Persuade Me

Hi, all,

I'm an Nex7 user which I've had since the first cameras were released in the UK.

I convinced myself that I did not need to upgrade to a6000.....autofocus aside, the camera was not sufficiently better, for me, than the Nex7.

I have waited for the next upgrade for the past couple of years and now that it has arrived I'm underwhelmed, again.

-Even better autofocus (good but not alone worth the upgrade)

-better evf (but the one on the Nex7 is pretty good)

-extended ISO (need to wait for full tests to know if this is going to be really useful i.e. if you can shoot at, say, 3200 without noticeable noise)

-loads of video stuff  (I do not want or need)

-silent shutter (could be useful)

-no IBIS!!! (that, of course, we all thought we would get)

-no fully articulated screen (would have been worthwhile)

-no touch screen (very useful, I'm told by Panasonic shooters)

-no new 'E' lenses (esp. zooms: just top end FE ones)

-slightly bigger and heavier body (going the wrong way?)

-£1000 price tag (who are you kidding, Sony)

OK, persuade me that trading in my Nex7 makes some sort of sense and will enable me (or rather, assist me) to take my photography to another level.

Regards to all......Mangloria

Hi, all,

I'm an Nex7 user which I've had since the first cameras were released in the UK.

I convinced myself that I did not need to upgrade to a6000.....autofocus aside, the camera was not sufficiently better, for me, than the Nex7.

I have waited for the next upgrade for the past couple of years and now that it has arrived I'm underwhelmed, again.

-Even better autofocus (good but not alone worth the upgrade)

-better evf (but the one on the Nex7 is pretty good)

-extended ISO (need to wait for full tests to know if this is going to be really useful i.e. if you can shoot at, say, 3200 without noticeable noise)

-loads of video stuff  (I do not want or need)

-silent shutter (could be useful)

-no IBIS!!! (that, of course, we all thought we would get)

-no fully articulated screen (would have been worthwhile)

-no touch screen (very useful, I'm told by Panasonic shooters)

-no new 'E' lenses (esp. zooms: just top end FE ones)

-slightly bigger and heavier body (going the wrong way?)

-£1000 price tag (who are you kidding, Sony)

OK, persuade me that trading in my Nex7 makes some sort of sense and will enable me (or rather, assist me) to take my photography to another level.

Regards to all......Mangloria

Greetings from a newbie,

I couldn't agree more. The £1000 price tag is a bit steep. I had expected about £800. You can get an A7 and 28-70mm lens for less from Jessops. Or the 90mm Macro lens. I am definitely not tempted by the a6300. For the photos I take, a second a6000 body, so I don't need to change lenses when I'm out shooting, would be a better idea. I could buy a prime lens with the change.

As a former Nex 7 user (now A7r) I perhaps can give you a couple of alternatives (besides keeping your Nex 7, that's it).

Option 1)

Buy an Olympus E-M10, mk I or II. It is "only" 16Mp, compared to the 24Mp of the Nex, but given that:

- the lenses are cheap and super sharp

- IBIS is fantastic, so you really don't need to push the iso so much

- high iso noise up to 3200 is not that bad as the small sensor would imply, and I've always found the Nex 7 sensor noisy as hell anyway as soon as you started doing any kind of post processing.

the difference in megapixels goes away for all practical purposes (you can safely print up to 1 meter with proper sharpening). Besides the lenses are incredibly small; check the opening picture I shot for this post to see how much:

why-you-should-consider-a-micro-43-setup

Option 2)

As already Ben pointed out, the A7 II would be another excellent solution. But I wouldn't use one, though, as an APS-c crop machine. It makes sense to spend that kind of money and to lug around a (slightly) bigger and (substantially) heavier camera only if you are willing to take advantage of the full frame.

In the end IMO you should decide thinking about what lenses do you want to use (do Sony offers them in APSc or in full frame? how much do they cost? how big they are? You got the point), if you are willing to lug around heavier full frame lenses, the level of image quality you need.

No reason to move on from the Nex-7.

It's an excellent camera but you won't

get much money for it so keep using it.

If you can feel no hurry to part with it,

you can just watch the never ending

procession of upgrades, and snag a

new camera when the degree of

improvement justifies a purchase.

Like you, I was ready to upgrade to a

new body with IBIS. I'm still ready. I

do have an IBIS camera but it's much

bigger than my Nex. I would like a

slightly bigger Nex/Alpha with IBIS.

I agree with Golem. Besides, you sound like you have made up your mind and just want confirmation. If you are happy with your Nex-7, by all means enjoy yourself. There is no need to abandon your happy spot because people all around you are shouting.

If and when you feel the passion to change cameras, then you will validate yourself. 

Nex-7 is still a great camera, mine is still winning print competitions at my club, (13"x19")and I have had perfect 16x24 prints made.

Nail on the head about ISO noise, I would wait until its on the: Imaging Resource Comparometer -still life display at various iso settings, to compare the 2 sensor abilities. 

Definitely stay with what you have and obviously enjoy.

Upgrade when and only when a new product offers a feature you actually want/need. In your case I'm not sure what that feature might be - IBIS?

Possibly worth noting that sometimes improved performance can open new creative doors - thinking of high iso performance for example. That would help you to explorea new area of photography?

Tim

Golem, can you paste in a link to the noiseware deal?

I cant find it.

Thanks.

I can't find the $35 dollar deal today. Maybe it

was a 24hr special offer. But the products are

not expensive anyway [$70 to $130] and here

are some links to their stuff:

http://www.projects-software.com/denoise/denoise-projects

http://www.projects-software.com/denoise-projects-professional

http://www.projects-software.com/

Golem, can you paste in a link to the noiseware deal? I cant find it.

Thanks.

Here it is:

https://www.cleverbridge.com/105/?scope=checkout&cart=159432&affiliate=41012&coupon=S1W-GKS-F92&country=US&currency=USD&Language=en&paymentTypeId=PPA_STD&recommendation=none&billingSalutationId=MR_&copyBillingToDeliveryOut=false&copyBillingToLicenseeOut=false&cfg=franzis2014_nr&x-at=43R

BTW, I downloaded the demo and I wasn't particularly impressed. I think former Nik, now Google, Dfine does a way better job

Hi,

I will definitively switch from my nex-7 to the a6300. I want much better ISO with the same resolution and at least the same body quality as the NEX-7. I don't needs IBIS (too fragile) and I don't want to spend more than 1000$ for a camera body as all my sony cameras were not lasting long enough to justify their price ( A700 in body stabilization broken after only 1.5 years, nex-5 screen black after only 1 year, nex-7 EVF starting to fall apart. The only sony camera built like a tank is my old A100 ).

I will use the camera with A-lenses only (SAL2470F2.8Z and SAL135F1.8Z) and I will post some comparison shots nex-7 vs a6300.

I leaped. I put a deposit on the a6300, then just bought the FE 70-200 F4 G OSS and the SEL 16-70 F4 OSS on a no-tax sale at Samy's. Moving up from an a57 and switching from a-mount to e-mount. I passed my a57 on to my daughter. This will be an upgrade for me in both body and lenses. I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist it!

To put this into some perspective, I come from the Kodachrome days and a Nikon SLR, and the a57 was a major step up for me after years of falling back on using "point and shoots" for work photos. So, to return to Mangloria's original statement of "Persuade Me", I think any of the contemporary cameras and lenses are terrific! I remember when "autofocus" was introduced and photographers scoffed at it. Now, well, we argue about how fast and how sharp the various autofocus systems compare with each other. I think the Nex 7 is heaven, and the a6000 is upper heaven. As I wrote earlier, I got carried away with the passion for a new camera!  

Thanks everyone.

All views are thoughtful and helpful (not like on some other sites).

I'll probably wait until prices of the a6300 drop in the UK, or another 'killer' APS-C camera is released by Sony.

I hope that after all of the FF focus of the past 2 years that will happen.

By the way, W** have offered me a derisory £180 for my Nex7 in PX for a a6300.

I'm heavily into the Sony system with 3 E mount lenses, 3 A mount lenses and convertor/adaptor, cases and filters.

It would be a shame to chuck all that in.

Panasonic and Olympus and Fuji all seem much more committed to the micro 4/3rds or APS-C format, though and are now real competitors. Hopefully, Sony want to stay at the forefront of this format too?

Many thanks,

Mangloria.