The A99mk2 will not be released before June 2016

delewin

Hi all,

With the very recent release of both the A6300 APS-C body AND the 3 excellent Sony GM lenses, I feel our wait for the A99 mk2 has been further delayed for a number of reasons.

I present a summary below:

1.      Sony will want to let the release of the A6300 “stand up” to the review process and be generally acclaimed as a great little camera.

2.      It will be accepted as moving the boundary of camera technology forward.

3.      The 3 GM lenses will be tested against all competitors and come back with award after award.

4.      All the above will take months to play out and Sony does not want another camera announcement to “distract” the focus on these new products.

5.      Both Nikon and Canon have just released their new top of the line models and Sony has cleverly “held back”.

6.      This gives Sony the opportunity to add or fine-tune features that will exceed the capacity of the opposition products.

7.      Sony will use the A99 mk2 as its first serious Professional full size digital camera. I am not saying the original A99 was not a serious camera, but it was the first of its kind in full format and Sony was still learning. Sony’s development of FF sensor technology puts them in the “box” seat to lead the world in digital cameras.

8.      The biggest personal issue I see with the release of the A99 mk2 will be its high price. L

I understand development costs must be recouped, but based on the release cycle of the A99 and it’s mk2 update, I politely request Sony chooses to amortise this expense over a longer rather than shorter timeframe.

Regards,

David

Hi,

those are some interesting thoughts. I also think Sony will delay the release of the A99II for the reasons you mention.

One thing is for sure: It has to be a sensational camera otherwise a lot of people will be pretty disappointed.

Sent from my Aquaris X5 using Tapatalk

I really hope the A99II will not be a very expensive camera such as the D5 or 1DX II.

Who is going to buy an expensive camera for wildlife when there is only the 300mm and 500 mm available for now? 

Hopefully they will just upgrade the A99 with the focus of the A77II !

I believe Sony needs to consider their options and more importantly their competitors products when pricing the Sony A99 mk2. By this I mean:

1.  Both Canon and Nikon have many models of FF cameras.

2.  Because of the range of models, they have the ability to set prices accordingly. That is High price for a high end model, etc.

3.  All FF Canon lenses fit all Canon interchangeable lens cameras. Likewise for Nikon.

4.  Sony on the other hand has very few FF camera models and these are split over two different lens mounts.

5.  The FE mount cameras now appear to have a complete but basic range of lenses from Sony as well as a good set of prime lenses from other manufactures.

6.  The "old" A Mount fitting the FF A850, A900, A99 have had some minor "tweaks" but nothing significant.

7.  The whole of the Sony User's Community expect the new A99 mk2 will eclipse both Canon and Nikon in its new technology, faster, better, etc. BUT at what price?

8.  IF Sony prices the A99 at the same price point or even above the high end Canon or Nikon it will effectively "kill off" more than 75% of its possible take up by its existing fan base.

9.  Respectfully, Sony even if you have the best product, if it is TOO Expensive, very few will buy it. 

10. As a guide, look at the take up numbers of both Nikon and Canon for their latest top of the line models and compare these figures against the take up of the A7r mk2 and A7s mk2. I believe the "sweet" spot for best sales and penetration into the camera market is no more than the current cost of the A7r mk2 body.

Profit is a combination of price and volume. By going for volume you guarantee further spin off sales of associated Sony gear. As you well know, the cost of the camera body is the least of the overall commitment over time.

So my message is clear. Build market share first. Profits will automatically follow.

Thank you,

Sorry I do not agree. The next gen A99 does not and will not compete with the A6300 or any of the G master lens. I can't see Sony holding off on the A99 replacement to draw out the spotlight. It may have to do with production or tech issues but not any earlier releases.

Hi @timde,

If the A99 mk2 uses the same SLT configuration as the A99 mk1 the answer is no, it will not be able to mount Canon or Nikon lenses.

The reason the A7 mirrorless bodies can is all to do with the design focal distance beyond the rear mount of the lenses. That is, there is room for an adaptor to fit in between the A7 series and the Canon/Nikon lens. The location of the Sensor relative to the Amount does not allow for a lens adaptor to be inserted in between and have the Canon or Nikon lens still work.

The only way this would be possible in a A99 mk2 is if Sony moved the sensor to the front of the body and made it mirror-less, just like the A7 series. Then all the A mount lenses would not work. So to have both options available the Sensor would have to be able to be located in 2 positions. Sony will not do this for a number of valid reasons.

A moveable Sensor would be a really radical redevelopment and worthy of a completely new name series. 

My expectations regarding the specs of the A99 mk2 is that it will have :

1.  the latest high tech Sony sensor (42 MP or higher?)

2.  IBIS

3.  possibly AF points across virtually the whole sensor.

4.  High continuous frame rate using the latest SDXC UHS-2 or even 3 spec.

5.  4K @60FPS

Maybe

6.  2 SDXC card slots

7.  WiFi allowing full remote control (Yes Please.)

8.  USB continuous power mode allowing the use of external battery packs

Regards,

David

So if Sony released an "A9", which was similar in function to the A99 (and many of the points from your list), but with an E-Mount, and a further improved adapter for A-Mount lenses (like they have done recently, but even better) ... then that would definitely be an interesting platform for lots more people than just A-Mount lens owners?

Hi @timde,

In short. Yes.

But the A Mount adaptor must be significantly improved. I have seen videos of the A7r2 with the LEA3 and the A Mount Sony 70-200G mk2 and at wide open aperture in movie mode it cannot track in focus even slow moving objects in good light. :( 

The success of using Alpha A Mount lenses on the mirrorless A7 or later FF series bodies will be based on the quality and effectiveness of the adaptor.

Yes, the A6300 shows some interesting progress in those areas, which makes me wonder if Sony will release a new FF Platform sometime soon that keeps everyone somewhat happy    :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @D700,

Reluctantly, I agree. The advantages of the mirrorless system is too hard for Sony to ignore:

1. Able to use 3rd party adapters to fit 3rd party lenses to the Sony body. This is the biggest and most significant advantage. From a market penetration view, it is brilliant.

2. Able to use a Sony adapter to use legacy Sony Alpha mount glass.

3. Growing list of FE mount fast primes and Zooms. (It is only a matter of time before all legacy lens sizes will be replaced by the equivalent or better in FE mount.)

So, the only unanswered question is "What is Sony's long term plans for the Alpha A mount bodies, such as the A99?"

I reluctantly only see one likely outcome.  :(

That is there may be one or two more A mount lens body produced aimed at the professional user with very deep pockets.

The rest of us will be forced to move over to a mirrorless body like the A7r mk2 or its replacement.

Im desperate for the A99II; personally I'd mortgage my house to buy one if its a stella camera. Itchy for one the last year.

E-Mount has issues for professionals, battery life, one SD card slot, no super zoom or 400mm prime lenses, without them I can see myself using them outside the studio too much I'm sorry to say.

Hi @danmleephoto

All us A700, A850, A900,  A55, A58, A65, A77 (1 & 2) and A99 (apologies if I have missed out any others) users are in the same boat. We all want to take advantage of the huge advances in Sony sensor / AF / low light / etc technology.

We feel "left out in the cold".

I feel Sony should provide us with a proper time line.

That way we can decide whether to wait or move to the A7 series or the A6300 if we wish to stay with the APS-C sencor

It is being kept in the dark that is so frustrating. :(

Hi @D700,

Reluctantly, I agree. The advantages of the mirrorless system is too hard for Sony to ignore:

1. Able to use 3rd party adapters to fit 3rd party lenses to the Sony body. This is the biggest and most significant advantage. From a market penetration view, it is brilliant.

2. Able to use a Sony adapter to use legacy Sony Alpha mount glass.

3. Growing list of FE mount fast primes and Zooms. (It is only a matter of time before all legacy lens sizes will be replaced by the equivalent or better in FE mount.)

So, the only unanswered question is "What is Sony's long term plans for the Alpha A mount bodies, such as the A99?"

Was it Australila, where A-Mount Sales is still discontinued?

Why should Sony build a new niche market A99II SLT dinosaur? (If it is stlill not developed since years)

They have a lot of great and successfull E-Mount bodies plus matching adapters for existing APS-C and FF A-Lenses!

Time will tell ...

Hi @danmleephoto

All us A700, A850, A900,  A55, A58, A65, A77 (1 & 2) and A99 (apologies if I have missed out any others) users are in the same boat. We all want to take advantage of the huge advances in Sony sensor / AF / low light / etc technology.

We feel "left out in the cold".

I feel Sony should provide us with a proper time line.

That way we can decide whether to wait or move to the A7 series or the A6300 if we wish to stay with the APS-C sencor

It is being kept in the dark that is so frustrating. :(

I did get to speak to some Sony bods a while back (Im ex Sony) at PhotoPlus in NY, and was told something is coming but that was left at that, no matter how much I tasered them, no joy.

I have bought A7RII and A7II - nothing like my A99 though :/

In response to the SAR post  "SPOTTED- SONY CEO TESTING NEW NIKON DSLR" he's about to be joined by this long suffering Sony A series photographer. As a pro user who was actually pretty happy with the a77- a99 series, I can't see myself working with the A7's, despite their new tech and numerous features.

Simply, I'm about done. Sony have left us hanging for too long. Bag it all up, send me a Nikon :-((

*sigh*

I am impressed you still think A-mount will see any new ground breaking cameras, Sony is a company and as a company they will bet on the marked bring in profit.

The profit comes from E-mount, and thanks to adapters Sony have "not forsaken" their A-mount customers because they have E-mount as an upgrade path (provided you don't shoot sports and is rich).

I want IBIS so I'll use my A-mount until it breaks, however I won't buy any more A-mount products - E-mount is the future let's face it, and we can reuses our lenses for a more smooth transition. Eventually Sony will make E-mount for sports and wildlife as well, all we need to do is pay premium prices for the native E-mount products since Sigma* won't make FE lenses and Tamron is out of E-mount as well.

*Sigma have stop A-mount releases as well, so more new Sigma lenses for us. However, Sigma lenses can be uses on E-mount via there new Canon/Sigma mount to E-mount adapter.

A-mount is a problem for Sony, they wish they didn't have the A-mount because it's a loose loose situation for them.

They are dammed if they let A-mount users down and they are dammed if they don't.

I think Yutaka Iwatsuki's quote about A-mount's future speaks for itself. They are only keep A-mount alive until E-mount can fulfil all photographic tasks (including sports and wildlife and very low light AF).

They fear A-mount uses reaction when they kill A-mount, so they pretend to care by releasing produces they know won't make a profit (no big sales), only to keep A-mount users from not leaving Sony altogether. 

Many of us wished A-mount where the future but realises it's doomed, so we move to other brands or move to E-mount - unfortunately E-mount is not yet matured, too few native lenses, non for wildlife, too few fast zooms (although the most important ones are on it's way) and virtually no third part support...making all native lenses super expensive and from a price point uncompetitive compare to all other brands and formats.

Adapters are what saves the day for E-mount, allowing users to transit into E-mount smoothly, and with their old lens collection intact. Adapters will need to improve to the point where it can deliver almost native performance, or Sony's many features will suffer without native lenses.

I don't know what to say, but I hate A-mount is dyeing but can't do anything but watch and spend money, first at a dual system, then eventually a new system.

"

1. A-mount future:
    Yutuka says there are two reason to keep A-mount:
    The first is that the A-mount has certain advantages over the E mount and, for now, we can not have all the same functionalities between A and E mount.
    The second reason is that they “we have many customers that we can not give up.
     It is a promise to our customers.“" - http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-2016-will-be-more-impressive-than-2015-and-they-will-not-give-up-a-mount-it-is-a-promise-to-our-customers/

Hi all,

I think adibasco has identified the long term solution for Sony.

As molan highlights, Sony is in a loose / loose with the current situation.

A possible solution for Sony is creating a new adaptor (say we call it the LEA5) "porting" all the functionality of the native FE lenses with the A7r mk2 to the larger A mount glass.

Then the A mount user base could reasonably be expected to gradually move over to the FE series bodies. (As we all know, we keep the lenses but update the bodies.)

The A mount lenses might have a design limitation in that they are not "focus by wire" or something else that stops them from using all the features that the native FE mount lenses can on the A7r mk2 body. I think the older screw focus lenses will not be supported going forward as electronic control becomes more critical. Hopefully SAM motor focus will be supported. I am sure SSM motor focus would be supported.

So, in the mean time how many new native A mount bodies will be produced by Sony?

I still think the A99 mk2 will be produced but it is now looking more like very late in 2016 or even 2017 as the release date :(

I also think it will be pitched by Sony as a direct competitor to the top of the line Nikon and Canon DSLRs.

When Sony produces the FE mount A9 with all "bells & whistles" then the writing will definitely "be on the wall" for the end of the A mount full frame bodies.

All A mount users continue to be very frustrated because:

1.  Both the LEA3 and the LEA4 adaptors do not provide all the features the A7r mk2 can use when it is mated to a native FE mount lens. (This is generally a deal breaker to move over to the FE mount mirrorless body.)

2.  Sony has delayed the release of the A99 mk2 for reasons not disclosed time and time again.

3.  Feel free to add to this list.

delewin I don't think SAM and SSM will ever be a problem, they work as it is now.

In order to make A-mount be as E-mount lenses new firmware have to replace the in lens firmware, and the adapters have to do that - making only original Sony's fully compatible (Tamron and sigma need to make their own adapters for A-mount lenses, just like Sigma did for it's Canon lenses).

I don't think we can avoid a costly lose in lenses, if we want full functionality and speed, but being able to uses uses contrast detection should be possible and then eye AF would be possible.

Another possibility is the make a new LEA4 adapter, with many new focus points covering most of the screen and let it support eye autofocus, it would be a costly adapter though and require firmware update on the cameras as well.

Right now the problem is pricing, I can't speed the money as Sony prices dictates (there is a reason why I have mostly Sigma and Tamron lens for A-mount, and it is the price). E-mount costing even more and with no Tamron/Sigma alternatives is a big problem - then only adapters can save the day.

If you have the money then the move to E-mount is problem free, once the fast zoom are available. 

They are dammed if they let A-mount users down and they are dammed if they don't....

Don't think so; they have to kill A-Mount to focus for the future.

So the best way is tot do nothing and wait.

Maybe they loose one A-Mount customer/day and win 100 in the same time.

It's only a question of time - sittin' and waitin' ...

To tell the world "A-Mount ist dead" would be Harakiri and the wrong strategy

Don't think so; they have to kill A-Mount to focus for the future.

So the best way is tot do nothing and wait.

Maybe they loose one A-Mount customer/day and win 100 in the same time.

It's only a question of time - sittin' and waitin' ...

To tell the world "A-Mount ist dead" would be Harakiri and the wrong strategy

And that is why they won't say so for years, the will release ab A-mount lens or camera pr. year but that's it - and no ground breaking cameras, just minor updates to keep it "alive" until E-mount is ready to do it all.

For now only A-mount is suitable for wildlife and low light focusing. They need to overcome some obstacles before they can finally kill A-mount. Most A-mount users will do dual with E-mount camera and A-mount lenses, they will loose customers, but so does canikon, all dSLR's are bleeding these years. Mirrorless however is ever growing.