Some Batis 25 Images

Guest all8

This one is at f8 with ISO 160 on A7m2, unfortunately the detail is lost during upload. The DOF display on the lens body turns out to be really useful. I hope to get a better shot of this during the week as the weather has improved - blue sky and 25% cloud cover would be nice.

Full res on 500px - https://500px.com/photo/126587303/helfender-agrikultur-region-by-tim-rule?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=1853157

This one is shot almost into the Sun on a hazy afternoon. The Batis is wearing 1 Zeiss UV filter, a Lee Seven5 filter system stack with 0.6 soft grad and 0.6 hard grad (positioned higher up) to control the sky exposure. I notice no mechanical vignetting however in some instances there was some flare ... not sure the filter stack contributed (the shot conditions were difficult).

F8 and ISO 100, focus at about 6meters.

Full res on 500px : https://500px.com/photo/126811471/abstatt-autumn-by-tim-rule?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=1853157

This one is taken with the Seven5 system, the Big Stopper and a polarizer. Higher res on 500px ...

As a foot note, there was some light leak around the polarizer (cropped out of image) because the second filter slot was not in use. Its only visible in the long exposures and looks like +ve vignetting (white) ... and I think it could be fixed by filling the second slot. IIRC there are some documents on how to avoid this that came with the Seven5 Polarizer.

This is another close focus, F4 & ISO 100, with Ektar film simulation.

The great thing about this lens, is how easy it is to use and carry, and how well it performs.

Another one, taken wide open on a fairly gray evening. Exposure (lifting shadows) + contrast and curves was enough to produce this, which is nice enough.

It's been on the camera for almost a month with no compelling reason to remove it, a good sign, starting to comfortable with the focal length. Nice, simple, easy to use. The 85 might be interesting too, since its relatively compact (in comparison to the 70-200G4) - I can understand the attraction of that one.

Full size version on 500px

Shame they don't seem to make these lenses anymore. It's been out of stock since June..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They are still making them, just that demand is much higher than they expected.  Mine has just come into the store.  Won't be able to pick it up until next week though as am abroad...

This is f6.3 and give some indication of the close focus characteristic. This is one significant advantage over rangefinder lenses which focus to around 700 mm, this one was around 250mm subject distance - same goes for the Loxia lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

Been wanting to get a shot like this for a few weeks now, took the wrong lens today (IMO) however the Batis really did OK and the image held up during some light post-processing - beautiful tones in the sky did not get any banding. Full res on 500px.

• 2 weeks later...

Again with the Lee Seven 5 filters, Big Stopper and Polarizer, F2.8, 30s and ISO400. The Little Stopper might be more appropriate in the darker forest, would help get the ISO back down to 100. I've noticed with the Seven 5 Polarizer that light will reflect of its back side frame, i.e. camera side, and into the filter stack. Shading the lens barrel will stop that, and aligning the filter frame correctly will minimize it.

• 2 weeks later...

Another one, at f8 and ISO 100, great lens for environmental portraits, AF is nice and fast, lens behaves well (there was a small - size of a small dust spot - reflection that I had to remove, however this probably comes from the filter I use).

The lens and focal length is very versatile. Possible to switch between landscape with precise manual focus, and then fast moving action photos. Really works well.