Which fisheye option for A7II/A7rII?

tamas970

I don't have the body yet, but one has to plan with lenses longer ahead. Are there any better solutions, than the SEL057FEC? Reviews don't exactly rave about it... BTW reviews on 3rd party fisheye options, canon incl are not much better. Does anyone had the chance to compare the converter to a native fisheye head-to-head?​

I have the A7R2, an MB IV T converter and a Canon EF 8-15mm F4L fisheye zoom (migrated from Canon and keeping some EF lenses due to their sharpness and overall quality that Sony just can't match yet).

While I have'nt tried this combo yet I've used the EF 8-15mm F4L with a Canon 5D3 and it is very sharp. Not sure if you'd consider such a combination but I'm going to test the 8-15mm F4L on the A7R2 soon.and if you wish I can get back here and tell you how it works out.

I have the A7R2, an MB IV T converter and a Canon EF 8-15mm F4L fisheye zoom (migrated from Canon and keeping some EF lenses due to their sharpness and overall quality that Sony just can't match yet).

While I have'nt tried this combo yet I've used the EF 8-15mm F4L with a Canon 5D3 and it is very sharp. Not sure if you'd consider such a combination but I'm going to test the 8-15mm F4L on the A7R2 soon.and if you wish I can get back here and tell you how it works out.

I am interested...

Thanks, I am signing up too! I am most imterested in corner CA/softness, because thats the biggest issue with the sony fisheye converter. In the center it's tack sharp.

I recommend the Zenit 16/2.8 m42, with a suitable adapter (I adapted mine to Minolta MD, so I can use it with the rest of my legacy glass using a Minolta MD > Sony adapter). I use it on the original A7r.

Being Russian glass there is a lot of sample variation, so buy from a seller that accept returns, but I found one new on eBay for less than 100€ and pulled the plug while I was saving for a Contax or a Minolta one. No need anymore. The lens is decent at f/2.8, and tack sharp from f/5.6 as long as you focus it and not just zone focus (and yes, the borders as well).

It is quite resistant to flare as well, even shooting straight into the sun. Once you correct in Lightroom or Photoshop a bit of CA on the sides in hi-contrast areas (the usual suspects: branches against the sky etc.) the lens is great.

You can find some of my early test shots here on the forum:

http://www.sonyalphaforum.com/topic/672-zenitar-16mm-f28-fish-eye-and-a7r/

Guest Peter Kelly

I use the SAL16F28, a hangover from my A mount inventory, but as focussing is not so critical with a fisheye I kept it.

I was always pleased with the results on my A99, but haven't had any opportunities with the A7Rii yet, as I've only had them for a couple of weeks.

I'm hopeful though!

The Rokinon 12mm and (APS-C) 8mm f/2.8 are amazing lenses. I am using the 8mm on my A7Rii partly because the kind of shots I take with it aren't anything that I need more than the cropped 18mp+ image leaves me with. There is an excellent review of the Rok 12mm and how well it does with de-fishing. The 8mm gives the same type of view but just smaller, is already native E-mount, and TINY. I can take it any time I have even a small bag instead of leaving a big lens and adapter back at home.

So if you just want something in the bag for occasional use: 8mm. If you are a power user of a fisheye, 12mm. Check out this video that compares the 12mm and some 16mm.

Here was just a test shot of the 8mm on the A7Rii to see how much is blocked off.

DSC00122-XL.jpg

Update:

A7R2 with EF 8-15 F4L (using MB IV T) works really well. I took some images at F4 and F8 (at 8mm and 15mm) and they are at least as sharp as on my my (now sold :)) 5D3. The beauty of the EF 8-15mm F4L is that - besides being very sharp - it is also very light and compact, very comfortable with the A7R2 without grip! When I have more light (it's getting dark in Denmark at this hour) I'll upload some images.

I recommend the Zenit 16/2.8 m42, with a suitable adapter (I adapted mine to Minolta MD, so I can use it with the rest of my legacy glass using a Minolta MD > Sony adapter). I use it on the original A7r.

Being Russian glass there is a lot of sample variation, so buy from a seller that accept returns, but I found one new on eBay for less than 100€ and pulled the plug while I was saving for a Contax or a Minolta one. No need anymore. The lens is decent at f/2.8, and tack sharp from f/5.6 as long as you focus it and not just zone focus (and yes, the borders as well).

It is quite resistant to flare as well, even shooting straight into the sun. Once you correct in Lightroom or Photoshop a bit of CA on the sides in hi-contrast areas (the usual suspects: branches against the sky etc.) the lens is great.

You can find some of my early test shots here on the forum:

http://www.sonyalphaforum.com/topic/672-zenitar-16mm-f28-fish-eye-and-a7r/

Forgot to mention: I need AF for underwater photography:(

Comparing the EF 8-15 reviews with the SEL057FEC results, I don't see huge differences.

Does anyone had the chance to compare the converter to a native fisheye head-to-head?​

I can only go off of reports from friends who have had both. First, you are talking about using the not-super-sharp 28mm with the FE converter. So take a less than perfect lens, distort that out more, and you have something that is fun but not for critical viewing. However, for needing good AF on anything other than the A7Rii, it would be a good option. For underwater, what is more important: focusing ability or optical clarity. If a shot is OOF, it doesn't matter how sharp a lens is.

Here is the best review I've read on the converters. http://www.lonelyspeck.com/sony-fe-28mm-f2-astrophotography-review/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Forgot to mention: I need AF for underwater photography:(

Comparing the EF 8-15 reviews with the SEL057FEC results, I don't see huge differences.

you will need a HUGE Dome  if you want to house the A7II housing with a FF FE lens. Maybe better off housing a A6000 with a AF FE lens. JMO. Jump over to Scubaboard to ask your question or Wetpixel. There are also vendors that can help you with a UW setup.