Sony 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 85 f1.4

pilsburypie

Could this mean price drops on the f4 lines?

:lol:     :lol:     :lol:

Have you seen the prices of these new Gmaster lenses ... no I think they (the f4 range) are now the cheaper option, at the original price    ;)

Oh that 85/1.4 is just what I was waiting for, including the aperture ring and clickless switch from the 35/1.4. Better yet they added a focus hold button and MF/AF switch. Price wise it hurts though.

Desperate to see some tests, the optics must be top notch and I hope for a beautiful bokeh and relatively fast AF.

Like Markoe I am very interested how the Sony 85 will compare with the Zeiss. I have the Zeiss on order with B&H but once again there is a delivery delay until March and so now the Sony 1.4 is an option. The only drawbacks  are a significant bump in price, a little more weight, and no image stabilization. I am assuming the optics will be world class on the Sony. Does anyone know if Sony is more reliable than Zeiss as far as promised delivery dates? I love the idea of a 1.4 85.

I have a dilemma. I just purchased the 135 f1.8 Zeiss for my A7R2 bodies. I have the 35 f1.4 Zeiss, 55 f1.8 Zeiss, 25 f2 Batis, 90 Sony Macro, so I a, more accustomed to prime goodness when I shoot my weddings. I was a Canon guy and relied on the 70-200 for some small group stuff, cocktail hour, dances, and toasts. After having walked around today with the 135 f1.8, it is going to be tough to send it back and purchase the newly released 70-200. As I understand it, the new lens is not Zeiss. I am losing focus point selection with the A to E Mount, but the bokeh is outstanding. It reminds me of the 200mm f2 Canon I shot. Thoughts on the 135 over the 70-200.

Could this mean price drops on the f4 lines?

I think Sony have been clever here - The lenses are so far apart price wise that they are certainly not replacements/upgrades...... 2 separate lines - thus the f4 versions hold their current price...... either stump up your big bucks for the pro GM or go with the consumer version.

I knew there would be a catch - price is it.

If I'm not mistaken the 24-70 has no image stabilisation..... suppose with the A7 line it's not so important due to ibis, but again I thought the lens is used in conjunction with ibis was meant to be better.... not a biggie.

I have both the 25 and 85 Batis on back order, I'm wondering if  I should cancel those and just order the new 24-70 f2.8?

Pros/Cons? size is the obvious advantage of the primes, versatility the advantage of the zoom.

thoughts?

All depends on you. Sony's claims on the 24-70 should mean it is prime sharp. I personally find changing lenses a faff especially when you want to quickly change focal lengths to avoid missing a shot. Only you know what you shoot. The cost of both primes vs the 24-70 is similar.

The 28-135mm OSS G lens with f/4 is one of my favorites and offers really nice bokeh and I've only heard great things about the 70-200mm  f/4 zoom lens (i have not shot with this lens).  For those who already rave about the great results of these f/4 lenses I have no doubt these new G Masters will be better although it is currently hard to fathom without seeing side by side results.  Because I am currently limited in range with my 28-135mm I will most likely wait to see the purchase price of the new 70-200mm as I've nearly pulled the trigger multiple times on the f/4 version...  I'm glad I waited...

Any idea when they will release the price of the 70-200mm lens?

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to the 24-70 and 70-200.

What you are forgetting is the size of these new lenses. The reason for switching to mirrorless was to carry less equipment. These new lenses are going to be much heavier. The 70-200 2.8 will weigh in at 3 pounds.

Have EVF (no ISO penalty), EFCS (not crippled to only mirror lock-up mode), and same viewfinder/liveview AF speed ;)

Jason Lanier did a 24 minute YouTube video head to head comparison of the Sony 85 f1.4 G to the Zeiss 85 f1.8 Batis:

Summary:  He loves the G Master, but still likes the Batis.  Bokeh is better on the G Master and it is a little sharper.  He downplays the weight difference.

I have the Batis and love it.  I don't see a significant advantage with the G Master.  It is heavier and more expensive.  

I'll keep the Batis thank you very much.