Continuous AF not working with metabones EF

austinp

Hey everyone, Im new to sony alpha cameras and just got the A7s II so Im still trying to figure it out.  I have the Metabones mark IV smart adapter but cannot get continous autofocus to work properly with my Canon EF lenses.  Everything I google says that it should work with this adapter but every time i try to select AF C it says that its not available with the lens i have. Im mostly trying it with my canon 16-35 f/2.8L but i also tried with my canon 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8 and it doesnt work for any of them.  any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Continuous AF and single AF both work fine on the A7ii with the recent firmware update, I also use the Metabones 4 smart adapter with canon EF lenses (50 STM, 24 2.8 IS, 100L, 200L ini) and they now work a treat with the recent firmware updates for both the camera and the adapter. I'd be surprised if that's not the case for the A7sii...have u checked the Metabones site for their firmware updates?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This is a reply I received from sales at metabones yesterday when I asked about an adapter that will support the A-C. I too, was reading conflicting information on the internets.

Dear Graeme,

Thanks for your enquiry!

Both the smart adapter and speed booster do not support Continuous AF.

Canon EF Lens to Sony E mount T Smart Adapter Mark IV

Canon EF Lens to Sony E mount T Speed booster ULTRAf 0.71x
This Speed Booster ULTRA is NOT fully compatible with full-frame Sony A7, A7R and A7S. When Speed Booster® ULTRA is used with Sony A7, A7R and A7S, the camera will turn on the "APS-C Size Capture" mode automatically.

Please feel free to contact us if you need further information.

Regards
Elsie
GBI Ltd

If Trad is getting different results, it would be great if they could post their camera settings.

Regards,

Metabones Mk IV + A7ii & A7RII work with Single AF (Contrast detection+PDAF) and  Continuous AF(Contrast detectionPDAF). Focus is fast and precise. 

A7SII, A7R, A7, A6000 work only with Single AF (Contrast detection)... you can safely they that they don't work(it's terribly slow). :)

A7 II with Metabones IV T + 300mm EF IS USM L does AF-C. Not thoroughly tested yet though, as I only got the adapter and lens the other day. :)

Both camera and adapter need to be on the latest firmwares as of today (camera 2.00 MB 0.47)

It even does autofocus with this lens and the 2x teleconverter.

/A

How well does the Metabones IV work with longer lenses like the 400 5.6 L or the Tamron 150-600?

NicoG on DPReview has created a database where users report how well AF with adapted lenses works

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56895414

AF should work with EF 400 5.6 (A7II and A7RII) and the Metabones IV adapter and the latest firmware on adapter and camera.