Nikon user with a new Sony A7ii (Best, Cheap, Most Convenient Adapter)

hadyashraf

Dear All,

Just bought a new Sony A7ii with the kit lens (which is not so bad).

I wanna adapt my old Nikon Lenses with my A7ii instead of buying ziess's extremely expensive options

My lenses:

AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8G (Cropped Frame, i guess)

AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G (Full Frame, also a guess)

Questions:

1- What is the cheapest most usable adapter for these lenses? Im thinking the Fotodiox

2- Will these adapters be able to handle the heavy 70-300?

3- I know i will be controlling aperture manually with the ring, as well as, focusing manually also. Will I be able to use Focus Magnification and Peaking with no problems with these non-electronic adapters?

First the good news: both your lenses are full frame!

For the adapter you have two options:

- you can buy a Nikon G adapter for Canon EF plus a Canon EF to Sony adapter

NIKON G AF-S AI F LENS to CANON EOS EF Mount 7D 500D 450D 550D 1100D Adapter

Canon EOS Lens To Sony E-Mount Ring NEX-3 NEX-7 NEX-5N NEX-C3 NEX-VG10 Adapter

- you can buy one of the "normal" Nikon G > Sony adapters

K&f NIKON G NIKKOR AF-S DX LENS di Sony E Mount NEX Adattatore NEX-5 NEX-3 A7R A...

With the first option you have the ability to mount (on the Canon > Sony adapter) the legacy mount you prefer (I'd go for Contax glass: cheap and stunningly good) should you want to expand your lens collection and you will not have to carry several different mount lenses (obviously buying for each lens a suitable Canon EF adapter ring). If you go this road just buy two of the Nikon G to Canon adapters so you don't have to swap them every second.

Besides, with the first solution you have the option to buy in the future a more expensive Canon EF adapter with AF like the Commlite and a few Canon EF lenses should you need autofucus.

Now for the bad news: manual focus with Nikon AF glass is utterly terrible, they don't have a large enough focus trow and a dampened ring. If I were you, I'd sell the glass you have and buy legacy glass (and you will be probably left with a bit of spare money). Just to be clear the legacy glass I'm about to recommend it will be as sharp or sharper than the one you already have...just for less money.

If you want to stay with Nikon (you don't have to buy them all, I'm just giving you options):

24/2.8 (any version, 80€)

35/2 O (more or less 60€)

50/1.8 (any version, probably 50€)

100/2.5 (100/150€)

100/2.8 E series (80?)

70-150 E series (50€?)

300/4.5 Ai ED (170€?)

But I'd go for Contax Zeiss glass if you can spare the cash (many of these leave even Canon L lenses and Sony Zeiss lenses in the dust):

28/2.8 (around 200€)

28-85 (around 300/350€)

50/1.7 (80/100€)

135/2.8 (around 120€)

80-200 (around 200€)

100-300 (if you can find one, around 600/700€)

300/4 (around 250€)

And now to answer your questions:

1) read above

2) yes, I use one of these for Contax glass up to 1Kg with no problems (but for lenses this heavy you should use a tripod collar for your lens anyway)

3) yes, focus magnification and peaking will work with no problems (but peaking, IMHO, is useless because it is rarely spot on even at its lowest setting)

Bonus point ;)

Instead of using peaking, that like I said is unreliable, try to do the following (shooting in raw):

- use the Vivid picture style, bumping up both contrast and sharpness to the max (+3)

- at this point you will notice looking through the viewfinder that when something is in focus that area will start to "shimmer / showing moire (for lack of a better term)"

This is way more precise than peaking, and IMHO even easier to see because it will not cover the entire viewfinder with red/yellow "dust"

• 6 months later...

Dear All,

Just bought a new Sony A7ii with the kit lens (which is not so bad).

I wanna adapt my old Nikon Lenses with my A7ii instead of buying ziess's extremely expensive options

My lenses:

AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8G (Cropped Frame, i guess)

AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G (Full Frame, also a guess)

Questions:

1- What is the cheapest most usable adapter for these lenses? Im thinking the Fotodiox

2- Will these adapters be able to handle the heavy 70-300?

3- I know i will be controlling aperture manually with the ring, as well as, focusing manually also. Will I be able to use Focus Magnification and Peaking with no problems with these non-electronic adapters?

I just got the Vello adapter from B and H.   Good news is my Nikon 85 f1.8 works pretty good, bad news, the Nikon 70-300 will not auto focus.   It hunts for the focus but cannot lock on.   I would pass on this converter.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the Vello adapter from B and H.   Good news is my Nikon 85 f1.8 works pretty good, bad news, the Nikon 70-300 will not auto focus.   It hunts for the focus but cannot lock on.   I would pass on this converter.

BTW, both of your lenses are full-frame.   But, as I said, the Vello will not auto focus Nikon zooms.