Proposal for A7r III

From my point of view it would be helpful to have a joystick button at the place where now the AF/MF button is.

For me this would be the right place where my thumb sits. I could use it to move the autofocus point, scrolling through pictures,....

What do you think?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

How about letting me use Eye Af with Canon Lenses? I myself would be happy to pay for a "unlock" of several hundred dollars to get this feature. 

but yes... I do want a toggle like that... I think i would want it on the FN button also as I use the AF/AEL button for, well, AF :P but I could adapt to its location assuming it isn't to unreasonable. 

the switch is on AF/MF my backbutton fokus and on AEL it is eye focus.

but maybe the joystick where the FN button is? and the FN button to the play and C4 buttons. three in a row could work.

Why not make the thumb-stick programmable like every other button? You have 4 directional movements (same as existing "navigation dial"), single click and double click - each can be programmed one way or the other.

I would use it to move the AF/MF selection box, single click to toggle MF/AF and double click to change/select AF mode. Would work much nicer with my Leather case which covers the "nav dial" which is a nuisance. Make the body more durable/robust and I would not need the leather case ...

How about Sony just works on the software/firmware. The electronics are all there, the menu system is confusing, redundant, and requires too much button pushing. The a7II didn't thrill me (I'm hoping version 2 helps. The a7RII has been pretty cool, serious improvement: it won't replace my Canon's for most serious work yet, but it may be great when I want to carry less weight. I just bought the damn thing, am reading manuals and books like a fiend, and will not be happy if an a7IIIr comes along any time soon.

Right now, I'd say the camera errs on the side of too many options, modes and options. They get in the way of serious shooting.

I like the idea of the joystick, but I would love a more individual approach:

You can set up to 10 focuspoints wherever I want and decide in which order they are. When I turn the wheel (or push a button), it switches to the next focuspoint (and uses the current focuspoint size).

Simple, very usefull, not that old clumsy little joystick and updatable with a firmware update.

and the joystick is supposed to do what exactly? Ever seen the complaints from those Canon users that have lost the joystick aka it fell off? I think its fine as is, for those Canon users.... well just tell Canon to come up with a great FF mirrorless body..... haven't seen one or prototype yet.....  JMO

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the worst point in the a7 body is the usability in fast operation like select the point of focus.

A joystick will be great, but I need it on my 2 camera now!

So....why Sony don't male a fw upgrade ad leave to user the decision to use the 4 direction wheel, as a possibility, directly as moving focus point (as pro camera); no button before..just move.

And, if you need to use ad normal pad (iso, shoting mode, disp...) you can before click on a fn button!

Please make it!!!

Please make it!!!

Please make it!!!

Please make it!!!

For their next body, I would love to see an LCD panel on top that tells me what the camera settings are, (so I don't have to turn it on and wait to find out what mode I'm in, and what shutter speed, f stop and ISO) Also, it would be great to have a locking switch that would freeze the shutter, f stop, and other settings. I can't tell you how many times I'll be shooting and then notice (too late) that I've touched a button or dial, inadvertently changing a setting. Most pro cameras have both these features.

• 5 weeks later...

Please please please can we get a universal hot shoe or alternatively something that will allow me to use HSS with my third party lighting (Elinchrom, Bowens and Profoto). Flash guns just aren't powerful enough for my purposes, they don't facilitate the light shaping options I want to use.

The A7Rii is the absolute bees knees, it's my first Sony camera and also my favourite camera I gave ever owned but I just don't know if I can continue to shoot Sony without proper HSS options, I like to use fill lights in almost everything I do and to work beneath 1/250 is a pain in the arse for me.

PLEEEEAAASE SONY PLEEEEAAASSSEEE!

Many good ideas and suggestions, but before I spend my €€€ on a new body I would like to see Sony showing some love for current users of the very expensive A7r2 and improved with firmware, namely: free Wi-Fi from playmemories App, make buttons fully configurable, organize menus, allow zoom on playback without having to first zoom all the way to pixel level, Flash AF assist, etc. etc.

I will not buy a new body every year to get some of these features.

All of the above suggestions have real merit.

You are all keen to see the next update in the A7r series as soon as possible.

Can you spare a prayer for the many Sony users clinging on to their old alpha mount body and lenses in the hope that the new A99 mk2 will come out soon. It seems to be suffering from delay after delay after delay. :(

Please please please can we get a universal hot shoe or alternatively something that will allow me to use HSS with my third party lighting (Elinchrom, Bowens and Profoto). Flash guns just aren't powerful enough for my purposes, they don't facilitate the light shaping options I want to use.

The A7Rii is the absolute bees knees, it's my first Sony camera and also my favourite camera I gave ever owned but I just don't know if I can continue to shoot Sony without proper HSS options, I like to use fill lights in almost everything I do and to work beneath 1/250 is a pain in the arse for me.

PLEEEEAAASE SONY PLEEEEAAASSSEEE!

I would echo these remarks. The A7R2 is a wonderful camera - the best at it's price (and more besides) but it is very limited relative to the use of flash. It is the only major thing I can fault it on, so SONY - - - P L E A S E  LISTEN !