Sony Distagon T* FE 35mm f/1.4 OR Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8

Hi all!

Brand new member making my 1st post and asking for your opinion.  This past Xmas I decided to get me an A7RII with a Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4, I'm still on the learning phase and ready to move on with other lenses, my choices are: the Sony Distagon T* FE 35mm f/1.4 or the Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 - the idea is to use them for indoor photography with poor lighting conditions and maybe some landscape shots too.  

If you had to choose, which one would you go for first? 

Something to consider: these three lenses - 35 f1.4, 55 f1.8, and 85 f1.8 - each have drastically different size and weight characteristics that will impact the handling and total size of your kit. 35 is big and heavy, 55 and 85 are about the same weight but the 55 is more compact. Can you lay hands on these lenses to see?

The 55 and 85 have unanimously outstanding reviews, though the 85 is not commonly available with serious backorder waits. 35 has some good and some negative reviews with some apparent concerns about quality control.

The 55 is an amazing lens - it excels in low light conditions. It would split the difference between two very different focal lengths you initially inquired about. There is a good reason that photography classes direct new shooters to fast aperture normal focal length lenses like it. Of course, this is very expensive for a normal lens, but it is worth the coin.

Based on your shooting needs, I would take 35 f1.4. I have batis 25 and 85 plus fe55 f1.8 and I still want 35mmf1.4. I rented this lens before, It is amazing. I would say it's slightly better than the batis line. It will blow your 24-70 out of water for sure.

I can easily recommend the 35/1.4 for your purposes. I just love that lens and quickly forget the size and weight when shooting with it. I just shoot everything with it. Its also an impressive landscape lens, unless I want that real wide angle look, then I take out my 16-35/4.

I also love the 55/1.8, it can work for many things as well. Can't say anything about the Batis lenses, I chose the 90/2.8 Macro and am impressed by it.

I have said this before but will state it again since you are new to the forum:  GET THE SONY 55MM F1.8!!!!!!!  If I could only own one lens (for whatever crazy reason), this would be the one to keep.  

I love the 85MM Batis.  It is great for portraits, but not so good at landscapes.  The 85 and 55 have the same f-stop and very similar image quality.  The problem with the 85 is that for a portrait, you need to be ten feet (3 meters) away from your subject.  This is hard in some inside setups.  But I still love it and have gotten some outstanding shots with it.  And the 55MM works in landscapes in a pinch.  

When I go on vacations, I plan to take only two lenses: Sony 35MM f2.8 and Sony 55MM f1.8.  This is a very light and small setup which will fit easily in my waist carry bag.  If I get the Batis 25MM, I will probably swap the Sony 35MM for the Batis 25MM.

START WITH THE SONY 55MM.  YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY.

Why not the excellent FE 28mm F2? Cheap, quite sharp and for indoors shooting I would surely prefer a wideangle compared to either 55mm or 85mm. The FE 55mm is great (have it myself). But I do think the 28mm is better for general indoor shooting.

I totally share your point of view. The F2 28mm F2 is very light, perfect for indoor shooting, and an excellent complement to the "you-must-definitely-have-it" FE 55mm F1.8.

When traveling, I take the FE 28mm and the FE 55mm at night time, for their wide aperture, and the FE 16-35mm + FE 24-240mm during day time, for their versatility.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey i had the same Problem in chosing the the "right" lens for my a7ii.

I do have a Samyang 50mm F 1.2 for E-mount APS-C Size lens which is completly Manual - but easy to use with focus peaking. (And by the way it has just a small amout of vignetting on the FF-Sensor

So i needed to chose the 35mm 1.4 FE...

From my oppinion this 35mm is the best lens i 've ever owned.

Awesome sharpnees even at F 1.4 ...

Here some sample images if you want:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131325350@N03/23810282484/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131325350@N03/23770873313/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131325350@N03/24070060019/

I hope this is helping you in your choise!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have a look at your photos - which focal length do you use most? Learn which focal lenght you prefer and then buy something faster then your zoom. I started with 85mm on crop sensor (-> 135mm)  for portrait.

For Indoor I would use the 35mm or maybe 28mm. When you want a to be less intrusive have a look after the 35/2,8 - for landscape you will stop down anyway.

But if you don't know what you want the 55mm is a great start. Or maybe adapt a legacy 50mm for getting the feeling of manual focus?