Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO ZE or ZF.2 on Sony A7RII

AMSOne

Hi all I am a newbie in this forum and this is my first post. I am considering to buy the awesome Zeiss 135mm F/2 APO for my A7RII however I am not sure which mount (ZE or ZF.2) would be better. I have the Metabones IV adapter so the following would be pros and cons of each. I would like to hear the opinion of you all regarding this dilemma.

ZE Mount

Pros:

1. ExiF data through the metabones adapter
  2. Full 5-Axis stabilisation through metabones (as it transfers the focal length and aperture information)---> I am not 100% sure on this
  3. better usability in studio with flash (s the aperture will stay open and close only for taking photo therefore the viewfinder will be nice and brighter

Cons:

1. Needs Metabones to change aperture
  2. Is only usable on Canon and Sony and due to lack of aperture ring and flange distance.
  3. Lower resale value due to #2

ZF.2 Mont

Pros:

1. Manual Aperture ring (Can work with cheap dump adapters)
  2. Works on any system with shorter flange distance (Nikon, Canon, Sony , Fuji, etc)
  3. Better resale value due to #2
  4. potential autofocus with Techart Pro adapter (although its a bit heavy for it)

Cons:

1. No Exif
  2. 3-Axis stabilisation vs 5 axis.
  3. Dark view finder when used in studio

I would really like to hear your options on this matter,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there - funny because I'm new also and this is also my first post.

Might I suggest a third option to consider (and it might be that this is what you meant by the 'ZE' option of this lens). The still current A-Mount Sony Carl Zeiss 135mm f/1.8 T* ZA is about 70% cheaper new currently than its original RRP and it's almost certainly going to get even cheaper over the next few months. Additionally, you can pick them up on eBay or 'approved used' from main dealers, for close to half what they cost new and most of these examples will be in mint condition since they will innevitably be low use/studio use so less exposed to the outdoors. 

This lens is faster than the ZF version and when used with the LA-EA4 adapter, which yes you have to buy in addition but which can also be found cheap(er) on eBay, not only allows full EXIF and apperture control, but also adds very good PDAF as well.

Add all that to the fact that this lens is regularly cited as one of the sharpest lenses ever made and you have a compelling reason to go for that lens, either new or used, over the others.

There are great reviews of this lens used on the A7 around. Have a look here: http://phillipreeve.net/blog/carl-zeiss-sonnar-135mm-11-8-za-review/ and here http://kurtmunger.com/sony_135mm_f_1_8_carl_zeissid266.html (although this second one is on an A-Mount body.)

The only down side to this lens as far as I can tell is its sheer size. It's big on its own but when you add the lens hood you add another third to the length of the thing. It's also a screw drive focus mechanism, so it's slower to focus and it's more noisy than the SSM driven lenses. I have the little brother of this lens, the 85mm ZA, which has the same focus mechanism and it's easily something you get used to, especially if you're using it in a studio setting. The PDAF on the LA-EA4 is also really very good and if you'd prefer manual focus then the LA-EA3 will allow that and is much cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big fan of the Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO ZE. I use it with the metabones adapter and I have had no problems. It is probably one of my favorite lenses and the DoF is amazing. I find it super sharp and the colors are great with the A7RII. The differences between the ZE and ZF.2 are probably minimal. The in-camera aperture works quite well. I don't see much difference in resale prices. I rented it from lensrentals.com and chose to purchase it. Part of my decision on the ZE is that I thought I was more likely to use other Canon lenses with the adapter.