Smart Remote Control 4.0

dp2014

Pretty happy with this. The Android App works better on my LG G4 (connection issues solved).  Also so looking forward to the bulb functionality and hoping the continuous shooting means the App supports the A7Rii bracketing features.

Cannot find any news about when the Camera App will be updated to v4.0 though. 

Smart Remote 4.0 out now and I have had a chance to test it.

Bulb works well.  Bracketing not supported :-(

Still, this is good progress from Sony.

Cool new feature is 'See in camera images'  - allows you to review images that you have not taken with the Smart Remote, but which are on the card.  Great feature.

Touch Shutter - shoots by touching the phone screen instead of the on screen button.  Can't see a use for this as I use the screen to choose focus points.

If you have no card in the camera you can shoot and save the review image to the phone.  Very handy as I once travelled away and left all my cards at home.  This would have saved me.

Lastly you select which images are transferred to the camera rather than all being transferred as soon as you taken them.  This is quite handy as it is faster.  And has probably been implemented to allow the continuous shooting to be handled.  That said on continuous shooting there is a series of images to review almost in real time when in this mode.

Settings like image transfer quality are now fully controlled on the phone App - rather than split between the camera menu and the phone.  So you set the image transfer size in 'view images on camera.'  This will be handy as a lot of uncompressed images on your mobile phone memory will fill it up pretty quickly.  Now you can choose by photo which size you want to bring over.  Very clever Sony.

It is a pretty solid update from Sony with new features and stabilisation improvements.