Triggering Canon Speedlight with Sony Flash

Hi,

I was wondering if its possible to trigger a Canon  600 speedlight with a Sony HVL43m flash.  I have both, including a Yonguno flash.    I still have the speedlight from when I had Canon, so I was wondering if I could make use of it as a way to off camera flash.

I can easily trigger between the Canon and Yonguno, but am having a hard time figuring out how to do it with the Sony.

If its possible, how do I do it?

Thanks.

The only way i can think of would be to use wireless radio triggers and it will only be in annual mode (no TTL)

To explain this, you need to understand a flash is now a computer in its own right and each brand has its own language.

Canon speaks Windows

Nikon speaks Macintosh

Sony speaks Linux

etc

Using wireless triggers should allow only one command : Fire

All of the other features will be lost

Lol you lost me somewhere...

I'm actually already using a radio trigger for my Sony flash.  I'm currently using the photix odin TTL trigger, so I'm not worried about radio triggers right now.

As far as triggering with a Canon flash, I was just wondering if the Sony HVL flash can trigger the Canon or 3rd party flash.  

I had no problem triggering the yonguno with the canon, but when I tried using the sony hvl, I couldn't flash trigger any of those.  :(

Which camera model ?

Which Yongnuo model ? Some are radio triggered , most also have optical trigger.

If your Canon and Yongnuo are actually communicating by radio trigger ( Canon compatible only ), then their language as explained in previous post is totally unknown to the Sony flash and will never work. Same will happen if you try to trigger the Sony flash by the 600 on a Canon camera. 

This is why i was suggesting radio triggers. Phottix Odin may actually have issues with your Canon flash since you would need to purchase the Sony version and it will only work in Manual mode without the remote power level change capability. Cheap manual only triggers for both your Canon and Yongnuo will be the simplest route.

If you were using optical trigger, it may be possible to change the optical settings to make the Yongnuo trigger with the HVL-F43 as the on-camera trigger but this is a long shot and will definitely not work if your 43 remains in TTL mode.

To work, the Yongnuo has to be set as optical remote ( i don't know the specifics for this flash not knowing the model no )

My understanding is you were using the Canon on camera and the Yongnuo off camera and whatever setting on the Yongnuo was, has to be repeated or adjusted in another manner to try to make it work with the 43 on camera if they were using an optical triggering of some sort. 

The Canon will not work unless it also has optical trigger that can be adjusted for pre-flash ( cameras send a pre-flash milliseconds before the exposure to allow the TTL meter evaluate the scene to provide proper exposure. Some cameras  also send such a signal even when flash is set in Manual Mode. Optical triggers traditionally fire when they see a flash burst so if the camera is sending this pre-flash, it triggers the remote flash ahead of the actual shutter open for exposure. Newer flash models that offer optical triggering sometimes have an option for this.