Two good cheap lenses - manual and Af - Zeiss and Canon

Dick Sweeney

Just a quick note to say a couple of small stand out performers - are the 45 mm 2.8 Contax Zeiss - pancake. This is my first of my CY Lenses I bought as it was the cheapest - and its a little beauty - dont be put off by its size.  I just tested all my CY lenses the other day - and this one came up good for every aperture - 2.8 was slightly softer than the others - but beyond that - it was sharp as a tack across the board. Its alos a great lens for whacking or free lensing - dues to its size. Its so easy to handle due to its diminutive dimensions - really worth a look and quite inexpensive !

The other which is awesome !!! ( when it works ) is the Canon 40mm 2.8 Pancake - this has AF - again - sharp as - and cheap as chips - I think i paid AUD150 delivered brand new - i use it with the Metabones lates Canon EF adaptor - BUT it sometimes fails for the AF to work - so... maybe some one else will have a bit better luck with it - im going to see if i can get to the bottom of it - as its great and makes me happy that the quality is high and at a great price !

A couple from the Canon - on teh A7Rii - when the Af worked ! I didnt know this person a random just coming and going in front of me.......

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yeah - you can use the Canon in manual - but its a bit weird as its fly by wire - no hard infinity etc - but its workable

But - if you were going manual - id go the contax zeiss

and if you were going AF - i'd go the Canon - im still yet though to get it perfect - its on and off the AF with the adaptor - i should try and update the firmware on it and see if it improves. FYI the two shots above were with the Canon when the AF worked !

Just worked out - why the AF was playing up - I was putting the lens on the A7Sii and expecting the full speed that i was getting off the Rii - I must say I have the metabones adaptor - EF to E T - and just checked it agin on the Rii and the AF of the little CAnon pancake lens is good and quick !