Building a Lens Kit, Looking for a Mount Type

Worth

I recently purchased a a7s ii and I'm looking to build a vintage lens kit from the same type of mount, ideally. I also bought a Zeiss Loxia 50 f/2, so something to compliment this lens, without spending too much(Under $400 per lens), would be amazing. I'm using it for video mostly so build quality, smooth focus, as well as smooth bokeh are all important. Of course, the sharper and faster, the better.

I'm looking for a wide and telephoto lens. I've been reading a variety of reviews, doing intense research and I think I'm starting to become paralyzed by the potential options. However, I think my specific needs do not necessarily match what others are looking for, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

I wholeheartedly avail nomad advice.

The following Contax glass will set you back less than 400 per lens (sometimes just 1/3rd or a 1/4th of that) and it is all between extremely good and excellent:

28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.7 or 1.4 (btw, I like the bokeh of the 1.7 better, and it is sharper and cheaper to boot), 85/1.4 or 2.8, 100/3.5, 135/2.8, 28-85/3.3-4, 35-70.

The 18 and the 300 are rather good, but not as good as the above mentioned ones. The 100-300 is great, but it will cost a lot more than you plan to spend.

The 25/2.8 has a not so brilliant reputation, but mostly because it has weak corners at wide apertures. If you intend to use it more like a reportage / street lens than as a landscape one you'll probably love it.

The 180/2.8 is not the sharpest 180 out here (no ED glass), but I like it very much especially for b/w use.

Ditto re CY lenses as above, I have the 28 2.8, I own both 50s, but prefer the 1.7, 85 2.8 & 135 2.8 in my bag. Small packages, the 135 being the larger footprint (a bit longer than the others), but it's a lovely lens. Stick with MMJ for the 28mm if you can. Others less of an issue. Have a look over at

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92044-Contax-Zeiss-Survival-Guide

If you haven't already done so, lots of great stuff in here on CY lenses.

I can only comment on the Metabones IV smart adapter which I've discussed before in various threads and forums. Ive based all my adaptions around the Canon EF mount point. So my Contax lenses all have CY to EF adapters fitted. My choice was initially driven by my holding onto a few nice canon lenses which still fill gaps in my CY lenses, those being the 100L (I just can't afford the Zeiss 100 f2 macro) the 200L and the 24 2.8 IS. Since the A7ii firmware update enabled PDAF, I added the 50 STM lens, so I have the option of shooting AF or MF, I tend to carry the 50 STM in my bag along with my CY lenses just in case. So I had, and maintain an adaption strategy, which would allow me to switch back to canon in the future if that was beneficial. A long way of saying, think it through re adapters, just as with your lenses. I've opted for a consistent approach, and that has worked out. So the Metabones EF adapter is always mounted on my camera, presenting the EF mount point. Metabones have also been on the job with the firmware updates as technology rolls on. I picked mine up off eBay. Ps I also prefer the Leitax CY to EF adapters which require you to fit the adapter to the lens using the mount screws, so it's solid. So all my lenses have EF mount, my one and only Leica R Summicron 50 has a Leitax mount. I tend to use Leitax adapters for my more expensive or heavier adapted lenses, I trust it. That's the beauty of picking canon as the adaption mount for me, completely interchangeable, and canon has the short'ish flange focal length of 44mm. I've also found the Metabones interface to be very sturdy, no slop or play, at the camera interface, nor at the lens mount face. so my adapted lenses are rock solid on the body. The Leitax mount is reversible, you can remove it and refit the Contax screws as original for sale if need be. I also have a couple of The_X_Vision adapters which are the cheaper bayonet type and these are reasonably well made, but as with any Spring based mechanism, may/will loosen in time with use.

• 2 months later...

While I think that CY mount is a great choice, given the options, it is a dead mount with a relatively limited number of lenses, with many of them relatively expensive. I would suggest Nikon mount, as lenses can be adapted to pretty much everything out there, should you decide to not use Sony in the future. There's also a huge amount of lenses available, both from Nikon and third parties. If you want smooth focus for video, cheaper and faster lenses, then just get M-mount Voigtlanders.

I wholeheartedly avail nomad advice.

The following Contax glass will set you back less than 400 per lens (sometimes just 1/3rd or a 1/4th of that) and it is all between extremely good and excellent:

28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.7 or 1.4 (btw, I like the bokeh of the 1.7 better, and it is sharper and cheaper to boot), 85/1.4 or 2.8, 100/3.5, 135/2.8, 28-85/3.3-4, 35-70.

The 18 and the 300 are rather good, but not as good as the above mentioned ones. The 100-300 is great, but it will cost a lot more than you plan to spend.

The 25/2.8 has a not so brilliant reputation, but mostly because it has weak corners at wide apertures. If you intend to use it more like a reportage / street lens than as a landscape one you'll probably love it.

The 180/2.8 is not the sharpest 180 out here (no ED glass), but I like it very much especially for b/w use.

I fully concur with that. I use the 28, the 1.7/50 (which is really great), the 1.4/85 (the reason I moved to Sony in the first place), the 28-85 which never fails to pleasantly surprise and the 80-200, which I seldom use but always get outstanding IQ   

C/Y is great! :-) And it fits nicely to the modern Seiss Lenses, e.g. if you need to go wide you can use the 1635.

For more vintage touch I use Minolta - different colour and contrast and also some sharp and small lenses out there.

Btw - I use the cheap tinxi Adapter (Amazon) - had problems with Fotodiox, both tinxis work fine.

• 3 months later...