A7M2 firmware update coming

foto-fanatic

Hopefully it'll improves the AF (focus hunting?)

on adapted lenses?

Hopefully so, but it could as easily have rather

the opposite effect .... until MetaBones writes

a further firmware update. There's this annoying

cat-and-mouse game between OEM firmware

and 3rd party devices' firmware. Tag ! You're IT !

[Pun intentional].

`

This is the official press release by Sony:

https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-adds-uncompressed-raw-and-phase-detect-af-for-faster-and-more-precise-autofocus-to-%CE%B17-ii-full-frame-camera/

I quote:

New Features to be enabled via firmware update available November 18th

However, if the release date has indeed been officially brought forward to the 17th of November, I shall be most pleased.

I got the fw 2.0 for A7II yesterday on the Sony US support site! Installed without any problems. Just briefly, I tested with Sony EF 24-70 f4.0, AF speed is sensibly better ( with fw v. 1.02 ), no hunting in good light, in low light is slightly worse than ingood light, but still better than before. Also tested with Sigma 150 f2.8 macro HSM OSS ( Sony A-mount ), drastically improved AF speed, very close to Sony/Minolta A mount, still has a single hunt towards infinite and goes back to nail the precise AF point. That doesn't happen every time, mostly on lower light or small apertures ( above f5.6 ). With Minolta 70-200 f2.8 G SSM the AF speed improvement is similar to the Sigma 150 f2.8 tested, but almost no hunting at all. 

I'll post some pictures and more details later.

I got the fw 2.0 for A7II yesterday on the Sony US support site! Installed without any problems. Just briefly, I tested with Sony EF 24-70 f4.0, AF speed is sensibly better ( with fw v. 1.02 ), no hunting in good light, in low light is slightly worse than ingood light, but still better than before. Also tested with Sigma 150 f2.8 macro HSM OSS ( Sony A-mount ), drastically improved AF speed, very close to Sony/Minolta A mount, still has a single hunt towards infinite and goes back to nail the precise AF point. That doesn't happen every time, mostly on lower light or small apertures ( above f5.6 ). With Minolta 70-200 f2.8 G SSM the AF speed improvement is similar to the Sigma 150 f2.8 tested, but almost no hunting at all. 

I'll post some pictures and more details later.

I forgot to say that I`m using the Sony LA-EA3 adapter for all A-mount lenses. I also tested with the Sony 70-300 f4.5-6.3G SSM and it behaved similar to the other A mount lenses I tested up to now.