Strange shutter speed problem. Please help

Hi everyone!

I have a very strange problem with my A7S and I can't get my head around it.

For some reason when I use shutter speed dial it just gets stuck looping around the same number and not letting me set the speed to what I want.

When set to automatic the speed changes accordingly no problem but when I try and do it manually I keep having this issue. I've also tested the same dial to adjust the aperture and it works fine so I doubt very much it's a hardware issue.

I have tried it in all shooting modes and also performed a factory reset but no change.

I have posted a video below so you can see...

Has anyone had this issue before? I hope it's just a setting that I'm too stupid to realise.

Would really appreciate any help guys.

Thanks.

Guest Peter Kelly

That looks like a fault with the rear dial.

The way to check for certain is to swap the wheels in the menu from SS/Fno. to FNo./SS

If you get the aperture stuck then you can be certain the wheel is faulty.

I actually think this is a design flaw of the Mk1 series (although I prefer using them to the Mk2), in that I think water and dirt 'flow' down the grooves.

I feel certain Sony discovered this afterwards, but haven't admitted to it, and it goes some way to understanding the new design and why the evasive attitude regarding 'weather sealing'.

If you still have warranty left you 'might' get it repaired for nothing, but Sony may say it is caused by water damage and charge you.

If your warranty has expired you could try (very much at your own risk!!!) dripping some electrical contact cleaning fluid down the side and repeatedly turning the dial.

I have had a situation where that worked in the past, but not with the A7, so have no idea what might happen.

Good luck and I hope you get it fixed!

That looks like a fault with the rear dial.

The way to check for certain is to swap the wheels in the menu from SS/Fno. to FNo./SS

If you get the aperture stuck then you can be certain the wheel is faulty.

I actually think this is a design flaw of the Mk1 series (although I prefer using them to the Mk2), in that I think water and dirt 'flow' down the grooves.

I feel certain Sony discovered this afterwards, but haven't admitted to it, and it goes some way to understanding the new design and why the evasive attitude regarding 'weather sealing'.

If you still have warranty left you 'might' get it repaired for nothing, but Sony may say it is caused by water damage and charge you.

If your warranty has expired you could try (very much at your own risk!!!) dripping some electrical contact cleaning fluid down the side and repeatedly turning the dial.

I have had a situation where that worked in the past, but not with the A7, so have no idea what might happen.

Good luck and I hope you get it fixed!

Hi peter,

Thanks for the response.

Interesting what you say about the weather sealing. I suppose it could be the issue as I am often out and about with it so maybe some moisture has got into it. 

I tried the swap that you mentioned and indeed it is the same with the aperture now as it was with shutter speed which I find strange as when I change to different priority modes the dial works so it's kind of confusing. This actually provides me with quite a good compromise since most of my lenses have manual aperture I rarely use the aperture dial so now I've swithced them I have control of shutter speed again so thank you for the tip! That will definitely keep me going while I look into getting it properly fixed. :-)

Another question you might know: I purchased my A7S in the UK but I now live in Canada. Do you think I can still take/send it to a Sony centre in Canada and it would still be covered?

Thanks again

Thom

Guest Peter Kelly

If there is still life on the warranty I'm sure Sony will honour it. I think any policy they have regarding 'grey imports' is only to stop dealers cheating the system rather than preventing people from emigrating!