Which camera strap for A7 II?

Kami_sn

I came from DSLR and have black rapid that was great for bulky DSLR but now on the A7 it feels a little too big and not very comfortable to work with.

I was wondering what you guys are using/suggesting and why?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use this:

http://lancecamerastraps.com/classic-non-adjust/

In fact it's the one I used on my film rangefinder camera before.  I tend to carry the camera strap across the chest so that the camera rests at my side.  This strip is smooth so that bringing up the camera to my eye is effortless.  This doesn't work with most strap because they drag and get hung on clothes, coats, etc.

I just bought the Peak Design Slide Lite as well as the Cuff wrist strap.  I like the quick disconnect feature, and figure I can swap between the 2 straps depending on what I am doing at the time.

I think the straps are well made and functional.  And I know the clips are certainly strong enough.  But there is ~1" between the strap clip and the camera, and that 1" is a very very very thin cord.  I wish it was more substantial for peace of mind.

On both my Sony a7ii and A7rii the Peak Design Clutch handstraps work really well for me.  If I need to use a strap, I'll clip on the SlideLite.  

The thin cord of the anchor links that jdag mentioned hasn't been a problem for me (and I abuse the heck out of my gear shooting weddings and model shoots at the beach). Peak Design makes those anchor links pretty strong (and I hear the newer versions of the anchor links are even more durable).  Even with the A7rII with battery grip and 70-200mm f4, those anchor links are solid.

On both my Sony a7ii and A7rii the Peak Design Clutch handstraps work really well for me.  If I need to use a strap, I'll clip on the SlideLite.  

The thin cord of the anchor links that jdag mentioned hasn't been a problem for me (and I abuse the heck out of my gear shooting weddings and model shoots at the beach). Peak Design makes those anchor links pretty strong (and I hear the newer versions of the anchor links are even more durable).  Even with the A7rII with battery grip and 70-200mm f4, those anchor links are solid.

Thanks mcguyver.  I agree that the clips are plenty strong.  They just LOOK a bit thin.  But I've read somewhere, I assume on the Peak Design site, that they are rated for 200 pounds.  These straps/clips are plenty robust.

Not trying to start any wars, simply trying to give another perspective. I shoot primes on my A7ii, and most of my lenses are small footprints like Contax (the largest would be my canon 200Lii) so if you're using larger or heavier lenses please ignore. I'm not keen on my camera and lens potentially swinging around or tied to me, so I moved away from neck / sling straps to simple wrist straps. If I'm shooting it feels more ready, secure, personal and discrete in hand, otherwise if I'm on the move it may still be in hand or it's in my bag. I use a simple wrist strap that came off one of my compact cameras, they are plenty strong enough, subtle, discrete and functional. I had previously used an old hiking boot lace that worked just as well and tidied it up with a nice blood knot to look schmick.

I agree with you on wrist straps for the ease of use and convenient when camera is light Weight. Actually I was looking at the one that Peak design is offering, however with camera and lens adding up around a kilo it is not bad idea sometimes to give my wrist a break by throwing the camera over my shoulder, in addition majority of the times the only thing that I carry with me is my camera and cell phone so I don't have a bag to put them in.

I use a Angelo Pelle half case and strap, which makes the camera very easy to hold ... and looks great/balances perfectly with either Loxia or Batis mounted. Often, when walking around town, I use the case with a wrist strap, which is a much cooler look IMO.

http://www.angelo-pelle.com/sony-half-cases.html

http://www.angelo-pelle.com/wrist-strap-for-leica.html  - yellow braided

I am too old to have a load of junk hanging around my neck !

It just makes me  sore, the next  day, so  I wear a backpack, with my lil computer in it, as a counterweight.

Then I clamp my  Peak Design bracket to the left strap, and the Holder , screwed on the camera.

OK it makes it difficult to use a tripod, but  that is not part of my photography anyway.

having the  A7II at my left shoulder, with  the quick release  button, is great.

The weight is  spread  all over the back pack, not just around my neck.

Also the bracket locks the camera in place, so its not just dangling on the end of a strap.

Bracket & holder  costs about 54 quid at Jessops. 

OK , I do have the thin Peake Design strap around my neck, so , in the event of a mishap, I can still protect the camera.

If you are younger, you can attatch the Bracket  to your belt, and  turn the Holder, accordingly.

No doubt some artistic youngsters will find different ways to use the system.

Its Good !

I got the Peak design light and the bracket few days ago and very happy so far with strap and it is very light and unlike my black rapid it's not in my way when I need the camera off my shoulders.

On the tripod issue I attached the bracket to the quick release system of Manfrotto and snap it on it when I use tripod and to secure it from wobbling I use the black screw to do that.

It's very good quality too!

I have an A7 ii and pair it with the Peak Design Clutch:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1189521-REG/peak_design_cl_2_clutch_camera_hand_strap.html

I have recently been doing back button focus and assigned it to C1.  Then C2 is Eye Focus.  It is a little hard to get to the C1 button with the Clutch on your wrist.  But the convenience of the Clutch is hard to beat.  One disadvantage to the Clutch is an Allen wrench (or quarter) is required to remove it.  

Thank you Wally.

I have the AE center button as back button focus and then that leaves C2 open for eye focus if I want to do that. Just another alternative.

I agree on the Allen inconsistent, I wish they would design something like black rapid with foldable crank.