Should I wait for new cam announcement or buy now the A7s now?

Tala

Thanks for the replies  :)

Its a good point of view 3irik, always something better will come out...

I can wait 2/3 weeks but not more, I was already trying to order one, than noticed that maybe pretty soon the new model will come out...

Any idea of when Sony could launch the new A7s?

Hi all,

Im thinking of getting the A7s this week and saw online that maybe there will be a new version pretty soon.

What would you do?

Thanks

I have the same prediciment, with maybe the advantage that I do not need the camera now.

History, when DXO crowned the A7s king of low light I started looking into it. Having trouble with bad low light pictures I took anyway with my current gear and issues to have correct exposures at the shutter speeds I wanted to use, I concluded that I wanted a A7s or at least a Nikon DF or D3s. However I had just purchased a 500mm and had to build up cash.

Next I started to read on old manual focus lenses and their use on the A7s, I looked for good deals and bought a collection that also works on my dads old film camera, but buying the A7s became a decision.

The A7RII or A9 might have an influence on the A7S price, but then it would have to have similar features (A7RII not likely), the A9 might well have good ISO sensitivity with more MPIX, professional features and internal 4K recording. This is probably to be announced before the 12 Feb 2015 (CP+ start).

There is only a bunch of people that is hoping an A7s with the A7II stabilistation (IBIS) system will appear, but there is no indication for that at the moment.

So yes there might be a change in the next days, but I doubt it will be major, the A7RII not relevant, the A9 a complete different class of camera and the A7s still strong on the market.

I'm waiting till after the 15th myself though.

Vince_Lux, what do you mean?

What is your Idea?

OK change of situation.

1) Sony seems to have announced that there would be no new body on CP+; that means it will probably take 2 months before the next body is announced.

2) The issue with the e-bay offer was that is was 50€ cheaper then the best price in any official shop ever, but unclear where it came from, etc... other country shipping, but from a camera dealer and payment with Paypall (guarantee). Still I would have gone for it at 100€ less (= price of gray import).

3) I found an offer close to my home, the offer was higher then expected, but it included a second battery and flash. all at about -30% to the new price. So in total I could try and buy something which was originally from an offical local dealer => I bought it. (price of the body was 25€ over my target price).

Nevertheless, the man that sold had just overinvested: Leica M 60, Leica Monochrome, Leica Noctilux, Leica tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4, etc... so sold the Sony A7s to free up cash for an other project; they are still hard to find second hand.

I'd love to see an A7s mkii with the IBIS.

I've got the A7ii right now, and would like to get another, but i'll hold out till later this year and see what else they release. As it is, im almost sold on getting the A7s. Just don't have the actual need for it yet.

• 2 months later...

If the current A7s has the ability to do what you want/need then buy it now. If there is a feature lacking then continue to live in hope (or find an alternative). I wanted the ergonomics of the A72 and the high ISO of the A7s. I could have waited and hoped that the next body would have both but I didn't... I bought both. Personally I can't think of any feature I am lacking. Buying now has the advantage that you can have fun with the camera sooner!

Still waiting for the release? Rumors are for something end of month.

Rumors are for an A7II type camera, Not an A7s. They are still selling like hotcakes, so I am sure they do not need to come out with a newer version anytime soon. I just jumped on buying one and Love it. But then again I use it just for video. Canon for Photographs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Sony users we are really happy with our trusty nex vg30h workhorses for video an an occaisonal still photo. Fortunatley we are super busy here with lots of wedding work

lined up for the next few months. But I would really like to upgrade my equipment and use the vg30 for a backup. The A7s seems like a great step up because the beautiful FF

image quality. (Unfortunatley the Sony FS7 is just out of the budget). However, do we also need a movcam cage/rode mic/beachtek/zeiss lenses and maybe a Ronin m1 to make

this camera user friendly for film making? Buy now or wait for internal 4K - Please advise...

• 3 weeks later...

Lens Rentals has one in "fair" condition for dirt cheap.

If you have Sony Cameras or like the ergonomics and menu system fine, but I almost sent mine back.

It took me several weeks to set up the camera properly to get good Video in poor/low light.

It has now literally turned night into day.

I use my A7s with 28-70 Nikkor and an Odyssey 7Q+ 4k recorder to DownRes to 1080P30.