Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 mounted a the a7R

The Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 calls me.  The reviews are impressive.  I plan to buy the 85/1.4 for my Sony a7R (and maybe eventually use it on the a9).

But before I buy a 85/1.4 for my a7R, I rented the Zeiss's Canon EF mount with a Metabones IV and the Nikon F mount with a new Novoflex adapter.

The Metabones IV was junk.  Both connections between the EF mount and the Sony E mount were loose.  I was unable to control the aperture with a dial on my a7R.  Without aperture control I was forced to shoot with the aperture stopped down fully to f/16.  My four-day rental was a bust.

I rented the Canon EF mount before the Nikon F mount because I hoped to have electronic control of the aperture and aperture data with my EXIF data.  Despite a failure with the Metabones IV, the Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 looked great at f/16.

In response to my written complaint after I returned the rented gear the lens rental company told me the Metabones IV was 30 days old when shipped to me.

At the start of the rental period, when I saw the problem with no aperture control, I e-mailed the rental company's support staff.  A candid conversation with one service tech revealed that 5 out of 30 Metabones IV adapters malfunction when he checks each adapter for quality control.  I was left wondering why the rental company didn't test the 85/1.4 with the Metabones IV on a Sony a7R before shipping to me for my four-day rental period.  When I submitted my rental order, I specified that I intended to mount the 85/1.4 on a Sony a7R.

Next I rented Zeiss's ZF.2 mount with a Novoflex adapter.  I spent $292 with B&H for a new Novoflex adapter.  It arrived last week.  The rented Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 ZF.2 arrived today.  I can report the fit between the ZF.2 mount, the Novoflex adapter, and my Sony E mount are tight as a rock.  (I use adapters with my Olympus 4/3 and m4/3 kit, and Olympus makes quality adapters and magnifying lenses.)

My preliminary shots with natural light,  inside the house at night, stopped open to f/1.4 are great.  Everyone should have a lens as good as the Zeiss Otus 85/1.4. I know that I'll own the 85/1.4 soon.

Now, if Sony would offer five-axis stabilization with non-native lenses in a new a7R II or a9 . . .

You're wasting your time.  Putting an Otus on a Sony mirrorless is like putting a Ferrari engine in a Yugo.  Sony's sensor glass causes astigmatism and the 11+7 color bit algorithm robs you of all of the things you paid $4500 for.  You're right about the Novoflex adaptors though.  They're the best and they actually do something nice for the lens mount when used with the ASTAT/NEX unit in releiving stress from the camera (especially inportant with these heavy lenses.   

After wasting a year on the A7r I switched to Nikon's D810 and it only took a week or two to really get a strong feel for the camera.  The Sony's can't approach the resolution, color depth and accuracy of Nikon.  Sure the Sonys are easy to use but they are far from professional results.  Any semi-trained eye can tell you.   

It only took 1 comparison shot of a Sony A7r file and a Nikon D810 file for me to call in an order for the D810. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sony a7R with Zeiss Otus 85/1.4

You're wasting your time.  Putting an Otus on a Sony mirrorless is like putting a Ferrari engine in a Yugo.  Sony's sensor glass causes astigmatism and the 11+7 color bit algorithm robs you of all of the things you paid $4500 for.  You're right about the Novoflex adaptors though.  They're the best and they actually do something nice for the lens mount when used with the ASTAT/NEX unit in releiving stress from the camera (especially inportant with these heavy lenses.   

After wasting a year on the A7r I switched to Nikon's D810 and it only took a week or two to really get a strong feel for the camera.  The Sony's can't approach the resolution, color depth and accuracy of Nikon.  Sure the Sonys are easy to use but they are far from professional results.  Any semi-trained eye can tell you.   

It only took 1 comparison shot of a Sony A7r file and a Nikon D810 file for me to call in an order for the D810. 

A Nikon troll, how droll. We are flattered you made an account just for this. Do you have any pictures? You guys are almost always forum spammers, and seldom photographers.

Why did you waste time on the A7r at all when the D800/800 E were available for sometime before the A7r?

I do agree that I would never want to be caught dead with a bazooka like the Otus 85 mounted on an A7r with any adapter.

I do agree that I would never want to be caught dead with a bazooka like the Otus 85 mounted on an A7r with any adapter.

I have always been amused by this attitude. My equipment is seen by almost no one because there are no people where I go. That one would choose or not choose to use a lens depending on how they looked with that lens, is to me, hilarious.

Vivek,

I looked at 800 and e several times.  Just couldn't find the practicallity of it.  It wasn't until a friend told me about the updated live view (still not as good as Sony) and we had a head to head photo comparison. 

One look and I was sold. 

The Nikon education is going well.  It's a much more complicated camera than the Sony and not as high as 'hit rates' but this has also evolved because a Nikon miss is often better than a Sony hit.

I've started a blog on wordpress where I hope to show others the differences in a fair and open way. 

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/

Vivek,

I looked at 800 and e several times.  Just couldn't find the practicallity of it.  It wasn't until a friend told me about the updated live view (still not as good as Sony) and we had a head to head photo comparison. 

One look and I was sold. 

The Nikon education is going well.  It's a much more complicated camera than the Sony and not as high as 'hit rates' but this has also evolved because a Nikon miss is often better than a Sony hit.

I've started a blog on wordpress where I hope to show others the differences in a fair and open way. 

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/

Max, Ex-Nikon user here. :)   There is nothing that Nikon can do to make me buy any of their cameras again. :(

I rented the Otus 55 and shot it side by side with Sonnar 55 on an A7R and frankly ended up liking the Sonnar better.  Where I had comparable photos the difference in quality - sharpness, bokeh, color reproduction - were very nearly undetectable, but I got a lot more useable shots with Sonnar.  The Otus is a beast and any adapter is going to have hit or miss build quality issues.  It's a gorgeous, solid, incredibly well-built lens, but it never felt practical in the field.  Unless I were in a completely controlled studio environment or had a native body - like the 810 - to put it on I don't see it being worth the premium.  (And yes, I realize this discussion was about the Otus 85). 

My impression is, that most posters here are just talking theory!

I had the Nikon D3 (1200gr.) and the Nikkor 14-24mm (1000gr.) for about 5 years, very havy.

I canceled my order for the D800e and sold all my Nikon gear two years ago and got the A7R asap when it became available.

I use the OTUS 1,4/85mm with Canon ZE mount with a Metabones IV adapter on the A7R without any problems. I focus open and the camera and adapter stops down. Control with the camera and EXIF is perfect. No chance for it with Nikon adapterd lenses. Even more problems with Nikon G lenses!

With a heavy lens like the Nikkor 14-24 or the OTUS I don't hold the camera body but hold the lens. Who is holding a 1kg lens on a DSLR by just holding the camera body?? On a tripod the system mounts on the adapter and not on the body, that balances it without problems.

Robert,
"I was unable to control the aperture with a dial on my a7R.Without aperture control I was forced to shoot with the aperture stopped down fully to f/16"
What did you not like on the bad adapter? Any Nikon adapter is all manual. There is no aperture control and you have to stop down manually.
BTW: stopping down an OTUS to f/16 you really don't need the potential of this lens, as you loose all by diffraction. Get a cheaper and lighter 85mm.

"Jason Lanier reviewed the Metabones IV adapter"
nobody is expecting a AF performance on an adapted lens.
He said, "for Nikon... fit... with no issue"
He is complaining about the AF speed on the Metabones,

with Nikon you don't have any AF at all!!!

here is my album with OTUS 1,4/85mm:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dierktopp/sets/72157648057411871/

OTUS 1.4/85mm Canon ZE mount on Metabones IV on A7R

15176904859_6254a43a82_b.jpg

with f/1.4

15186321917_69f153fd5d_b.jpg

15813061646_66b209aef5_b.jpg

stitched multi row panorama with f/1.4, 180 MPixel

15595083506_e3ebbc2c1b_b.jpg

Will you be posting real-world image samples, rather than meaningless graphs?

Imatest and definitive results are far more meaningful than "that leaf looks sharp to me" horsesheet comparisons.    There will be a mix of qualitative and quantitative test results as time goes on. 

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/zeiss-apo-sonnar-135mm-imatest-on-sony-a7r-and-nikon-d810/  

Zeiss 135mm apo test is up but there are no pictures for you lotusbeater.  

Maybe this is more your style -  http://www.highlightskids.com/hidden-pictures/interactive/dragon-parade