Voigtländer 40mm Nokton f1.4

Guest all8

On an A7II.

Vignette is very strong at f1.4 and gets progressively less as stopped down.

Its not a very sharp lens but by around f4-f5.6 its reasonably sharp from edge to edge. The Bokeh is unique and challenging (I have a headache from looking over the pictures) - sometimes it works well, the photos here are OK, but it can get swirly which is not always nice.

Focus is difficult. 3 factors at play; narrow DOF, not very sharp and stiffer movement (when compared to a Leica Elmarit for instance). But you can focus it, just takes a little longer than 2 seconds.

I don't really care for how it looks on the camera, however the weighting when attached is perfect.

This Lens was purchased this lens for a Minolta CLE (which has 40mm frame lines). Normally I would use it between f4 and f8 and its great at that point, and sometimes around f2 (but not often as it is difficult to focus and the Bokeh is not always desired). Its OK but you have to consider its limitations.

Hi!

Thank you for tests! Have you ever compared the Voigtländer with the Leica or Minolta 40mm f2 original lenses for the Minolta CLE. Do the perform better concerning to sharpness and vignetting?

I am currently thinking of buying a sony alpha 7 camera and the Voigtländer 40mm. But maybe I should go for the leica/Minolta lens?

best regards

Robert

Hi,

I did look at those lenses too, and from what I understand it is a bit sharper at wider apertures, and significantly smaller. However, they are also 30 years old. The vignetting is easily corrected so its not really a deciding factor - and if it is a factor then IMO consider a Loxia lens.

The Voigtländer is a challenge at wider apertures, some shots will not work, but others will. So its a lens that can be fun, the Leica lens, perhaps a little boring. This is wide open on film, IIRC, and it gives some idea of what this lens can do.

I'm waiting for the Loxia 50mm ...

• 2 months later...
Guest all8

Just as a side note, I ran a few rolls of film through my Minolta CLE with this lens, mostly f4 or above, and the results are much better than on digital. I think the film is a little more forgiving of the lens charactersitics.

(Apologies - just realised I replied to the wrong thread - there doesn't seem to be a delete option)

Taken with a Contax G 90 at a local park.

Not sure what the bug is. Any ideas?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!