Alpha-7 II and iOS remote control

simonog

I have just bought an Alpha-7 Mk 2.  I would like to be able to do simple remote control (take a photo) from my iPhone 6.

Even though I have installed Play Memories on the iPhone, I can see no way to connect to the camera.

Does anyone know if this is possible (the documentation suggested that it is).

thank you .

I don't have iphone just Android tablet and A7 but I expect that it is the same. You need to install smart remote control app on the camera and establish a link between the tablet (phone) and camera. This is easy and menu driven. After that it is just a matter of running the app on the camera (in Applications list menu) and Playmemories on the tablet.

I use it quite a lot, it's a bit slow but pretty functional. If you are using A mount lenses through the LEA4 adapter you lose tap to focus function, it's better with native FE lenses.

Thank you.  I have discovered the error which was a misunderstanding of mine: I had installed Play Memories, and one has to install Play Memories Mobile to get the remote control functions.

They then work well.  As you say, not lightning quick but not too bad either.

• 2 months later...

I to fumbled with the remote app. It is essential as I take pole photography for elevated real estate shots. Love not having to carry around another (potentially dead) battery operated device, such as Camranger, like I do with Nikon - not available for Sony. One of the biggest issues I found with the operation of the remote app was not linking to iPhone or iPad. Check setting and make sure wifi is to the signal broadcast by the camera, and not your home wifi or cable hotspots 'conveniently' all over town. The only negative I have is that I typically shoot in RAW, and despite the camera being set on RAW, the photos come back in .jpg. Not certain how or if can be overridden. Typically not a problem except with a house heavily shadowed due to trees or facing north, and jpg lacks the latitude to lighten the shadows. 

I to fumbled with the remote app. It is essential as I take pole photography for elevated real estate shots. Love not having to carry around another (potentially dead) battery operated device, such as Camranger, like I do with Nikon - not available for Sony. One of the biggest issues I found with the operation of the remote app was not linking to iPhone or iPad. Check setting and make sure wifi is to the signal broadcast by the camera, and not your home wifi or cable hotspots 'conveniently' all over town. The only negative I have is that I typically shoot in RAW, and despite the camera being set on RAW, the photos come back in .jpg. Not certain how or if can be overridden. Typically not a problem except with a house heavily shadowed due to trees or facing north, and jpg lacks the latitude to lighten the shadows. 

The iOS device will only get jpgs. However, the RAW files should be stored on your camera's memory card and can be imported into your computer from that card.

Just look at the SD card. All photos in ARW format but when going to the elevated shots, suddenly switches to jpg with no ARW "twin". Will have to play with it more. May be a set-up setting in the PlayMemories remote shutter app that overrides the camera setting and I need to change it. Unfortunately I can't do it right now as I sent the camera back, delaying my  transition from Nikon. With the rumored A7Rii in May, time is on my side to decide which one. In the meantime am acquiring native glass, and currently have the 24-70, 16-35 and 35 f2.8.

• 2 months later...

I've just been discussin this issue on another thread: http://www.sonyalphaforum.com/topic/1054-remote-control-and-capture-with-ipadandroid/?do=findComment&comment=6438

The app's settings seem to over-ride the camera's but you can set it to record RAW while using the remote app.  While the phone and camera are connected and ready to work remotely, press the camera's Menu button and the app's menu comes up instead of the camera's.  Under Quality you can select RAW+jpg.

• 2 months later...

@tizeye, you may have more success with an Android tablet than with an iPad or iPhone. I had similar problems running the PlayMemories app on iOS. I bought a relatively inexpensive Android tablet and found my connection problems went away. There is a thread about it here, on DPReview (sorry not on SonyAlphaForum...): http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3856783