just fine. It produces very nice images, and for the price, I really like what I got.