Loose parts inside A7S after warranty service.

I sent in my Sony A7S for a warranty repair of a malfunctioning unit. The unit started acting up, with the dials not working properly while it was still under warranty. The paperwork with my returning "refurbished" camera says "replaced flexible board".

When I grabbed the body to put a lens on,  I could hear and feel a gentle rattle, like something inside was loose. I do not remember anything seeming loose before getting it back from the warranty repair. I am under the impression that whoever took my camera apart to fix the other issue did not properly re-assemble it. Perhaps something wasn't properly tightened down.

Does anyone have a guess as to what is loose, and does anyone else have this rattle, or a loose sounding part? Are there any other moving parts other than the shutter?

I'm still waiting on Sony's response to see how they are going to remedy this issue, I just wanted to get some other opinions on the rattle.

Here is a video a made of the sound.

cheers

Guest Peter Kelly

It's quite hard to judge, but I suspect that the rattle sounds louder in real life (not the easiest thing to record!), in which case it may well be an issue with poor reassembly.

That said, it is just possible to be the shutter mechanism while parked and not under power, so may be within tolerance and nothing to worry about. Indeed, a 'too tight' shutter could be worse if it causes sticking!

As far as I'm aware, that would be the only moving part in the Mk1, which makes it a prime suspect, but diagnosis could be difficult.

The only possible test I can think of is to try the camera powered up and see if you get the same noise. Do it with and without a lens, also, just in case it relates to the the locking pin (very unlikely), and then try it after firing off a few shots to check for a change.

Ultimately, if you aren't happy with the condition then you'll have to get in touch with Sony to check it again. There is little worse than not having faith in your camera in case it stops just at the vital moment, so a check might be in order just for peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah this stinks!

I had a Sony Mavica that developed a rattle, it didn't take long before it failed.

Not that I'm missing those floppy disks all that much ....

Sorry to read this happened to your A7S, please let us know if they make it right.