Finally reviewed my Batis 25/2

Batis

This is probably a stupid question but if Zeiss can build a display into the lens that shows the minimum and maximum focus based on distance and aperture, is there any reason why the camera cannot also do that for any lens and show It in viewfinder?

Or am I misunderstanding this function?

This is probably a stupid question but if Zeiss can build a display into the lens that shows the minimum and maximum focus based on distance and aperture, is there any reason why the camera cannot also do that for any lens and show It in viewfinder?

Or am I misunderstanding this function?

There is a little slider which shows up when using MF, which shows focal point, but not any DOF that I've noticed. The problem is depending on Sony to

a) implement the function

b  implement it sensibly (and correctly)

c) implement it completely

d) not remove it in the future

Such a simple this is much easier if done by Zeiss. If only they would add the F-stop to the display too. 

There is a little slider which shows up when using MF, which shows focal point, but not any DOF that I've noticed. The problem is depending on Sony to

a) implement the function

c) implement it completely

d) not remove it in the future

Such a simple this is much easier if done by Zeiss. If only they would add the F-stop to the display too. 

Fujifilms x series do have this functionality. and in the new X Pro2 I heard they improved it but having two modes. one of the many reasons I am thinking of getting one (mostly I want a durable, small, travel camera) :P.. dont worry I will still love my a7RII. 

Well Sony seems to be a bit hit and miss with even its own lenses with this feature, as I'm not entirely sure it is accurate for every lens.

If I use the distance scale to obtain hyperfocal distance, it works fine with the FE 55/1.8, but not with the FE 35/2.8.

Distant objects are completely out of focus with the FE 35/2.8.

Fujifilms x series do have this functionality. and in the new X Pro2 I heard they improved it but having two modes. one of the many reasons I am thinking of getting one (mostly I want a durable, small, travel camera) :P.. dont worry I will still love my a7RII. 

What is useful with the Batis is to use it as a "distance finder" on the points of a scene you want in focus, and then adjust the focus/aperture so that those distances are covered by the DOF.

The actual slider in the Sony is pretty wrong when I use the 70-200 G4 zoom, it seems that infinity is about 78 meters in the world of Sony .... but the real limitation is that is only visible when actually changing focus, which makes _some_ sense since it clutters the EVF, but you can't just easily check it. Batis solution is 100% better.

I run a Fuji X-T1 alongside an A7rii for this and many other ergonomic and lens reasons. I will be seriously considering an X-Pro 2 for these and other improvements too.

Really, if Fuji designed the bodies and lenses and Sony implemented the sensors, IBIS and video, we'd probably end up with the perfect camera between them

I run a Fuji X-T1 alongside an A7rii for this and many other ergonomic and lens reasons. I will be seriously considering an X-Pro 2 for these and other improvements too.

Really, if Fuji designed the bodies and lenses and Sony implemented the sensors, IBIS and video, we'd probably end up with the perfect camera between them

[edit: what both manufacturers could consider is an automatic hyperfocal setting]

I agree completely. the merger of these brands would result in a great system. I am seriously torn if I'll buy an Xpro 2 or wait for an XT2 (more my style), but I am impatient...   

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post my quick B&H review of the 25mm as well.  I posted two sample photos on the sale page as well:

Amazing Image and Build Quality

I'm not the best at reviews, so here are my thoughts so far on this lens:

IMAGE QUALITY:

Very sharp, all the way through to about F/16.

f/2 looks awesome on 25mm, especially with the 7.87" minimum focal distance.

Soft, pleasing bokeh

Some chromatic aberrations until about F/2.8, but easily corrected in post.

Great color reproduction

Zeiss flare control is superb as usual.

A bit of vignetting, but I like that look on Zeiss lenses.

BUILD QUALITY:

I do wish that the focus ring and DOF lcd were switched in position. It's a bit difficult to reach back and grab, rather than having your hand support the camera and lens, and just grab the ring with your fingers at the end of the lens.

In terms of build aesthetics, I think it looks great on the A7RII, and it feels and balances great in hand. I like the smooth contours when shooting with auto-focus, and it isn't hard to find the focus ring when in manual.

The digital DOF readout is helpful when you have smaller apertures and can't see the focal plane as easily, so you can just set it to distance. I found it more intuitive than rotating DOF markers.

The lens cap is terrible. it struggles to hold on securely without double checking that you have it seated perfectly back on the lens. I had it fall off and in to the snow twice. It's the cheapest feeling thing on the lens, for sure.

SUMMARY:

It's expensive, but I think it's just on the edge of not being overpriced. It's a high quality piece of engineering, and I think it was worth what I paid for it. 

I love the quality of images I'm getting so far, and it's been on my camera most of the time since I got it.
I'm excited to see what this thing can do at night on my a7s for video as well.

Overall, if the 25mm focal length works for what you shoot, this is certainly one to save up for.