Hi Sony Alpha Forum,

If you are curious about taking a look at Capture One Express for Sony, then join me for a webinar on the 24th February.

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rt/4923230810845237250

There are two sessions depending on your time zone.

More about Capture One here...

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/Software/Capture-One-for-Sony/Sony-Express.aspx

It is a completely free application for Sony customers and an excellent RAW converter, based on of course our PRO version.

I will take you through the basic steps of adding images, adjusting and final export.

Hope to see you there.

David

Hi David,

A satisfied Capture One Pro 9 (For Sony) user here. :-) You really upped the game with this latest release in my opinion. It's really an amazing product with impressive image quality. 

Keep up the good work! 

Cheers,

Tarkan

Hey,

does somebody know if the new C1 got meanwhile more user-friendly GUI and can work with X-Rite Colorchecker Passport like LR does? I've tried Capture One 7 and was really fascinated by how much better it handles with Sony's RAW in comparision to LR. But the usability is really the pain point especially if you used to LR for many many years.

thanks

Hey,

does somebody know if the new C1 got meanwhile more user-friendly GUI and can work with X-Rite Colorchecker Passport like LR does? I've tried Capture One 7 and was really fascinated by how much better it handles with Sony's RAW in comparision to LR. But the usability is really the pain point especially if you used to LR for many many years.

thanks

You have several ways to use the x-rite colorchecker (CC24) in C1.

The one that is most like the x-rite plugin, is a program called camprof. The installation is simple, the use too. The result is very close to the x-rite plugin. But maybe I'm wrong. I did not use x-rite-plugin nor camprof very much and it is some months away...

The better way is to profiling your camera for your favorite program (LR or C1) and only whitebalance after that. Why? When you shoot, the most time, you have several lightsources and a lot of reflected light. If you profile with the x-rite plugin, then it does a rough profile of the light situation, that is on the CC24. In a studio where you can control the light, this may work. But outside a studio a slight movement of the subject will give you a different light situation. Think about a landscape shot with a blue sky. If you whitebalance on a sunny part, all shadows will be blue (reflection of the blue sky). Actually you need two CC24 shots then. One in the sun and one in the shadow. The delivered program to the CC24 can handle two shots, so this would be better in such situations. But what happens when more lightsources (e.g. a sunset in a city with streetlamps, illuminated advertising and store windows) or reflections (a red car close to the subject or green light from leaves, your blue jacket in a close up...) become apparent? You can't put all different lightsources, reflections, mixtures or angles of light on one (or two) colorchecker shots.

But with a profile made under perfect conditions, you can simulate all that (If you are using special lightsources you may create a seperate profile).

To create a general profile for your camera, you can use dcamprof as the most "easy" way. You may do that with a CC24. After that, you only do whitebalance with the CC24. No need of the plugin in LR or the camprof in C1 anymore. The result is much more accurate, but you may have to be more careful with extreme colors. The generic profiles or those made with the plugin tend to compress the seperate color curves (R, G, B ) toward the bright end. So you can work more easily with them, but they may also give you slight color shifts then (e.g. cyan in the sky or orange peel skin).

All about dcamprof (open source and made by anders torger):

Forum: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=100015.0

(here you can find premade dcamprof-versions for mac or windows, but you have to be logged in to lula forum to download them. the subscription is not needed)

Program: http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~torger/dcamprof.html

Tutorial (with easy way sections for LR and C1): http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~torger/photography/camera-profiling.html

If you are using the A7RII you can find profiles made with dcamprof for LR and C1 in the forum too. It's not your camera, but also an A7RII. :)

there are other profiling programs like argyll cms. but i can't help you with them, because I never used them. dcamprof uses some parts of argyll cms.

the last option is to use profiling software like the one from x-rite. but that costs a lot of money.

You have several ways to use the x-rite colorchecker (CC24) in C1.

[...]

the last option is to use profiling software like the one from x-rite. but that costs a lot of money.

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. I will defenitely take a closer look at camprof and obviosly I do need more reading to the topic and to broaden my knowlege about profiling my camera. Till now I was absolutely happy with just several x-rite profiles, which, as far as I know, are not only about white-balance (for that you need only a grey-card actually) but mostly about the color constancy. I will anyway take a look at dcamprof and make more researches to the topic, thanks again for your tips!

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. I will defenitely take a closer look at camprof and obviosly I do need more reading to the topic and to broaden my knowlege about profiling my camera. Till now I was absolutely happy with just several x-rite profiles, which, as far as I know, are not only about white-balance (for that you need only a grey-card actually) but mostly about the color constancy. I will anyway take a look at dcamprof and make more researches to the topic, thanks again for your tips!

You're absolutely right about the CC24 and the use with it. the plugin does a rough but good profile for your situation. On the other hand, your camera shoots always the same. So, if you have a good profile, you only need to white balance each shot and not to profile every time.

I'm not seeing all the Sony e-mount lenses in the lens tab. Do you know if Capture One will be adding profiles for these lenses: SEL35F14Z and SEL35F14Z ?

Thanks

Hi Britin,

That doesn't actually mean they are not supported.  If you load up an image and see 'Manufacturer Profile' it means we use the RAW data present in the image for lens corrections.  It avoids us having to make a profile and very useful that Sony provides the information!

David

Hi David;

I've been having a lot of fun with Capture One Express 9 and love its RAW conversion and "tinkering" capabilities... I now have tried and succesfully managed in taking photos in more difficult low light environments, particularly at sunset. 

But I am still hoping its Digital Asset Management capabilities will someday meet Apple's Aperture fantastic features...

Cheers

Marc

what's people's workflow for importing images? I notice Capture One doesn't retain a notion of previously imported images, so I just have to select all the new images manually to import. I don't want to delete the images off the card every time I do an import, which I guess would be one way to handle it. I also notice that I can't use the mouse to select a whole bunch of images, so I go through and Command-click each one, then import that group. Doesn't seem very efficient....

Sent using Tapatalk