Minolta MC/MD lenses images thread

Phillip Reeve

The MD 17mm f/4 - the unsightly vignetting is caused by the (to large) frame of a polarizing filter. Without this PF, it does not occur. The green internal reflection from the sensor can be observed right below the white live saver ring on the right. To get rid of this might be a nice challenge for future versions of Sony´s sensors.

First-time poster here... Just before a vacation on Sanibel Island, Florida, I decided to buy some inexpensive primes so I could play around with them (I've never shot with a prime and wanted to see what all the fuss was about), and because I hoped that one might give me better high-magnification views for the birds than my Canon EF 75-300 delivers at 300mm.  I'm using an A7II.  I happened upon a Craigslist Minolta SRT 101 with four MC/MD lenses, a 2x teleconverter, and several filters a week before the vacation and sprung for the $180.  It took a lot of practice to manually-focus on flying birds, but toward the end of the vacation I think I'd gotten the hang of it.  As a sampling of photos, I've attached a brown pelican in flight taken with the Rokkor QF 200mm, an Anhinga drying his wings in the sun taken with the 200mm with the 2x tele-extender, and a flowering bush on the beach taken with the Rokkor PG 50mm.  More photos from this vacation are on http://jeffbondono.com/Sanibel and on flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/130048903@N08. Suggestions for improvement are welcome. Also suggestions for posting would be appreciated; I just exported jpegs from lightroom at sizes the site would accept for attachments.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Cheers,

Jeff

Minolta MD Macro 4/100mm - Nex 5N

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I *LOVE* my Minolta lenses, which have gotten heavy use on my NEX-5 and A6000.  My favorite low light option at the moment is actually an MD 50/1.7 with a Lens Turbo II (speed booster)... getting great results with that combo!

The macro shot is with a MACRO-Rokkor 50/3.5, the others are with my favorite landscape lens, an MD 24/2.8.

13726994054_040ee58134_c.jpg

"Autumn Calm" - Yosemite Valley, CA.  NEX-5, Minolta MD 24/2.8, F11, 1/80sec, ISO200

13765858093_c3a538573d_c.jpg

"Starry Capitan" - Yosemite Valley, CA.  NEX-5, Minolta MD 24/2.8, f2.8, 20sec, ISO400.

13744519715_8b4cfd0e6b_c.jpg

"Rainy Day Roses" - NEX-5, Minolta MACRO Rokker 50/3.5, f11, 1/10sec, ISO400.

13746153463_a5c3c01f5f_c.jpg
"Dock of the Rock" - Morro Bay, CA.  NEX-5, Minolta MD 24/2.8, f8, 10sec, ISO200.

I chose to focus on two lenses that mean something to me personally.

Given that I've used Minolta glass practically since I was maybe 3 yeas old, because my father camera was a gorgeous SRT-101 (still going strong, by the way), the first lens I want to show it's the SRT-101 "kit lens" 55/1.7 PF MC, 52mm filter version. This is a lens that definitely set the bar quite high for my photographic taste...I used to shoot Ektachrome 64 with it (one roll of 36 exposures costed the amount of my entire allowance for a week) and projecting the slides almost 2 meters wide.

_MG_3968.jpg

Canon Eos 5D Mark II, Stella on a path along the "Strada delle Vette", Sila forest, Italy

The second one is the Minolta 28-70/3.5-4.5 MD that came instead with the first camera I bought with my own money, an X-300s (p.s.: it's mist, not noise):

Sila%20varie%20152_edited.jpg

Minolta X-300s, dawn at Lake Arvo, Lorica, Italy

Cheers, 

I chose to focus on two lenses that mean something to me personally.

Given that I've used Minolta glass practically since I was maybe 3 yeas old, because my father camera was a gorgeous SRT-101 (still going strong, by the way), the first lens I want to show it's the SRT-101 "kit lens" 55/1.7 PF MC, 52mm filter version. This is a lens that definitely set the bar quite high for my photographic taste...I used to shoot Ektachrome 64 with it (one roll of 36 exposures costed the amount of my entire allowance for a week) and projecting the slides almost 2 meters wide.

Canon Eos 5D Mark II, Stella on a path along the "Strada delle Vette", Sila forest, Italy

That 55 is a nice character lens:

8963303974_f06598d7a0_o.jpg

8962107257_ace43ab172_o.jpg

13851809584_e55300706f_o.jpg

14145651739_185d42ec22_o.jpg

That 55 is a nice character lens:

Yes, and IMHO it has a much nicer and smoother bokeh compared to the 1.4 version.

Besides, I have the 50/1.7 MD version as well (49mm filter ring) and I've found that, at least with my samples, the MD especially at full aperture is much sharper at close distance (up to 2-3 meters), while the MC becomes way sharper than the MD over that distance right up to infinity.

So I basically take the MD if I'm shooting inside (low light, portraits, events) and the MC for landscapes.

Yes, and IMHO it has a much nicer and smoother bokeh compared to the 1.4 version.

Besides, I have the 50/1.7 MD version as well (49mm filter ring) and I've found that, at least with my samples, the MD especially at full aperture is much sharper at close distance (up to 2-3 meters), while the MC becomes way sharper than the MD over that distance right up to infinity.

So I basically take the MD if I'm shooting inside (low light, portraits, events) and the MC for landscapes.

Why not try it first for yourself? These little puppies usually go for maybe 10€, 15€ if the seller is throwing a camera with them!

Jeez...if I think I had to save to buy my X300s and now they cost, literally, the price of an espresso. Well, I guess better for us, we now get to buy more toys for less money     :lol:  

also if anybody knows somebody or sees a Minolta 135mm f/2.0 somewhere ... i really want to get my hands on one  / want to buy one ... let me know .... thanks! :)

Minolta 135mm f2 #1001834 ...... W/Caps 

"Just" $1.400,00 (but he accepts offers), based in L.A.

Honestly, at that price I'd rather buy a Canon EF 135/2, new, for half the money (unless you plan to use it on a Minolta camera, of course)

holy moly ... yeah at that price i'd go of for the new Canon EF 135mm F2 as well ;) thanks for the info tho' 

If you want a nice alternative, btw, I've seen quite nice results with the 135/2 Canon FD (never owned one, though).

It does have quite a bit of ca at high-contrast transitions, but also smooth bokeh, it is quite sharp and has really pleasing colors.

The good thing is that is less rare, or at least less coveted by collectors, so I've seen it go as low as 250€, maybe even lower.

If you want a nice alternative, btw, I've seen quite nice results with the 135/2 Canon FD (never owned one, though).

It does have quite a bit of ca at high-contrast transitions, but also smooth bokeh, it is quite sharp and has really pleasing colors.

The good thing is that is less rare, or at least less coveted by collectors, so I've seen it go as low as 250€, maybe even lower.

well i have and like the Soligor/Tokina 135mm F2.0 (https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7Xd6Ty) ... but there is something about those old minolta lenses ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

I recently compared the Minolta MD 135/2 quickly and rudimentarily to the Sony 70-200 f4 G zoom lens. Admittedly unfair to compare a prime lens and a reasonably priced zoom      -      but still     -     it is interesting, as there are 40 years of progress in optical science (?) between the two.

I posted it on a different thread here on this forum: http://www.sonyalphaforum.com/topic/393-sony-70-200g-f4-compared-to-leica-90mm-f28/?p=2643

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

I just published a Review of the Minolta MD 2/85 it might be of interest for some of you.

You basically read my mind...today I found one semi-locally (a couple hours drive) and I was wondering if it might be a better buy than the 100/2.5 (that I still have not been able to find at a decent price). What to say: thanks!

Awesome images gentlemen, thanks for sharing.

The vintage look makes me wanna play with my Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai-S from the early 80's again, my main lens on the D3s many moons ago and the one Nikkor I've kept when leaving the Nikon platform for the a7R and now the a7S.