Sony A7r2 with Canon "L" glass

Hi all, New member to the forum here. I have a question regarding the a7r2. I recently disposed of my Canon 5dMk2 to get something lighter and full frame as arthritis in my left hand requires a lighter camera. Here's my dilemma. I held back from disposing of my Canon "L" lenses ( 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 f4) as my understanding is that they will work perfectly on the sony regarding autofocus. When I eventually purchase the Sony would I be better off if I sold off the Canon glass and invested in Sony glass - some of which doesn't exactly get stellar reviews for the cost/quality relationship or use the Canon lenses instead. I would be primarily using the 17-40 as landscape photography is my thing but would also use the 24-105 as walkaround. I should also mentioned that as I own a NEX 7 I already have two fully automatic adapters - a Fotodiox and a Viltrox.  Any advice would be welcome.

Using you Canon L lenses will be all manual with the adapters you mentioned (I believe).  I use the Metabones IV smart adapter on the A7 mk II with the Canon 70-200 f4 IS.  Very accurate focus and just as fast as the Canon 70D I used to own.  Until recently I owned the Canon 24-70 f2.8 L Mk II.  It also worked great on the A7 with Metabones IV adapter although just too heavy.  If your goal is to save weight, and I fully agree with that plan, the Metabones IV weighs 5 oz.  Not a big weight by itself, but with a heavy zoom like you Canon 70-200, you really notice it.  

I agree with Mr_A7S about the Sony FE55 f1.8 and Zeiss lenses (85mm and 25mm).  I already own the Sony 55 and Zeiss 85 and look to order the Batis 25 this week when I return home.  If I could only have one lens for my A7 Mk II it would be the Sony 55.  It is definitely my favorite.  I got it used on eBay for $800.  Best decision I ever made since converting to Sony mirrorless.

Good luck with your move to Sony mirrorless...you'll be glad you did.

Once you start adapting canon zooms you'll be back where you started from with weight. The sony 16-35 is a heavy beastie. The sony 70-200 is light enough for a quality zoom in that range. If you're doing mainly landscapes then a prime would be much lighter and much sharper. Pity the sony 24-70 sucks as it's a good compromise between f4 and size/weight.

I'll second what's been said in one case, you'll be right back where you started from a weight perspective. My 70-200 2.8 IS II actually feels heavier on my Sony than it did on my camera as it is an inch or two further out due to the metabones. Definitely a bigger strain on my wrist than it used to be. 

Many thanks for all your helpful comments. I am inclined to agree with the weight issue of zooms as against the smaller primes. The Sony body only would save me about 300 grams but if I use the Canons then I won't be gaining that much with regard to weight. Back to the drawing board I'm afraid!

I am currently dealing with a weight training related injury in my left arm, which supports the lens on the long zooms. I pretty much have to shoot it mounted to a tripod if I'm using it for any significant period whatsoever. 

Many thanks for all your helpful comments. I am inclined to agree with the weight issue of zooms as against the smaller primes. The Sony body only would save me about 300 grams but if I use the Canons then I won't be gaining that much with regard to weight. Back to the drawing board I'm afraid!

Based on the Canon lenses that you mentioned, I would definitely consider dumping them for native options.

1. I wouldn't fiddle with the cheaper adapters as I have already personally had not so good experiences with them. Metabones....

2. The cheaper adapters don't let you update firmware. Bodies get firmware updates and new lenses come out regularly all of which need to marry well. Without firmware update ability, you may be stuck with a paperweight at some point with the cheaper models.

3. Flocking on the Metabones is also integral to performance which most of the cheaper ones don't have.

4. As Mr. A7s mentioned, those are all middle of the way and older Canon lenses. To exploit the resolution of the Sony, you'll need more recent and more top shelf stuff optically if you are going to adapt.

5. I would personally prefer to have the FE 24-240 over the Canon 24-105. Also, if you are going to adapt, I would consider swapping out the 17-40 for the Tamron 15-30/2.8.

6. Not all EF lenses will adapt the same. Every single EF lens I have adapted so far has performed from poor to pretty damn good. But all had bugs or glitches at one point or another so it is not perfect regardless of the lens.

7. IBIS is limited to less stops of stabilization when adapting vs. using native FE glass. With the lenses that already have IS, it is generally recommended that you turn it off and go with the IBIS. However, I've done it both ways and have had good success. But still something you should keep in mind as not all lenses are equal.

8. I have to agree with you regarding price point to performance/spec ratio with the FE lineup. This is why the only FE lens I have is the 28/2 since it is decent while being very compact.

9. With the Sony body, if you're going to adapt, do so because you either have to (since you already own the lenses and cannot spend more to swap out), or because Sony doesn't offer anything close natively to what you want.

John Dizzo makes some great points.  Using adapted lenses is a nice feature, but to get the full capabilities of the A7 system, you need native Sony/Zeiss lenses.  Only go the adapter route when forced.  That will make some members of this forum mad, but from my experience, it is correct.  As for the firmware update feature, it is huge to be able to update firmware with the Metabones adapter.  They have done an excellent job of keeping their adapters current every time Sony makes a change/improvement.  My Sigma Art and Canon L lenses both work very well with the Metabones IV adapter.  Probably as well as they did on the Canon 70D (although hard to verify since I sold it prior to the firmware updates).  And Sony is doing an excellent job of keeping all their cameras as feature-rich as possible.  Older models are updated with firmware fairly quickly after the newer models are updated.

I recently made a decision to not own zooms, and I am happy with the move.  I did keep one zoom since Sony does not have a suitable substitute.  The primes are generally lighter, faster and better IQ.  Yes I have to move around more to get the shot I want, but I'm enjoying it more.  I do lose a few shots when I chase the grand baby around on the floor to get in position.  I got this one while he was asleep:

A7 Mk II body with Zeiss 85 MM Batis, HVL 43 for fill flash

1/250, f2.8, ISO 100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!