α7S II Aliasing/Moire

seedubb

I've been using my α7S II for a few weeks now, and on a few different property shoots I've noticed some aliasing/moire.

I've only shot externally at 50p, so need to run some test shots at 25/100p to see if it's specific to 50p.

Has anyone else had any issues with moire on exteriors of buildings or elsewhere, or is there any known issues with the α7S II?

Cheers!

Guest Peter Kelly

The likelihood of moire is generally greatly reduced with the A7Sii, but owing to the nature of digital there's no avoiding it completely. It simply depends upon the spatial frequency of the subject.

I don't know if the 50p will contribute, but I suspect it will mostly depend upon your output. If you are downsizing for a different format it could introduce moire.

Again, I'm not a video expert, but have you tried on different displays? It could be an effect of a different resolution and may not be visible on a TV, as opposed to a monitor.

You get something similar when viewing stills in Photoshop, for example. As you zoom in you can get moire appearing and disappearing as the image is resampled for the display, but it doesn't strictly exist in the file.

I assume that 1050P100 is the same.

I got really bad moire at 1080P120 in low light at ISO 6400

Completely unusable Video at the necessary  ISO 8000

Problem is the 2.2 crop of the Sensor.

I sent mine back and kept my A7s