1K Prime 35mm 1.4

ETH0

Hey Eric,

I'm a big fan of 35mm focal length.  It does it all.  Its wide but it's tight.  It can deliver the most amazing images.

I've shot countless tests comparing the quality and Bokeh on many 35mm lenses which I have.  (the really do serve different purposes)

I know some of these are more than $1000. But It's good to know the boundaries of the options.

Zeiss Loxia 35mm f2 
Zeiss sony 16-35mm,  f4
Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 
Rokinon 35mm f1.4. as well as the  (I have the cine version which is a 1.5 with gears)
Sony Zeiss 35mm f1.4  

Here's a quick assessment of the other 35mm lenses I mentioned.

The Sony Zeiss 35mm 2.8 is sharp. about $6-700.  Nice contrast. It's small.  It's light.  It's handy.  It has auto focus (very needed sometimes) but it is sterile and uninspired. 
While I have been able to achieve some decent fall-off and shallow depth of field in some close-up shots, over-all it leaves me flat.
Also no image stabilization which is fine on my Sony a7sII  but not so on the a7s and a7r.

The Zeiss Loxia 35mm about $1400.  Very easy to use. Engages focus magnification automatically. Ergonomics are terrific.  Sharp!!  Zeiss pop! gorgeous booked with creamy renderings.  Size and quality all in all the best performer for carrying, walk around lens.
Consistently delivers outstanding images.  Solid A !

The Sony Zeiss 16-35mm. f4.  $1350. Super handy lens. But large.  Image stabilization.  Crisp. Little distortion. Auto everything.  The Bokeh is nice but not outstanding.  Often I see images on-line that blow me away with this lens as the creator.  f4... f4???!!
Solid B+.      

The little Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 MC is tiny tiny.  about $5-600. The ergonomics take some serious getting used-to.  NOT a lens for any kind of fast movement. Certainly when wide open.  But really can render some nice, very beautiful classic looking, creamy background. Yes, the bokeh is busy compared to zeiss lenses but very nice. Especially with the close focus adapter (which I feel must with Leica M lenses on the a7 series IMO.)  Bang for the buck and the 1.4 make it a a A-.

The Rokinon 35mm 1.4   $470.   (I KNOW I KNOW ITS HUGE & HEAVY) held together with glue and mostly plastic, inexpensive,  
Sorry to even say this but seriously delivers shots on par with the Zeiss 35mm 1.4.   The creamiest backgrounds, most gorgeous Bokeh, crisp, saturated colors, blackest blacks.  It's truly astounding what this $470 lens delivers.  I've had another one fail on me with no movement of the aperture when turning the ring.  Not for the long haul but delivers amazing images.  Images are A+   Build C.

Zeiss 35mm 1.4 is the "magic lens”   $1500. that is the all time greatest. Richest colors. Most pop. Best contrast. Creamiest bokeh.  I own this lens for my Sony a7 series as well as PL mount for Sony f55.  It's BIG.  But by SLR terms it's really fine. The images are really almost the same as the Rokinon but the color and sharpness is just a tad nicer on the zeiss.  By far my favorite all time lens.  
If you want the best. Save up a bit or buy on ebay or B&H used.   the images you will produce will impress,  Images A+ Build A+   

Enjoy, Michael  -  One World Productions