A7s video settings

Vince_Lux

I'm new to video, but I would like to use my A7s it in cases where I think still pictures just will not do (super low light, far away subjects in movement).

So I was trying to prepare a set-up which makes me ready when the opportunity arrises.

1) It takes some effort to find that SLOG-2 in Sony A7s is PP7, needs post processing (did not find any free way to do grading yet) and has more noise then Cine4 in low light.

2) Cine4 does not really loose dynamic range compared to SLOG-2, with the less noice in low light, it seems great for my usage.

3) It takes a lot of effort to find that Cine4 in the Sony A7s is PP6 (Cine2) adapted. However I did not find the effect of the other settings. I copied the settings of someone off the internet and might test with tweeking that a little further.

I believe the XAVC-S codec is the most efficient in space on the memory card, but requires a card of 64GB of class 10, 50KB/S or faster.

At the moment I'm using 100p, to get slow motion. however no clue how to use that clever in post processing. That a 100p automatically puts you in APS-C mode is not an issue for me.

Any video advice or experience with A7s is welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In FCX to use slow motion you would add the clip to the project timeline at which point it conforms to the settings of the project (ie your 100fps would now appear as, say, 24fps). To get the slomo, click "Automatic speed" (in the menu which looks like a speedometer). Voila!

I use pp7 at base ISO (3200) but switch to pp6 if I increase the ISO. But I do need to try the rest too (laziness gets in the way).

I find FCX fine for my very limited knowledge of colour science and ability to grade - I do have Resolve but (probably a good thing) my Mac won't run it.

I agree that the Bloom seminar is definitely worth watching.

Tim

• 1 month later...

In FCX to use slow motion you would add the clip to the project timeline at which point it conforms to the settings of the project (ie your 100fps would now appear as, say, 24fps). To get the slomo, click "Automatic speed" (in the menu which looks like a speedometer). Voila!

I use pp7 at base ISO (3200) but switch to pp6 if I increase the ISO. But I do need to try the rest too (laziness gets in the way).

I find FCX fine for my very limited knowledge of colour science and ability to grade - I do have Resolve but (probably a good thing) my Mac won't run it.

I agree that the Bloom seminar is definitely worth watching.

Tim

I am just getting started with S-Log2 and ask of Your experience with ND filters to be able to operate with wide-open and shallow depth of field. I am getting a filter that brings it down 10 f stops. Any experiences with shooting iso 3200 in bright sunshine? her is a test I did on S-Log2 https://youtu.be/7KiIcEA3wCY

Do you have any thoughts on what PP to use when shooting in low light at high ISO (ie >12,000).

Although slog2 has a base level of 3200 (A7s - A7ii 1600) I read somewhere that one shouldn't really increase this. Perhaps I misread that or possibly the source was erroneous?

One of the "problems" I'm having with a camera that has so many user settings and customisation is that it can be a struggle to know the most appropriate!

Thank you for the link to Resolve tutorial.

Tim

i use slog2 now most of the time because it gives you the best details when you are color grading it

problem with slog2  on a7II: its high iso setting brings noise into your video, so i wouldn´t change the iso even higher (maybe sony will let us change a lower iso setting some day in fw update)

you can see the noise on a pc monitor, on other devices like a big hd tv the footage looks great though

if you want to to use high iso theres no other camera then a7s that will let you record video with ittle noise

solution: you could try something else than slog2 where you can keep the iso low, there are so many settings in the picture profile i´m still testing and trying things out

picture profile 5, with cinema setting, color -3 and detail to -7, worked quite good for me outside, that was the first picture profile i tested

you can find my testresults so far on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiTupTj11iyk_Baxt29EsQQ/videos

My conclusion so far for video on a7II:

the xavcs codec with 50mbit is really nice, but you can push it very easy to its limits when you are colorgrading

Moire can be a big issue also, even with zeiss lenses

it looks very good on a HD TV but if you want to use it for web, youtube, ultra hd tvs... then better get a 4k camera like the gh4, nx1, or lx100 or wait what sony will bring with 4k and better codecs

About S-LOG2: Noise is not an issue if you overexpose by 1-2 stops. Just dont overexpose much more than that or you wont be able to recover clipped highlights. The shadows will then be pretty clean.

Always check the exposure indicator. With a variable ND its pretty easy. I only shoot in PP7 since I figured out how to expose and grade (I use FCPX which natively supports XAVC-S).

I agree with comments that PP7 slog2 is the best to use when conditions permit. And ETTR (if not a little beyond). I use FCX (my Mac struggles with Resolve - possibly a good thing given its steep initial learning curve) with Redgiant and there's sufficient flexibility to play.

But my issue is when conditions are less than optimal. If light levels require an ISO of 25k (at max aperture and, say, 1/25th at 25fps so no flexibility there) is slog7 still the best choice?

I will run some sort of non-scientific test to see whether I can spot any significant differences.

Tim