A7rii Crop mode ISO comparison

pablowong

I wanted to share the comparison I made between the A7rii Aps-c mode (18Mp) and the Nikon D7000 and Nex 6 (Both 16 Mp). 
I set them in a tripod with the exact same settings: Raw in AdobeRGB, NR Off, DRO Off, WB 2600K, and none of the images have any editing in Ligthroom (aside from a little temperature change in the D7K pictures to match the Sonys). 

I used a Nikkor 50mm f1,8D  @ f5,6, ISO 100, 0.8s exposure time.

I wanted to find out just how good was the crop mode in the A7rii,

what do you guys think?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Peter Kelly

I think the 51200 on the A7Rii looks about the same as the 12800 on the other cameras. In my very basic tests, it also matches the A7S when resized to match from RAW.

Ultimately, it is a fantastic option, even if it does require an extra processing step, which gives it an advantage as the other cameras cannot go the other way in providing higher resolution.

I loved using the A7S, as it frees you up from worrying about noise, but the A7Rii is a whole new ball game. Other than video (full frame and slo-mo) I find it hard to see any argument to prefer the A7Sii, or any other camera for that matter, over the A7Rii.

well... Color -- I like A7RII , not much different 

If you look closely at the image you might find a cleaner image in the files of the A7rii, take a look for example at the 6400 file of the D7000 and compare it to that of the A7rii at 12800. I would say they look pretty similar meaning the A7rii might have around 1 stop better low light performance than the D7000 even in crop mode and with a little more resolution wich is remarkable

You sure made an effort here. But actually I don't see why you used the APS-C mode. That mode should deliver exactly the same quality as full frame mode because the image is not downsized; the camera just uses only a part of the sensor. Had you taken the images in full frame mode and then downsized them image noise would be much lower.

I don't see why you used the APS-C mode.

The reason is that there are times when I actually use the APS-C mode. Even though I would normally shoot in FF mode and crop in post, sometiimes it's actually usefull to shoot in crop mode right away, for instance doing macro photography when the depth of field is way to shallow, the focus magnifier is not an option if your subject is constantly moving, and then it's easier just to have your subject bigger in the screen to compose and focus more accurately.

The reason is that there are times when I actually use the APS-C mode. Even though I would normally shoot in FF mode and crop in post, sometiimes it's actually usefull to shoot in crop mode right away, for instance doing macro photography when the depth of field is way to shallow, the focus magnifier is not an option if your subject is constantly moving, and then it's easier just to have your subject bigger in the screen to compose and focus more accurately.

Yes, I get that. But IMO it's unrewarding to compare the image quality this way. As I said image quality is the same.  Had you compared AF coverage or speed it'd make more sense.